Pictures of your bike in a tent

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Gattonero

Re: Pictures of your bike in a tent

Post by Gattonero »

stephenjubb wrote:http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/laser-space-2-tent-end-of-line/

I've had my bike in these, weight 3.3 kilo £295 end of line. About the only one I found where it was easy.

Wow, 3.3kg!
Better to carry a 6x8 tarp and a bivvy bag 8)
1/3 of the price and weight
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

I've been wondering if a bike (with wheels on) would fit inside the porch of one of these http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF126.html . The tents seem to have a good reputation and the price and weight are good.
PH

Post by PH »

Gattonero wrote:
stephenjubb wrote:http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/laser-space-2-tent-end-of-line/

I've had my bike in these, weight 3.3 kilo £295 end of line. About the only one I found where it was easy.

Wow, 3.3kg!
Better to carry a 6x8 tarp and a bivvy bag 8)
1/3 of the price and weight

I've never felt the need to put my bike inside a tent, though each to their own. Neither would I consider carrying a 3kg tent just for my own use. I did share a campsite with a family, (two adults, toddler and slightly older child) using a Laser Space and it looked an ideal bit of kit for the job and the size to weight was better than most.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Graham O wrote:I've been wondering if a bike (with wheels on) would fit inside the porch of one of these http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF126.html . The tents seem to have a good reputation and the price and weight are good.

You should be able to fit any bike up to a large size, by simply laying it on the ground before the "nest".

Those pyramid tents/tarps are quite nice and seem good value for money. The problem is that they need a dedicated, stiff pole to be put up. Walkers have their walking sticks which are very light and rigid, but the poor cyclist needs a separate pole. All in all, the weight is still good for the amount of space offered, I can see one being able to fix a puncture inside that tent 8)
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Gattonero wrote:
Graham O wrote:I've been wondering if a bike (with wheels on) would fit inside the porch of one of these http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF126.html . The tents seem to have a good reputation and the price and weight are good.

You should be able to fit any bike up to a large size, by simply laying it on the ground before the "nest".

Those pyramid tents/tarps are quite nice and seem good value for money. The problem is that they need a dedicated, stiff pole to be put up. Walkers have their walking sticks which are very light and rigid, but the poor cyclist needs a separate pole. All in all, the weight is still good for the amount of space offered, I can see one being able to fix a puncture inside that tent 8)

I've subsequently been outside and measured the bike and it should fit inside the Mini Peak tent. While they do need a stiff pole, I don't see this as a problem. All tents need poles, so a single stiff pole or a number of fibreglass/aluminium ones are just variations on a theme. I have a good, but old (bought 1978) backpacking tent but for cycle touring, I'm looking for a new one with a bit more space.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

A pyramid tent relies all the weight/tension on the pole, it this does flex the tent will collapse. This is the opposite of modern tents, where the poles are arranged in a way to rely on the tension of the fabric, and they are actually meant to flex.
All the classic designs like pyramid or A-frame must be on a rigid structure, the stiffer the better; imagine what would happen if you could push down the center of the pyramid, it would be all over the place.
Yet, a 200gr rigid pole may not be the end of the world for most
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

As well as the (square = easy to pitch) mini peak, consider also the sil hexpeak v4.. Bit bigger maybe? 1750g or so, with optional pole. I have the earlier but veeeery similar Go-lite Shangri-la 3 (search the forum, lots written). Plenty of room for bike, even when pitched low for a stormy night in the alps. Picture makes it look more squashed than it is. You could fit a labrador into the vestibule too.
IMG_0373.jpeg
Last edited by nmnm on 7 Feb 2016, 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Thanks nmmm, that photo says a lot. However, I like the simplicity of the square footprint and just 4 pegs around the perimeter. It's not going to be used in wild weather or at altitude, so will do all I want. However I don't have a labrador. Are they an essential camping accessory? :)
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

The lab is the pitching advisor. Always full of encouragement! The hex does let you get past the bike easier than an oblong as the zip can be at the side of the vestibule rather than in the middle (seeing as you can place the inner in 3 different places in the floorspace without blocking the door). It's a two-way zip too. It's not such a big thing though, and with some diy, you could add a rear door to the minipeak inner to match the fly. That'd be brilliant! If it were me, the easy pitching and 25% lower price would have me giving the Minipeak a go, for sure.
tent.jpg
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Talking to real equipment users is a great part of my job designing outdoor equipment and it sometimes amazes me the innovative ways in which people use gear. The idea of being able to position a single nest in 3 ways around the central pole is brilliant and would reduce the influence of the central pole in getting in/out of the tent. The Minipeak does have a zip on front and back, but unfortunately it's not a true square footprint, so the nest has to go side to side. The Hexpeak V4 or V6 will allow the nest to go anywhere,so it would be easy to put a bike in there.

I think I've made my purchasing decision :)
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Actually, now I think about it, the inner of the hexpeak v4 has a lefthand door. My mesh inner in pic was a righthand (and I now have a t-zip double door inner). If you look at the pic above but imagine the inner door on the left, there's only really one best position for the inner, I think, maybe. The new hexpeak is lower than the shangri-la, I think (my pole is 148-178cm, just checked now), with a bit of googling, but I think the floorspace is the same.

Anyway, yes, all terrific options for sure. I suppose you could buy them both and return one. Take comparison pics with bikes in there and make a blog page of it!
whoof

Post by whoof »

This camping set up will be less than 2kg and you can fit your bike in.

http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesGear/20 ... ropped.jpg
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

How much do the trees weigh?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've had a Hennessey for about a decade. It's very comfortable although best in warm weather. Campsites in the UK lack trees so I've used it mainly for wild camping.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Graham O wrote:How much do the trees weigh?

Surprisingly little. You just need to carry a couple of acorns and wait 75 years.