Cookset recommendations

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slow Loris

Re: Cookset recommendations

Post by Slow Loris »

bretonbikes - I'm new to the Trangia and bit cack-handed with the simmer ring so any advice welcome. Whenever I try and adjust it, the flame goes out :? . Tried in vain to slow cook a barley soup mix one evening and ended up with a very crunchy dinner! I also took short matches as they packed more easily but I wasted most of them trying to light the meths. What do you use?
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
b1galus

Post by b1galus »

for the trangia i use a flint and my Mora knife blade to light it , works really well and so far have reduced the number of burnt fingers and dropped matches
hamster

Post by hamster »

bretonbikes wrote:I meant the gas burner - I don't have a problem with the meths burner, but the use of the 'simmer ring' is a black art to avoid burning. Last year I did a Cous-cous for 14 on 5 trangias - chops, Merguez, veg and cous-cous - I was like someone spinning plates;-)

That must have been good to watch - my only problem with meths is that the heat is too low for boiling water quickly and the two settings. The Coleman 440 is really controllable for simmering and can belt out heat when required - but is far heavier and bulkier. There is no perfect stove!
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

Stainless steel is my recommendation. I bought a set many years ago and they have survived everything. They still come up almost like new (even after peat fire cooking) when cleaned with sand. My old aluminium set looked as if they had been through a world war after ten years. The steel has hardly a dent.
hufty

Post by hufty »

For lighting stoves try something like this - turns a normal disposable into a jet lighter, can be taken apart for air travel.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Stainless steel and Titanium are poor conductors, leading to hot spots on the bottom of the pan, and burning of food.
You should have seen the state of my mates titanium pot after he made porridge in it :lol: , It took him ages of soaking and scrubbing to get it off.
So, if you want to boil water, SS or T are fine, but if you want to cook a meal, I would go for AL.

Neil
Last edited by Neilo on 3 Jul 2014, 6:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Sweep wrote:
hamster wrote:Nice, but the prices of Titanium cookware... :shock:

There was an excellent pointed comment a while ago from someone on titanium cookware.

Made me laugh.

Can't remember who it was - whoever it was, take a bow.

Might have been me - titanium is a rather poor conductor of heat, & very expensive, so just about the worst choice for cookwear (once we've ruled out cardboard or chocolate teapots). Lightweight and resistant to chemicals though.

Aluminium is an excellent conductor of heat, lightweight, adequately strong and cheap.

Copper is a fantastic conductor of heat, but brutally expensive and far too heavy for carrying round. Great for use at home though
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

b1galus wrote:for the trangia i use a flint and my Mora knife blade to light it , works really well and so far have reduced the number of burnt fingers and dropped matches

+1 exactly on this. I'm a Trangia and Mora man myself too.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Thanks to all for the stove lighting suggestions - hoping to give some a try soon :)
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Profpointy, take a bow :)

Very probably was you though i think your original post was maybe more, er, pointed.

Great forum tho i still think a "like post" thingi would improve it.

All the best, sweep
Sweep
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Slow Loris wrote:Thanks to all for the stove lighting suggestions - hoping to give some a try soon :)

Trangia + fire steel + Leatherman Wave = Works every time :)
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

RobMac wrote:Trangia + fire steel + Leatherman Wave = Works every time :)

Thanks :) . Never tried a firesteel so I've just looked it up. Looks like it takes a bit of practice and I've read one suggestion (not here) to use a mix of pure cotton wool and vaseline as tinder - have you tried this?
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

There's also the option of using a wick to light a Trangia or similar. Not tried it myself (I'd switched almost entirely to gas when I first heard it suggested) but should be pretty simple.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pjclinch wrote:There's also the option of using a wick to light a Trangia or similar.

Pete.

Not being too technical could you briefly explain?

What would you use for a wick?
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Bit of string... (Experiment to confirm). Meths wicks up the string, which is much easier to light than a pool of meths.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...