Why does the CTC not promote Sportives?

merseymouth

Re: Why does the CTC not promote Sportives?

Post by merseymouth »

Hi All, Nice active response, but probably not what the pedaling optician wanted?
I suspect that the "All the gear, no idea" brigade want to have things handed to them on a plate - the thought of them actually creating the events themselves?
Mass participation events have more down sides than up! I have ridden 2 L/Pool - Chester - L/Pool events and 2 Sky Rides. I will never ride another! The behaviour & roaad-craft of participants was awful, some hurling abuse at well behaved drivers who were endanger by the lawless antics of idiots on bikes!
That is not good for cycling. I say this an an elderly but still active cyclist, usually on 3 wheels.
My family and myself have suffered at the hands of badly behaved cyclists, sadly even from Jerseyed Club groups, being spat at having rubbish thrown at us!
As a club cyclist of 40 years & counting it pains me to say it but it is now much worse.
I used to ride out to a time-trial start, compete, go for lunch then ride home. But as the courses have been driven further & further away, the cyclist go out in the rot box, frighten the locals, but add nothing to the economy of the area!
I no longer own a car, so usually go to events by train with my cycle, but even that act is threatened by folk who cause mayhem when the break the rules on the train & make themselves a pain!
Still, the lazy car/cycle bulldozer gangs will finally wake up to why some folk were driven the stupid act of strewing tacks all over the roads? Stupid I know, but they feel desperate & unheard???
I'm deeply saddened by have environmentally destructive cycling has become! TTFN MM
robgul

Post by robgul »

merseymouth wrote:snip

Mass participation events have more down sides than up! I have ridden 2 L/Pool - Chester - L/Pool events and 2 Sky Rides. I will never ride another! The behaviour & roaad-craft of participants was awful, some hurling abuse at well behaved drivers who were endanger by the lawless antics of idiots on bikes!

"Mass participation events" as you mention them are NOT sportives - which is where the OP was coming from.

I would agree that SkyRides, BHF London to Brighton and their ilk - which are mass participation - are dreadful and for the reasons you state - Sky especially with its anything goes, just "take a leaflet about our TV system" attitude

On the other hand "sportive" riders do tend to be better and more disciplined, sensible riders [for the most part - yes there are the idiots but a very small segment] - if only that they usually have rather more expensive bikes!

This is getting away from the OP

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

merseymouth wrote:I suspect that the "All the gear, no idea" brigade want to have things handed to them on a plate - the thought of them actually creating the events themselves?

Correct. Most people would prefer to have something organised for them than organise it themselves. I have no idea why this is a problem. In the same way, I prefer to buy food than run a smallholding.

merseymouth wrote: The behaviour & roaad-craft of participants was awful, some hurling abuse at well behaved drivers who were endanger by the lawless antics of idiots on bikes!

I agree that not all cyclists behave well. CTC organised events could be a great opportunity to help educate those that don't.

merseymouth wrote:My family and myself have suffered at the hands of badly behaved cyclists, sadly even from Jerseyed Club groups, being spat at having rubbish thrown at us!

That is appalling. I've personally not once experienced abuse from another cyclist, on organised rides or otherwise.

merseymouth wrote:Mass participation events have more down sides than up!

Cheer up and chill out! I've seen them inspire folk who would otherwise never venture on a long ride to do so, and experienced great camaraderie en route. They'll never be a great percentage of my time on a bike, but they can be brilliant. Forcing my failing limbs up Alpe d'Huez inspired by hundreds of likewise suffering folk on the Marmotte is one of my fondest cycling memories.
Si

Post by Si »

I suspect that the "All the gear, no idea" brigade want to have things handed to them on a plate - the thought of them actually creating the events themselves?

I would suggest that labelling people thus, just because they enjoy their cycling in a different way to you, is probably one of the worst things for promoting cycling. Imagine someone who enjoys the odd sportive comes onto the forum because they are interested in broadening their cycling horizons, only to find that they are referred to like this. I think that they would do a swift about turn and go back to sportives where they are assured of a warm and friendly reception.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:I would suggest that labelling people thus, just because they enjoy their cycling in a different way to you, is probably one of the worst things for promoting cycling.

That misdescription of the position is rather unworthy and untypical of Si. I referred to them as that because of their dangerous behaviour on the road, not "just because they enjoy their cycling in a different way". The riding I endured in my limited sportive experience was contrary to the Highway Code, sometimes illegal, and also contrary to BC's sportive rules, but most sportives seem not to be policed by anyone.

Even the organisers don't follow all BC's rules, as the lanes are lined with sportive litter (inner tubes, gel wrappers) and left-behind route signs for months afterwards despite "It is the event organiser’s responsibility to ensure that the route is clear of event signs and litter. Use of the broom wagon to take down signage and pick up litter after the last rider has completed a particular section of the route is one way of completing this task."

Imagine someone who enjoys the odd sportive comes onto the forum because they are interested in broadening their cycling horizons, only to find that they are referred to like this. I think that they would do a swift about turn and go back to sportives where they are assured of a warm and friendly reception.

Warm and friendly, only if you ride the right sort of cycle with the right sort of clothing.

But anyway, to be clear, I don't think that description applies to most people who enjoy the odd sportive, but there are a few people riding sportives in that way when they wouldn't dare ride like that outside the safety of a mass-start event where they're pretty hard to identify - the worst ones always seem to have their numbers wrinkled into a hole in the helmet, or behind a little stem fuel bag, so I suspect they know they're going to ride badly. Other than BC's rules, it's an unpleasant minority that spoil sportives... much like motorists, eh?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

beardy wrote:
this is exactly why the CTC should be cashing in.

But it is a Charity, it is supposed to support cycling not cash in on it.

Or support cyclists, not profit from them.

If Sportives are such a "cash cow", then CTC run ones at slightly lower cost yet still making a respectable profit would in some regards be "supporting cyclists". Same in some respects as the CTC Tours company (whatever it's called) and the CTC Shop (selling for a profit). Personally I don't see the CTC charging for things making a profit to be spent on other cycling causes as a problem.

Ian
Si

Post by Si »

Mjr, I was not quoting or referring to you. Unless you are posting under multiple user names?????
Graham

Post by Graham »

Vorpal wrote:http://www.ctc.org.uk/event/hilly-50-kilometre-0
http://www.ctc.org.uk/event/early-seaso ... nge-ride-0
http://www.ctc.org.uk/event/bedford-80-closed-road

and it still early in the year....

Quite a range indeed !

My eye was drawn particularly to the second in the list :- http://www.ctc.org.uk/event/early-seaso ... nge-ride-0
This popular early season event challenges you to cycle the 50 mile course and to eat what is a generous lunch in either 4 or 5 hours. It is not a race.

That must be one hell of a lunch !! . . . and nothing competitive about it either ( bizarre ) . . .
It must surely make the 50 mile slog to get there worthwhile. :wink:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:Mjr, I was not quoting or referring to you. Unless you are posting under multiple user names?????

You referred to the phrase I used at 8:30am, which merseymouth also used.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Si

Post by Si »

mjr wrote:
Si wrote:Mjr, I was not quoting or referring to you. Unless you are posting under multiple user names?????

You referred to the phrase I used at 8:30am, which merseymouth also used.

Yeah, but I was quoting him, and his use of the phrase was not qualified by explanation, rather it was broadly brushed at sportive riders.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:
mjr wrote:You referred to the phrase I used at 8:30am, which merseymouth also used.

Yeah, but I was quoting him, and his use of the phrase was not qualified by explanation, rather it was broadly brushed at sportive riders.

I agree that it "was not qualified by explanation" but it seems like an untypically naughty assumption to claim he meant the worst by it.