Cookset recommendations

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
cjs

Re: Cookset recommendations

Post by cjs »

Trangia stoves & Firesteel (ferrocerium alloys) works great when temperatures are moderate, however when its colder, matches dropped in may be needed to get it lit! (pure alcohol content can also vary dependent on country / manufacturer)

An ideal combination on longer journeys for me is a firesteel and a few waterproof matches....
Kind Regards
Chris...
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

cjs wrote:however when its colder, matches dropped in may be needed to get it lit!

When it's properly cold (<-20°C), a burning match dropped into meths will just go out. That's when a wick is required. It's a Scandanavian winter camping trick.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Slow Loris wrote:Depends what sort of cooking you're doing and how light you want to go.

I have an MSR Pocket Rocket with titanium pot and also a Trangia 27 with kettle. The MSR is very light and compact, but I much prefer the Trangia – it's windproof, bombproof and I can cook proper food on it. Much more versatile for longer trips - and I find the kettle worth the extra money.

I've recently taken a punt on this as it's on special offer – yet to try it out. Anyone here used it?
http://www.trekmates.co.uk/index.php?ro ... uct_id=148

I would also love to have this – but can't justify it, even though my Trangia stove fits inside:
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RD103.html

Thanks for this comment, I saw the rocket system in the Cotswold shop today and couldn't figure out how you'd actually cook on it as opposed to just heat, thought it was just me being dim.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

It's useful if you want hot water quickly – or burnt porridge :? . Otherwise, the Trangia wins :D .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used