Welsh Cyclocross

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Graham O

Welsh Cyclocross

Post by Graham O »

I'm wondering if anyone on here knows why the Welsh Cyclocross League only runs races in South and Mid Wales (yet the Welsh Championship is in the North)? There is the North Wales cyclocross league, but races are not sanctioned by British Cycling. I'm assuming that there has been a bust up in the past, and various forums and Facebook groups are closed and difficult to join. It's not actually very welcoming to a newcomer.
AJ101

Re: Welsh Cyclocross

Post by AJ101 »

Are there organisers in the north willing to step forward. With all these things it's a pain in the ar5e to organise so takes dedication from whoever steps forward. Maybe there just isn't anyone around there at the moment able to put in the effort?

EDIT: Just reminded me I did the 3 valleys race down south a few years back, that was absolutely awesome. So yeah a few of those in the North would be great too!
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

There is a North Wales league which, to my untrained eyes, is well supported and well organised. There is a Welsh Cyclo Cross Facebook group, but it's a closed group. Why? Don't they want people taking part or getting involved?
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

Agree, Facebook groups should be open, especially if you want to get more people in.

At a guess I'd say levies and rider licence restrictions, the unsanctioned events should be a fair bit cheaper.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yes, I'm guessing the North events are run under TLI rules and the levies are cheaper. Cross, despite it's popularity, is becoming very expensive. When I first started competing in the Notts and Derby league, about 12 years ago, it was £6 to enter (run under BCCA rules). It's now £18 if you turn up and enter on the day or £15 if you enter in advance. Of that £3 goes to BC (levy), £1 to the EMCCA, £1 to the Notts and Derby prize fund, £3 for your timing chip (non-refundable).
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com