Camping Cookware - Which Materials??

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
JackRabbitSlims

Re: Camping Cookware - Which Materials??

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

andrew_s wrote:
JackRabbitSlims wrote:The Trangia with Gas Burner addition is looking to be the likely choice. Many comments (not just on here) give it solid reviews and a worthy reputation :D
I'm traveling from NZ to Europe (probably Amsterdam) to begin a Cycle Touring Trip
It will be worth getting the adapter to use CampinGaz unthreaded click-on canisters on your stove. They are much more common than threaded in several countries, including Benelux and France.

Thank you!

Thats really good to know.

Cheers.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

JackRabbitSlims wrote:I'm also a coffee guy and have now moved on to the aero press and Porlex grinder which right now seems like overkill, more weight and bulk......I had assumed that instant coffee, and hot water would suffice, but perhaps i could include a luxury or two.

Various threads about coffee if you have a hunt.

I've personally given up on instant coffee, though I quite like the instant cappuccinos you can get (a bit like white chocolate isn't really chocolate, but is okay on its own terms). It's easy enough to buy ground coffee almost anywhere which saves you carrying a grinder. The Aeropress works well and is light, but is quite bulky. An Ortlieb filter-cone holder packs down pretty much flat.

If you like milk in coffee, that's a whole other can of worms (I started drinking black coffee because it was much easier for camping in summer).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Stainless steel for me on my Trangia. Miles easier to clean than the original Al ones, this applies particularly to the frying pan.

A major factor for me to ditch the Al pans was the research on possible links between Alzheimer's and aluminium. It seems this link my be controversial, but none of our pans at home or camping are Al.

Regarding cooking in the tent, often due to bad weather the only place to cook is in the tent. But only in the porch where the stove can rest on the ground/rock/snow or whatever you are pitched on. Crack open the porch as much as can be for ventilation as well as to reduce condensation.
JackRabbitSlims

pjclinch wrote:
JackRabbitSlims wrote:I'm also a coffee guy and have now moved on to the aero press and Porlex grinder which right now seems like overkill, more weight and bulk......I had assumed that instant coffee, and hot water would suffice, but perhaps i could include a luxury or two.

Various threads about coffee if you have a hunt.

I've personally given up on instant coffee, though I quite like the instant cappuccinos you can get (a bit like white chocolate isn't really chocolate, but is okay on its own terms). It's easy enough to buy ground coffee almost anywhere which saves you carrying a grinder. The Aeropress works well and is light, but is quite bulky. An Ortlieb filter-cone holder packs down pretty much flat.

If you like milk in coffee, that's a whole other can of worms (I started drinking black coffee because it was much easier for camping in summer).

Pete.

Yes, I've found a couple of good threads on coffee.

I'm a black coffee drinker, so no milk issues there.

I'll check out the Ortlieb you mention - thanks!

Do you carry a water treatment / filter system of any kind when Bike Touring??
hamster

Post by hamster »

JackRabbitSlims wrote:Do you carry a water treatment / filter system of any kind when Bike Touring??

Not in Europe as taps are easy to come by.For the US, definitely (if using natural water sources) as Giardia is endemic.
I have heard of people getting Giardia in Scotland, however I would probably take purifying tablets simply to save weight and bulk and as the risk appears to be low.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

JackRabbitSlims wrote:
Do you carry a water treatment / filter system of any kind when Bike Touring??

Not anywhere I've been. Wild camps in Scotland it's not really an issue and in the lowlands, especially on formal campsites, taps are easy to come by (only toured in the UK and NL, and the tap water is reliably drinkable in each). If you've got a stove you do have a water treatment system for microbial-nasties, at least (boiling).

Pete.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Des49 wrote:Stainless steel for me on my Trangia. Miles easier to clean than the original Al ones, this applies particularly to the frying pan.

A major factor for me to ditch the Al pans was the research on possible links between Alzheimer's and aluminium. It seems this link my be controversial, but none of our pans at home or camping are Al.

Regarding cooking in the tent, often due to bad weather the only place to cook is in the tent. But only in the porch where the stove can rest on the ground/rock/snow or whatever you are pitched on. Crack open the porch as much as can be for ventilation as well as to reduce condensation.

The snag with the Stainless is that they don't transmit heat so well so you end up burning things to the bottom all the time (well I do;-) - as for the Alzhiemer's - I eagerly await the next bit of research to show that it actually helps... The French nation used almost exclusively aluminium pans for the whole of the 20th century - if there really was a link I think we'd see France coming out far worse than most countries. In the same way we've studies that show Zinc has a causal link, but the studies don't agree on whether it's good or bad;-)
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ah, zinc.

I have certain italian connections.

As i think does at least one nice person on here.

Bloody hypochondriacs in my experience.

And one of them, for whatever reasons, appears convinced that one of their (very probably imagined) issues is due to zinc DEFICIENCY.

So pedal on, it's all unlikely to kill you -you are all probably way healthier than the average brit.
Sweep
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

A hard anodized UL Trangia for me. In fact we have both a 25 for the two of us and a 27 when I go alone. The hard anodized is a lot easier to clean than ordinary aluminium. On my own I always use meths, but when my wife comes along we often also take the multifuel burner in the T25. The advantage of the gas burner is that gas is lighter to carry, but the disadvantage is that it is a lot harder to get than meths.
We use cheap and light plastic IKEA plates, and when solo I use gsi lexan cutlery. For solo coffee I use an Ortlieb filter (with ground coffee) that fits exactly into a large plastic mug. Coffe for two is made with the filter supported over a pot by two tent pegs. Don't take too much stuff that you do not need. Less is more.
JackRabbitSlims

willem jongman wrote:A hard anodized UL Trangia for me. In fact we have both a 25 for the two of us and a 27 when I go alone. The hard anodized is a lot easier to clean than ordinary aluminium. On my own I always use meths, but when my wife comes along we often also take the multifuel burner in the T25. The advantage of the gas burner is that gas is lighter to carry, but the disadvantage is that it is a lot harder to get than meths.
We use cheap and light plastic IKEA plates, and when solo I use gsi lexan cutlery. For solo coffee I use an Ortlieb filter (with ground coffee) that fits exactly into a large plastic mug. Coffe for two is made with the filter supported over a pot by two tent pegs. Don't take too much stuff that you do not need. Less is more.

Thanks willem.

I've ordered the Trangia 27 UL (not the full anodised version, just the bowls and pan are anodised)....plus a kettle and a fuel bottle :D

I'm going to skip the plates and eat from the bowls / pan. Spork and Swiss army to eat with. Back of the pan or bowl to chop on - will see how that goes.

Coffee will be aeropress.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

You could try Orikaso for plate/chopping board
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orikaso-Solo-Se ... B000XYMXYO
Light, and very little packing space. There's also Fozzils, which uses press studs rather than fold-in tabs, and costs more.

The underside of the pans get fairly sooty if you use the meths burner.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

andrew_s wrote:You could try Orikaso for plate/chopping board
Light, and very little packing space. There's also Fozzils, which uses press studs rather than fold-in tabs, and costs more.

As a cheapskate I often keep an eye on the packaging stuff comes with and find that often you'll get a nice thick bit of plastic. I then cut this with scissors and throw it away when it gets too trashed. I know it's hardly high-end but then...

I do a fair bit of reviewing of hi-fi for www.tnt-audio.com and have long thought that the various bubbles, foams and plastic that come in packaging for free are at least as good as some seriously expensive isolation devices.

Does that count at thread drift of the year???
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

As long as we don't digress to oxygen-free brake cables... ;-)
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

pjclinch wrote:As long as we don't digress to oxygen-free brake cables... ;-)

;-)
JackRabbitSlims

andrew_s wrote:You could try Orikaso for plate/chopping board

Good Stuff!!

Thanks for the recommendations.