Campsite review thread

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
beachcomber

Re: Campsite review thread

Post by beachcomber »

FRANCE
BOULOGNE.

Les Sapins. Camping Municipal. 62360 La Capelle-les Boulogne. Tel 03 21 83 16 61

Well kept quiet small site out of town. New toilets and shower to good standard. Cost 8 euro per adult.
Good supermarket and other shops a mile or two down the road.
mj1

Post by mj1 »

A favourite of mine, if you're ever touring the Isle of Wight is Heathfield Farm Campsite in Freshwater.

They have a very nice grassy area which is fenced off with low-level fencing and it's own picnic bench and is solely for the use of cycling campers/walkers/ramblers. A really lovely site and usually very low site fees compared to other sites I've visited. Wardens, although they change every year are very helpful and friendly.

http://www.heathfieldcamping.co.uk/

Maggie.
johnonhisbike

Post by johnonhisbike »

Two very different campsites in Lancashire
WYRESIDE LAKES (Forton) and GIBRALTAR FARM (Silverdale)

WYRESIDE LAKES
Fees: approx £15 for two of us in small tent
Facilities: Large site, plenty of room for tents but essentially a 'caravan' park committed to fishing. Decent (inclusive) showers, Restaurant/bar. (About a mile to a nearby pub (good food but expensive and not very good beer)
Comments: Sounds fine ... that's why we booked in as part of a short cycle/camping weekend around Lancaster(Oct 2011). Reality is that we experienced unsupervised, unruly kids, running around the bar and the site in general, and parents happy to let them do so, knowing that they would be supported by an indifferent and rather rude proprietor who seems more concerned with preserving his long-term caravan buddies and drinking partners, than the general well being of short term guests. When one of the kids threw a pole at our tent, his response to our complaint and (identification of the kids involved) was 'well this is a family site ... and your best bet is to move your tent. Ours was the ONLY tent in the camping field! ... so we were unsure what he meant by this until he clarified ... find another site ... I could say more but ... well you get the picture of this guy and the site in general ...
So all I can say is GIVE THIS PLACE A MISS !!!

GIBRALTAR FARM
Fees: approx £12 for two of us in small tent (reduction for cyclists)
Facilities: Large site, plenty of room for tents but also caravans. Clean (inclusive) showers, no Restaurant/bar but a cracking pub , good beer and reasonably priced food about 1/2mile away in village
Comments: Very friendly proprietors told us there was a reduction for cyclists. The site is well maintained with good clean facilities, but its best feature is its spectacular setting with wonderful views across Morecambe Bay.
This is a site you'll love and will definitely want to come bacK to.
johnonhisbike

Post by johnonhisbike »

Also agree that this could be organised into a more systematic resource ...
Si

Post by Si »

johnonhisbike wrote:Also agree that this could be organised into a more systematic resource ...

Please - only reviews in this thread. If you want to discuss how this thread is organised then please feel free to start a new thread, but if that discussion happens in this thread it will make it difficult to use for its intended purpose, with no doubt more discussion than reviews being posted. We welcome any suggestions for making the thread more user-friendly, and any offers of help in so doing.
Si

Post by Si »

We now have several threads for camp site reviews, broken down into broad locations to help you search, please add new campsite reviews to these. If/when I get time I will split the reviews out of this thread and put them in the appropriate new thread.