The Camping and Caravanning Club

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
davetb

Re: The Camping and Caravanning Club

Post by davetb »

Afraid I can agree about the lack of facilities for backpackers and cyclists. Some where to sit and cook under cover seem very sensible. We have only used the C&CC with our very small caravan (for cycling, walking or canoeing from) and have always been surprised that backpackers are put a long way from the loo's where as caravans/motorhomes with loos on board are closer, seems strange!
The magazine only caters for people who just "camp" rather than use the sites for a journey.
The club seems to have gone away from their original remit, and moved "up market" as you can see from the reviews of caravans and cars in the magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the same story with YHA. The "travellers of limited" means now mean a car of some kind? Often one of those giant types with bike racks on the back. The only cheap YHA for camping in Surrey now Tanners Hatch as of this post £6 I think with YHA membership. The reason why is that it is so hard to get to - 1 mile on either track, no cars to it lol. A nice camp site by the way but requires a herculean effort to get to esp with trailer lol
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Ah I understand now, I sit, cook in my tent and take the bike in with me, which explains why I have not experienced what you have said which is true.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

There are some very good points here, especially about the lack of facilities for backpackers when that is from where their heritage originated. I have stayed at many good sites in Scotland where a majority of clientele are outdoor pursuits based and they appreciate and enjoy campers' kitchens and picnic tables.

I am about to set off on another cycle-camping trip in a week's time and will be staying at ten different C&CC sites - so I might add my thoughts on the service and my experience.
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

I have got very fond of C&CC sites as they seem to be friendly and well maintained
Prices are reasonable

I agree that they do now seem to be largely catering for caravans

I understand from talking to some of the workers on one site that
in their rule book the founder of the club states that they cannot turn away any 'unmotorised' traveller
They have to find you a pitch even if they are full and you are not a member.

This in the case of one of my favourites (see pic)- St Neots probably includes canoeists?
I believe it sometimes floods
I believe it sometimes floods
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

I don't pre-book C&CC sites: if about to be flooded, as per the image above, you will be told not to come. Arriving at the end of a long cycling day, as happened to me at St Neots, I pleaded tiredness and was offered the small grassy space beneath the wash lines (behind the ablution block, on raised ground), as the managers are advised not to turn backpackers away. As a cycle-camper, I rely on the site to provide a shower and toilet, plus water source: anything else is a bonus.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

C&CC's own sites are increasingly good value for a night on a tour, at £6.50 - £7.50ish. It's great to experience independent sites - you do find absolute gems - but occasionally on a longer tour you need to know that the loos will be clean, the showers will work, and there will be somewhere to wash up and do a little bit of washing - and that option could be a C&CC site. A couple of years ago I was cycling in the poor weather that summer in Yorkshire and arrived at Boroughbridge after fleeing the previous dire pub campsite at 5:30am. The site manager took me round the site to find the right spot for me, just like he would with anyone else. I felt welcome and safe, unlike the night before! I considered joining recently as I wanted to go to one site by car, but it still would have been too costly. A shame in a way that there isn't a cyclist's-only membership, I'd quite like to contribute.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Slowroad wrote:A shame in a way that there isn't a cyclist's-only membership, I'd quite like to contribute.

Agreed. Even just an individual membership at half price rather than the current "family membership only" would suit me.
As it is, the saving doesn't stack up against the membership cost, so I just pay the extra £1.50 to £2 a night.
LondonBikeCommuter

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

andrew_s wrote:
Slowroad wrote:A shame in a way that there isn't a cyclist's-only membership, I'd quite like to contribute.

the saving doesn't stack up against the membership cost, so I just pay the extra £1.50 to £2 a night.

Agreed, I knew I wouldn't be using my membership for at least 4/5 months so stopped it with the intention of re-joining but doing the maths a membership smiply isn't worth the cost. I've mentioned this to pretty much to every site I've been to and on the phone to the booking dept. to but its pretty much fallen on deaf ears every time.
LondonBikeCommuter

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

phil parker wrote:There are some very good points here, especially about the lack of facilities for backpackers when that is from where their heritage originated. I have stayed at many good sites in Scotland where a majority of clientele are outdoor pursuits based and they appreciate and enjoy campers' kitchens and picnic tables.

I am about to set off on another cycle-camping trip in a week's time and will be staying at ten different C&CC sites - so I might add my thoughts on the service and my experience.

I for one would be interested in your experiences as most of my experience is in southern England.

Forgot to add one of my pet hates about the C&CC is the laundry. They used to be really good value but now for some reason they're charging laundrette+ prices. The really annoying thing is there is a £2.50 minimum charge for the dryers in most places I've been. Fine if your a family but if you only have a few item like I do then it feels like your being ripped off.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

LondonBikeCommuter wrote:
phil parker wrote:There are some very good points here, especially about the lack of facilities for backpackers when that is from where their heritage originated. I have stayed at many good sites in Scotland where a majority of clientele are outdoor pursuits based and they appreciate and enjoy campers' kitchens and picnic tables.

I for one would be interested in your experiences as most of my experience is in southern England.

Forgot to add one of my pet hates about the C&CC is the laundry. They used to be really good value but now for some reason they're charging laundrette+ prices. The really annoying thing is there is a £2.50 minimum charge for the dryers in most places I've been. Fine if your a family but if you only have a few item like I do then it feels like your being ripped off.

I agree on laundry, really expensive.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

So do I!

A real bug bear as traveling light I prefer to do a laundry every 2 days and when you're paying £7 - £8 on top of site fees and occasional pub meals - it gets expensive!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Surely a lot of these gripes aren't necessarily down to the C&CC but the campsite owners/managers? Whilst they need to comply with some minimum standards set by the C&CC and abide by certain rules to keep their affiliation, isn't it then up to them what prices are charged for various services and extra facilities?
One issue I worried about was bike security. My lock uses a brake disc lock to join the two ends of the chain, so my idea is to use the lock bit anchored to the seat stay and the other end of the chain attached to me with a bit of string while I sleep. A rape alarm will also be attached between the bike and a tent pole so if it goes walkabout, I'll know about it.
I'm planning on draping my washing (which will be done when I shower) over the bike which if necessary, will be under the spare tarp.
Hoping this all works as well in reality as it does in theory :?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Vantage wrote:Surely a lot of these gripes aren't necessarily down to the C&CC but the campsite owners/managers? Whilst they need to comply with some minimum standards set by the C&CC and abide by certain rules to keep their affiliation, isn't it then up to them what prices are charged for various services and extra facilities?
One issue I worried about was bike security. My lock uses a brake disc lock to join the two ends of the chain, so my idea is to use the lock bit anchored to the seat stay and the other end of the chain attached to me with a bit of string while I sleep. A rape alarm will also be attached between the bike and a tent pole so if it goes walkabout, I'll know about it.
I'm planning on draping my washing (which will be done when I shower) over the bike which if necessary, will be under the spare tarp.
Hoping this all works as well in reality as it does in theory :?

On some sites where they are franchised, but most are owned and run by the C&CC on their club sites.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Aaaaah I see. Thanks for that :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.