Final nail for Armstrong?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
gerrythemerc

Re: Final nail for Armstrong?

Post by gerrythemerc »

After all that has been said I still feel that the riders are the victims of a 'Continental system' that has been in place for years and has been kept in place by those not riding the bikes for commercial reasons. The riders are committed to making a 'go of it' at that stage in their lives so they do it and shut up - or they are 'out'. Armstrong joined the system but had the advantage of American commercial advice and kept control of his destiny. You blame him for bullying - was Hinault a bully or Merckx - you bet. In a strange way it is the Armstrong so called cheating combined with the American legal system that has exposed the whole rotten system. It should have been the Continental system/UCI that brought it about. That is a disgrace and along with other 'manipulations' of the sport they have done, it makes me feel that there needs to be a clear-out of personel. Most importantly the man at the top must set the tone and it will permeate down otherwise we won't have put this matter to bed at all. It must happen for the sake of the riders. You need more outside sponsorship to bring in more money to pay riders a living wage. Its impossible to a ride Tour and then ride apres Tour kermesses to earn enough money without resorting to some form of booster. Even the stars have to do it to be able to ride as many as possible. That has to stop if doping is to stop. I accept that the odd super rider like Nicole Cook did not get the wins she was entitled to because didn't dope when others did. She also lost the national road race when other riders worked her over because they were riding as a team in a race that was supposed to be an 'individual' event. They also cheated but not with dope maybe. The Pro World road race has always features a National Team tactic which shouldn't apply but its impossible to stop. Its still cheating in the pure sense.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Its also interesting that triathlons adopted a no drafting rule of 5 - 15 mts :?: then it was dropped :o
So now a individualy sport has the added lets team up to stay in the race or whatever reason the non team event is spruced up to look like a PRO TEAM RACE :!:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

Generally, only triathlons for 'elite' competitors (effectively, professionals or semi-professionals), and only some of those races (mostly shorter distance ones, such as the Olympic competition) allow drafting. This was done to avoid making the sport too boring for television. Purists objected, but since money talks, they were ignored, in my view rightly, for the good of the sport as a whole.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From yesterday's Daily T
I don't know whether to laugh or cry
I don't know whether to laugh or cry
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

Michael Hutchinson‏@Doctor_Hutch23 Apr
"I suppose if you think the whole food chain through, what we're leading towards here is ergogenic lasagne. #godolphinhorses"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

McVouty wrote:Michael Hutchinson‏@Doctor_Hutch23 Apr
"I suppose if you think the whole food chain through, what we're leading towards here is ergogenic lasagne. #godolphinhorses"

Which,when you think about it,brings a whole new meaning to the term "fast food" :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gerrythemerc

Post by gerrythemerc »

Just to add my thought about the Triathlon sport. I do admire the guts and fitness of those who take part but I am aware of the cheating in the swim section. As I understand it with the adoption of wet suits ie, flotation aid, swimming close behind a competitor = liquid drafting, grabbing an ankle and pulling them back helps to make up for your lack of ability. When you get on the bike take all the shelter you can - of course ! I laugh when I see a top triathlete several hundred metres out in front on the bike and realising they are getting stuffed turn round and wave to those behind to come up and join them. It is a bit stupid and not a good spectacle with or without a 'bunch' forming. I don't see how it can work unless the bike section is first and is run as a time trial with no drafting. Currently a good swimmer simply loses his lead gained in the swim and gets crucified out on his own on the bike. The answer is swim with the group, ride with the group and then run your heart out.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

gerrythemerc wrote:The answer is swim with the group, ride with the group and then run your heart out.

Yes; I guess that (is now) kind of the idea, who can come through the swim and cycle with the most energy in reserve? Much like cycle racing is often about putting in a minimum effort until the correct moment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why don't they all relax then?
Gentle swim, gentle pootle on their bikes, then run their hearts out? :wink:

Better idea is to do it all as an individual TT leaving at 15min intervals. That'll sort out the men from the boys.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Mick F wrote:Why don't they all relax then?
Gentle swim, gentle pootle on their bikes, then run their hearts out? :wink:

Because it just takes one person to not relax? Same as in cycle racing, everyone is trying to relax as much as possible, without falling behind in the process.