Contador...

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
[XAP]Bob

Contador...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

We all remember the crash...

This was published recently...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/30507188

So it was 47mph crash, just hit something on the road (which had looked clear) whilst reaching for something to eat...
At that moment, I relaxed, I looked ahead, saw the road was clear and reached back into my pocket to get something to eat. That's when I hit something in the road, my bike jumped and I lost control.

The problem wasn't the pain from my tibia, it was the thought that I was in great form but couldn't carry on.

When I think I was going 77kmph at the time and I only broke my tibia, well, on balance, that's good. Maybe I lost the Tour, but I didn't lose my life.

My takeaway would be that at that kind of speed you just can't see far enough ahead to let go of the controls.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Re: Contador...

Post by Bonefishblues »

I expect he was wearing a helmet though
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

But these guys are professionals and are used to riding at these speeds.
They are not like us (or we aren't like them).
47 mph and I wouldn't be taking my hands of the bars at all.
But they have to eat and drink all the time when in a race so they will take any opportunity.
Seeing far enough ahead :?: well surely that will depend on the road.
Remember there is no oncoming traffic so all the road is generally theirs.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

There were a few riders in the vway, and very few people can analyse that much road vat that distance...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Descending at over 45mph I wouldn't be taking my hands off the bars, but they are racing on closed roads at the very peak of the cycling performance ladder so it's a totally different ball game. There's also no oncoming traffic to contend with. They hit speeds much faster than that on some of the descents and it doesn't always go according to plan. When it doesn't it's nasty!

Luckily that Contador fellow has access to some very talented doctors...... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My point was that 'saw the road was clear' and 'hit something on the road' are clearly contradictory... Mostly because 45mph is fast, so the human eye can't see all three hazards on that long a strip of tarmac.

Of course he'll make similar manoeuvres again, he is an excellent bike handler but none can analyse that much road when it is covered by other cyclists...
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

But they are in a race!
They are not going to slow down every time they want a drink or to eat.
Usually if there is something in the road then the rider in front will point out the problem.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

[XAP]Bob wrote:My point was that 'saw the road was clear' and 'hit something on the road' are clearly contradictory... Mostly because 45mph is fast, so the human eye can't see all three hazards on that long a strip of tarmac.

Of course he'll make similar manoeuvres again, he is an excellent bike handler but none can analyse that much road when it is covered by other cyclists...

Very true, but you don't win many Grand Tours riding at sensible speeds. :twisted:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No doubt a bar bag (requiring only one hand off the bars) would be considered an aero aid by the UCI