Missing Winged Wheel - Oversight or Oblivion?

gaz

Missing Winged Wheel - Oversight or Oblivion?

Post by gaz »

The June/July issue of cycle arrived yesterday.

The Winged Wheel no longer appears on the front cover nor the reference to being "Founded in 1878".

What was behind that decision? :|
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Re: Missing Winged Wheel - Oversight or Oblivion?

Post by Si »

Seems to be a bit of an image make over....with the photos of notable contributes replaced with drawings....which in certain cases make them look a bit younger (not that I'm suggesting that this was the motive for the change :lol: )
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Lot of content on touring though, which was well recieved here, and, a lot on cycle politics too. Very good mag.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I hope it is an oversight
meic

Post by meic »

My suspicion is that it isnt an oversight but a result of our councilor Peter Brake having moved on, the Winged Wheel was important enough to him to have been mentioned in his "manifesto" when he ran for his election.

He would not have allowed its removal from the magazine (if within his powers), now he is gone.

This is not in any way disapproving of his replacement, just saying what I think has happened with respect to the Winged Wheel.
Yma o Hyd
Si

Post by Si »

Probably worth emailing Dan Joyce if you believe that the removal of the Winged Wheel should be reversed. I'm sure he would respond positively to any requested that demonstrated a reasonable number of the CTC wanted it back.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hi all,
Well spotted all. Just to reassure you that the omission of the Winged Wheel was indeed an oversight rather than a Machiavellian plot.

Good to hear that the latest issues with the new design tweaks has gone down well.

I feel passionately about improving the communication outputs from CTC- Cycle magazine, web and social media etc. Please feel free to send me any feedback.

All the best

Matt Mallinder
CTC Membership Director
gaz

Post by gaz »

Well the August/September 2014 edition sees the return of the Winged Wheel but not to the front cover.

It's now on the contents page. Elevated or Consigned to this new position? I guess that's one for the reader to decide. At least we know it's not an oversight :wink: .
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gaz

It would be foolhardy for anyone to underestimate your attention to detail, memory and tenacity. (Trans: I think they are hoping you will go away - but keep paying your subs. :roll: )
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Is "Winged Wheel" on latest mag?
gaz

Where's Wheelie?

Post by gaz »

I feel that there is an opportunity here to engage the younger reader. The "Winged Wheel", so long an emblem of our proud history and heritage, could be given a name; "Wheelie".

It could be printed in a different part of the magazine each issue as part of a children's feature entitled "Where's Wheelie?" :wink: .
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

lescargo wrote:Is "Winged Wheel" on latest mag?

No. Looks like it's consigned to the inside for the "foreseeable future"- Dan Joyce, editor of the magazine reassures Ted King on the letters page that it will be "in" Cycle for the foreseeable future. Note use of the word "in", not "on."
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Another thing to go this year is the Birthday Tea at the Birthday Rides.
RickH

Post by RickH »

My 2p worth is that it is at least clearly visible on the contents page. Before it was sometimes all but invisible, lost against the background of the cover photo. When the matter was first raised I looked at the previous edition & failed to spot it on the cover at first even though I was specifically looking for it.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gaz

Where's Wheelie?

Post by gaz »

Wheelie's gone missing again.