Free CTC Ride Leader Workshops - What's that all about?

gaz

Free CTC Ride Leader Workshops - What's that all about?

Post by gaz »

A few days back I got an e-mail from CTC about attending a free Ride Leader Workshop.

The full e-mail can be viewed here.

We now want to help more cycle groups develop knowledgeable on-road Ride Leaders, so we can support even more cyclists and offer a wider range of rides, bringing people together through the healthy and enjoyable activity we all know and love.

CTC would now like to offer you the chance to bring people together through the healthy and enjoyable activity of cycling with a fun-filled, FREE one-day Ride Leader workshop, aimed at both experienced Ride Leaders and those who would like to give it a try.

The linked web page address ends "free-1-day-ride-leader-course-ctc-members".

It had my interest, in the past I have been a CTC Ride Leader and I may* still be on my local group's Volunteer Leader List. The local Council Health Promotion rides and Sustrans are always looking for Ride Leaders but insist on CTC Road Ride Manager level or equivalent formal qualification.

So I asked if the Ride Leader Workshop was a CTC Road Ride Manager course. CTC Training responded:
No this is not the equivalent of the Road Ride Manager training course. It is a Ride leader workshop specifically designed for CTC members to offer guidance on how to lead a safe enjoyable ride.

CTC Member Groups can train Ride Leaders in house to lead CTC Member Group rides but have to provide a list of such members to National Office annually. To my knowledge CTC Affiliated Clubs can broadly do the same but it's only "best practice" to provide a list of names. IME outside organisations typically require CTC Ride Manager, MIAS Level 1 or British Cycling Sky Ride Leader qualifications as a minimum.

So I'm mystified on the purpose of these courses. In the broadest sense I can see that some training is better than no training but since I dont need a "CTC Ride Leader workshop certificate" to lead a CTC ride and I can't use it as qualification to lead a non-CTC ride, where does it fit in?

*I'm on the 2009 list which is the latest edition I can find on-line. I haven't led a ride since then and there's a good chance that I asked to be taken off.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Re: Free CTC Ride Leader Workshops - What's that all about?

Post by Si »

I'm guessing that it is dawning on someone that 'experienced cyclist' != 'good ride leader', and that the standard of ride leading within some parts of some MGs is a little, erm, 'interesting'. Thus they are offering a quick hit course to cover best practise for the typical MG ride. They are also looking to expand their offering to Affiliate groups as they have realised that this is where the future is as it has the potential to represent community cycling much more than the traditional MG these days.

The ride manager course and similar will probably be more concerned with leading less experienced riders and will be focused on snaking rather than the typical CTC MG ride where it's assumed that the majority of riders have the confidence and competence not to need hands held for every turn of the pedal. On the course being offered the actual riding bit isn't mandatory so one does have to wonder how much people can learn from it. I run a ride leaders course that's laid out the same: class room in the morning and (mandatory) riding in the afternoon. Often it doesn't matter how much you run through scenarios in theory in the class room, they don't sink in properly until you get to do them for real on the road.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gaz wrote:...
So I'm mystified on the purpose of these courses. In the broadest sense I can see that some training is better than no training but since I dont need a "CTC Ride Leader workshop certificate" to lead a CTC ride and I can't use it as qualification to lead a non-CTC ride, where does it fit in?

Without commenting on the different levels, CTC, etc. ('cos I know nothing about them), there could be many reasons for CTC offering the training. e.g. MGs have said "they don't have time" for the training e.g. CTC are not happy with the quality of MG training and feel they need to do it themselves e.g. CTC feel that MGs having more Ride Leaders than they feel they need would help spread the load and make MGs less dependent on a few individuals e.g. CTC feel they need to do something to tick another box (supporting MGs), etc., etc.

Not suggesting that any of the above e.g's are the reasons, but there could be many possible reasons.

Ian
Si

Post by Si »

Here you go...

CTC is offering these Free Ride Leader workshops for all CTC Members and representatives of both Member and Affiliated groups as part of the Big Bike Revival Campaign run earlier this year. We are running three pilot workshops in Guildford and Blackpool across September 19th-20th with a view to running a series of up to 40 further workshops in the coming months. You will be able to see further workshop availability after Sept 20th at http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/20150901-fre ... tc-members

The Ride Leader workshop is an informal opportunity for individuals with varying experience to build their knowledge and confidence of ride leading. As a workshop we want to recognise the vast experience of a large number of CTC Ride Leaders who can contribute in an interactive environment. The workshop covers the basic principles and considerations of leading group rides and will address a number of potential concerns volunteer leaders might have. This workshop differs to the CTC Ride Manager course which provides an accreditation and is designed to equip and assess individuals in both theoretical and practical elements for them to lead rides on a more formal or commercial basis. The course goes in to more detail and requires participants to demonstrate practical competence in leading a ride and in the planning phase including route planning. The Ride Manager course would be a natural progression from the workshop if a participant is keen to go into the content in much more detail and to achieve an accreditation that demonstrates their ability.

Kind Regards
Tejesh

Tejesh Mistry
Head of Development
CTC, the national cycling charity
gaz

Post by gaz »

Thank you Si.

Read in the context of CJ's Leading the CTC way thread the idea begins to make a bit more sense, as an opportunity to learn more than the CTC factsheet can tell you and to share and disseminate best practices.

With a bit of luck we'll have some feedback from participants in due course.

Edit 13/9: I went on a Sustrans led ride today, the ride leader and assistant having both been through Sustrans own in-house training, geared towards inexperienced riders on Sustrans routes. Interesting to see some of the techniques in action, mostly because they would have seemed out of place in a CTC ride setting. Some interesting discussion around the cost of CTC Road Ride Manager training too :shock: although I can't vouch for the accuracy of the figures quoted to me.#

Edit 11/10: At the start of the week I received an invitation to another round of workshops. Some intiguing claims are made:

Who doesn’t like cycling with their friends, new or old? We know the majority of CTC members do!

The majority of CTC members may well like cycling with their friends but the majority of CTC members certainly don't participate regularly in CTC Member Group (nor CTC Affiliate Group) rides.

So, if you would like to lead rides for people in your community, we welcome you to come along

So long as you wish to lead a ride under either a CTC MG or AG banner. Nobody else will recognise the certificate provided by the workshop.

... participants will learn all they need to know to lead an enjoyable and successful ride ...
Hmm, so if a participant learns everything they need to know what more would they learn on a CTC Ride Manager course?

These workshops are funded as part of the CTC Big Bike Revival programme funded by Department for Transport.

I wasn't previously aware that this formed part of the BBR project.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Gaz, I got a copy of this email, have signed up and am on a course in a couple of weeks time.

I was already in the process of becoming a ride leader for our local group, and as you describe the group offer in house training. The training the group offer takes the form of being co-leader of a ride and being mentored/supported by an existing leader. While I think this is a good system my irregular work shifts and short notice rosters mean I haven't been able to easily engage in the process at present. I did try taking annual leave a couple of times and planned to lead a ride with a mentor only to have both events rained off.

For me I think the course offers an alternative way to learn about being a ride leader & I have been able to fit it into my work schedule. I don't think it will teach me "everything I need to know", but looking at the programme I have been sent I do think it will be useful. Plus I get a bike ride to the venue and back and a free lunch!

If it would be helpful I can probably give some feedback after I've done the course.
PH

Post by PH »

I've signed up for the one in Derby in a couple of weeks. I'm assuming the pilots went well as they seem to have rolled them out all over the country. I'm not sure what to expect, but am looking forward to it, the passing on of best practice, ideas and tips can't be a bad thing even if it does nothing but reassure that you're doing it well already (Says he hopefully!)