Wild camping with permission

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
LollyKat

Re: Wild camping with permission

Post by LollyKat »

It's not just the smell (I would get used to that) but the sticky, sweaty feeling on skin and hair. I could survive for a day or so but used to alternate with hostels just so that I could get a decent wash.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Lollykat, I know exactly what you mean, and it's why I like to wear longjohns and a t shirt in the sleeping bag because you don't feel the tackiness of skin on skin. I only wash my hair once or twice a week anyway so I'm not so bothered by that. As you said, you can alternate between hostels and wildcamping if you're in need of a shower. Or if you make it to a cafe have a wash in the bathroom sink. Honestly, washing hands and face with a bit of hot water and soap can make you feel almost human again. :D
beardy

Post by beardy »

You can normally pay for having just a shower in Leisure centres.
Around £1.50.
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

Farawayvisions wrote:I also give my face a wee wash

That's taking the wild camping thing a bit far! :lol:
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

patpalloon wrote:
Farawayvisions wrote:I also give my face a wee wash

That's taking the wild camping thing a bit far! :lol:

I hope I never meet you!
b1galus

Post by b1galus »

have to say i'm with Faraway visions on this up to a point . it is amazing how well one can wash with a face cloth and until fairly recently we peasants didn't wash all that often as it drew all the oils from the skin
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Farawayvisions wrote:
mercalia wrote:take an aerosol perfume with you?

OMG! NO! The midges will eat you alive. :cry:

it dont have to be a good one - get one from a 99p store?
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

LollyKat wrote:What do you wild campers do about washing? When I was young I did the occasional wild camp but hated not being able to have a shower at the end of a strenuous day's cycling. There wasn't often a convenient loch for skinny dipping.

Take a 1 or 2 litre coke bottle, take of the cap and with a pen knife drill 3 holes in it. Voila.. Instant shower. I can wash effectively with 500ml of water and 1 or 2 litres is luxury. Always start at the top on your head. Get wet, soap, swill. Done.

This is my shower cap I'm using at the moment in Africa, fits all bottles by the coca cola company from 500ml to 2 litre.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

In the sailing world, there is an old saying which always makes me smile. Fresh water was often (and still can be) very heavily rationed and you would be given a cup of water with the following instructions.

Start at the top and wash down as far as possible
Then wash 'Possible'
If you have some water left wash the rest of you.
Giles Pargiter

Post by Giles Pargiter »

I must say I don't usually find washing a great problem. I use a fairly good quality carrier bag inside a lightweight nylon draw string bag as a water bucket. The draw string can be closed round a cut of soft drinks bottle to enable carrying a gallon or two of water a mile or two before stopping. The water sourced from a stream or some such - perfectly fine for washing. Indeed in upland areas (always go uphill to find a spring) I sometimes use this for cooking or even drinking once boiled. Liver fluke being the main hazard and easily cured by bringing the water to boiling point.

You can roll the top of the bag over and settle it in a hollow or between stones or sticks to make a basin, heat some of it on my primus to warm it if I wish. I can then easily shave and wash. Even have a shower by using a cup to tip it over me. Essential to use only soap, shampoo or washing up liquid that is completely biodegradable - so absolutely no perfumed soap or deoderants etc. Always away from water courses. Can be more awkward if the weather is hostile, but as others have said you can easily survive for a day or two.