Final nail for Armstrong?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Mike Sales

Re: Final nail for Armstrong?

Post by Mike Sales »

bigjim wrote: All the supposed evidence is based on hearsay.

There are also financial documents, which are not hearsay either.

bigjim wrote: I don't think either organisation comes away from this with any honour.

I'm not clear which two organisations you mean. UCI certainly looks bad, but I think USADA have done very well, in the face of a huge campaign from LA's fans, including death threats.
Isn't it time you admitted to yourself that LA is bang to rights. Everyone else has, including his sponsors, Ligget, even McQuid.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
blaugrana

Post by blaugrana »

Not all were accomplices.

And some prosecutions rely on accomplices' evidence. After the omertà come the arrepentidos.

And amen to the praise for USADA. They've done a magnificent job of blowing open doping in cycling, despite all the conspiracy theorists, the threats and the criticism.
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Post by Penfold »

It sad that some forum members still believe that the earth is flat.

No evidence!? Get real guys.
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I've just read that Oakley have joined Trek and Nike in dumping LA. And that the TdF organisers want their prize money back, and the insurance co. which sued him him last does too.
If this goes on I might start to feel sorry for him, or not.
It reminds me of the saying, " Be nice to people you meet on the way up, because you may meet them again on the way down." Or words to that effect.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Isn't it time you admitted to yourself that LA is bang to rights. Everyone else has, including his sponsors, Ligget, even McQuid.

Oh we have to agree with everybody else do we? You one of the sheep then?
I don't profess to know either way and I retain the right to think for myself. I just thought you had to be pronounced guilty in a court of law. Not judged by a pack of baying hounds and self interested, hypocritical, lynch mobs. I'm not a particular fan of LA. I don't do hero worship, but I do believe in proper justice.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I began to write a post in reply to bigjim's, but a couple of sentences in I lost the will to live. Then I imagined him as the village priest trying in vain to stop the villagers with their scythes and pitchforks and firebrands heading up the hill to burn the evil lord's castle. I hope they don't forget the garlic and stake.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mike Sales wrote:... the TdF organisers want their prize money back, ....

There are also lots of cuddly lions to account for. :wink:
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

[quote]I began to write a post in reply to bigjim's, but a couple of sentences in I lost the will to live. Then I imagined him as the village priest trying in vain to stop the villagers with their scythes and pitchforks and firebrands heading up the hill to burn the evil lord's castle. I hope they don't forget the garlic and stake.[quote]
Baahhh....
Si

Post by Si »

All: easy with the ickle snipes please. There's no reason why you should agree with another's view of LA, however should you wish to try to convince some one of your view then please do so via friendly reasoned debate rather than micky taking as we wouldn't want the thread to be binned because it ends up going the way than many LA threads have gone on other more 'aggressive' forums, and we wouldn't want people to feel that they can't contribute for fear of getting an earful just because they don't hold the same view as someone else.

Also remember that what you might think of as friendly banter may not seem so to someone else, so please go the extra yard to make sure that you don't accidentally offend.

Thanks.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I'm sorry if I offended. I thought I was taking the mick out of both sides.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I know little about cycle racing, less about doping and almost nothing about this man Armstrong, if that is his name. However, from what I gather, he is in trouble for using banned drugs to enhance his performance. These drugs aren't banned AFAIK in order to maintain a level playing field (unlike say parts of a bike and also not because the playing field of the Tour de France can ever be level) but in order to protect the health of current and future riders. Can anyone please say then what ill effects the illegal activities of Armstrong et al have had on their health?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
dslippy

Post by dslippy »

Bigjim
All the supposed evidence is based on hearsay.

Simply nonsense. There has been ample direct evidence.
'I heard Lance Armstrong say . .' is not hearsay evidence when considering the actions of LA.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Simply nonsense.

That's actually quite offensive as well. I feel it quite sad, that people will hide behind keyboards and insult others when they would often not dare to say such things in a face to face situation. A feature of our electronic age I suppose.
Y'know I just can't be bothered to post anymore. :(
hondated

Post by hondated »

Y'know I just can't be bothered to post anymore. :(

Jim cut that out now.

We cannot always agree with each other and we all at times express ourselves in ways that may offend others but given you have been contributing since 2008 and in that time posted many times I am sure that with others we do not want to lose your valuable contribution to the various threads.

If your like me this dreary weather isn't helping to make you feel any happier either.

Cheers Ted
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

horizon wrote:I know little about cycle racing, less about doping and almost nothing about this man Armstrong, if that is his name. However, from what I gather, he is in trouble for using banned drugs to enhance his performance. These drugs aren't banned AFAIK in order to maintain a level playing field (unlike say parts of a bike and also not because the playing field of the Tour de France can ever be level) but in order to protect the health of current and future riders. Can anyone please say then what ill effects the illegal activities of Armstrong et al have had on their health?

I have been thinking this too.

If his performance was enhanced, and he was bullying other riders to do the same, surely the playing field was level?

Has anyone been harmed by all of this?
Mick F. Cornwall