What is a good, mid-range camping stove nowadays?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
yakdiver

Re: What is a good, mid-range camping stove nowadays?

Post by yakdiver »

Coleman Feather 442 been using one since 1980s still going strong
http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Gear- ... ther-442-/
crazyferret

Post by crazyferret »

I recently got the new alpkit one. Its super tiny and light and i have managed to cook proper meals on it. Best part is its only £25 and it being titanium its a bit like a spaceship.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/kraku

In all seriousness I can't recommend this enough, its fast relatively efficient and fits in my smallish pot with my gas, lighter and small spork. Whilst I've not used it on enough extended trips yet so far it seems to be brilliant.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Whenever cycle touring camping stoves are discussed I have a knee jerk reaction to recommend the ultra simple, ultra reliable, petrol only Optimus Svea. You can't burn helicopter diesel in it, but where there's tarmac there's petrol. There's a weight penalty of a couple of ounces over other stoves that take petrol, reduced if you ditch the lid/pan, and it's a bit slower. But there's no faffing around with pressurising pumps as it's self-pressurising, and no filters to clog up. If you're on a weekend trip you might get away without a separate fuel bottle.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

When you say "Helicopter Diesel" do you mean "jet fuel, which is also known as Jet A, AVTUR or paraffin? or do you mean Aviation gasoline or petrol?
There is a big difference because the Svea will not run on paraffin. The burner design does not allow the paraffin to get hot enough to vapourise, and you get an orange sooty fireball. White gas, coleman fuel, aspen 4T or panel wipe are the correct fuel to use. Automotive petrol can be used, but because of the additives in it, the burner will get clogged after a while (Same with the coleman 442 stove)
It is self pressurising, but in cold weather it has difficulty. A small pump and special filler cap/pump adapter can be used.
A good stove if you get a bigger pan than the one that it comes with, to go with it.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

The OP said "It doesn't need to be expedition quality as it's only going to be used for UK trips (for now - possibly Europe at some point)".

For this type of usage, I really don't see the need for petrol / paraffin / wood / meths stoves. Just get a decent gas stove: no messing around, no pressurising, no fuel leaking out of the bottle, a good range of cooking temperatures, replacement gas cartridges widely available.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yakdiver wrote:Coleman Feather 442 been using one since 1980s still going strong

what fuel do u use? petrol? ever had to replace the jet ? would be interesting to hear from some one who only uses petrol whether the jet blocking is real or not or just that the petrol hadnt been filtered first using that little red filter u get?
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

mercalia wrote:
yakdiver wrote:Coleman Feather 442 been using one since 1980s still going strong

what fuel do u use? petrol? ever had to replace the jet ? would be interesting to hear from some one who only uses petrol whether the jet blocking is real or not or just that the petrol hadnt been filtered first using that little red filter u get?

I've had a 442 for about 20 years. I've had to change the generator,about 4 times. It's a tube with the jet attached, with a jet cleaning needle inside.
The jet doesn't get clogged, the whole generator tube gets clogged with carbon. The generator runs through the flame heating the fuel to vapourise it before it goes into the burner. Automotive petrol contains additives, the burner does not burn hot enough for them to be vapourised properly, they carbonise on the inside of the generator tube, eventually blocking it.
They are a very good stove, There is a model called the Sportster, same burner, bigger tank, no fold out feet.

Neil
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

jamesgilbert wrote:The OP said "It doesn't need to be expedition quality as it's only going to be used for UK trips (for now - possibly Europe at some point)".

For this type of usage, I really don't see the need for petrol / paraffin / wood / meths stoves. Just get a decent gas stove: no messing around, no pressurising, no fuel leaking out of the bottle, a good range of cooking temperatures, replacement gas cartridges widely available.

+1
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hufty

Post by hufty »

Neilo wrote:When you say "Helicopter Diesel" do you mean "jet fuel, which is also known as Jet A, AVTUR or paraffin? or do you mean Aviation gasoline or petrol?...

It was my sideways attempt at hinting that although people are often proud of their chosen stove's ability to work with a multitude of exotic and fantastical fuels*, I think this is of limited real life benefit for the cycle tourist when petrol will be readily available wherever you are likely to be cycling.

That clogging up thing that is meant to happen if you use unleaded? Never been a problem with a Svea in my experience, and I only ever use unleaded.

Cold weather pre-pressurising, same as warm weather, a piece of cake. Heat the bottom for just a couple of seconds with a jet flame type lighter. You're not trying to get it to operating pressure, just warmed enough to get a dribble of fuel to come out the top and into the depression when you open the valve. Alternatively you can prime it the text book way with a separate bottle of priming paste or some similar faff.

Those who suggest that for the UK or Europe gas canisters will be fine are probably correct, but equally there could be places where you struggle a bit.

*although a quick google search shows that diesel helicopters do exist
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Buy the cheapest Coleman gas stove and combine it with the guts of that 30 year old Trangia you have with the blocked burner and the corroded pans and all will be well ..... OK mine is ...

Helicopter Diesel ... F34 Avtur or F40 Avcat ... or as we posh people in Yorkshire call it..... Paraffin ... !!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
VanDeRooster

Post by VanDeRooster »

Not sure what it's like these days but I always used to struggle to get threaded Coleman / Primus / MSR etc. cartridges in France. There were plenty of CampinGaz but they don't fit.
Taller than you think ...
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

andrew_s wrote: an adapter will allow the use of the commoner blue camping gas CV canisters.

There's another bulkier adapter for the puncture canisters, but those are getting less common now that the stoves for them aren't being sold any more
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Now kitted up with my Camping Gaz Twister, you can now get one with piezo electric ignition for £18. The smallest gaz cartridge fits neatly in these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/1-person-hik ... 46405.html. And, the burner has its own plastic case. Got a nice little aluminium windshield for £4 in Go Outdoors. As a previous poster pointed out, if you are just touring the UK and civilised Europe, one of these is the most convenient options, and the gaz cartridges can be purchased anywhere. Gelert also do a universal cylinder stand to stabilise the stove. I have an old Camping gaz stabiliser.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

VanDeRooster wrote:Not sure what it's like these days but I always used to struggle to get threaded Coleman / Primus / MSR etc. cartridges in France. There were plenty of CampinGaz but they don't fit.

These days the threaded cartridges are widely available. On a tour round Europe last summer I got through 3 threaded cartridges, bought in Paris, Karlsruhe and Vienna.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

hufty wrote:It was my sideways attempt at hinting that although people are often proud of their chosen stove's ability to work with a multitude of exotic and fantastical fuels*, I think this is of limited real life benefit for the cycle tourist when petrol will be readily available wherever you are likely to be cycling.

That clogging up thing that is meant to happen if you use unleaded? Never been a problem with a Svea in my experience, and I only ever use unleaded.

Cold weather pre-pressurising, same as warm weather, a piece of cake. Heat the bottom for just a couple of seconds with a jet flame type lighter. You're not trying to get it to operating pressure, just warmed enough to get a dribble of fuel to come out the top and into the depression when you open the valve. Alternatively you can prime it the text book way with a separate bottle of priming paste or some similar faff.

Those who suggest that for the UK or Europe gas canisters will be fine are probably correct, but equally there could be places where you struggle a bit.

*although a quick google search shows that diesel helicopters do exist

I've not had clogging on my Svea, but heard from people that have.
Iv'e had cold weather pressurising problems, more so on The Optimus 8R than the Svea, but still struggle with the Svea from time to time
I prefer the multifuel option of some stoves, just gives me more options if I can't find my preferred fuel.
But this is the same as what tent/ sleeping bag / bike do I buy. You'll never get a difinitive answer.
I didn't know there were diesel powered helicopters.
Ahh, Sideways, I don't do criptic :)

Neil