Budget Sleeping Bag Recommendations

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
CaptainSlow

Budget Sleeping Bag Recommendations

Post by CaptainSlow »

Hi all,

following on from the "Budget Sleeping Mat" thread posted by another forum member (very timely thanks, just ordered the recommended Alpkit "Numa" as a consequence), can anyone recommend a budget synthetic sleeping bag?

I've a budget of up to around the £100 mark, and would like to get the best "bang for buck" spec. I intend to dip my toe into long-distance touring this year, which will probably be UK/Europe only - late Spring to Early Autumn so deep winter performance is not a necessity.

The Alpkit Pipedream 350S perhaps looks like the sort of thing, but I guess it's too new for any reviews: https://www.alpkit.com/products/pipedream-350s

Thanks in advance
Touring Rig: .....2013 Surly Long Haul Trucker 700c
Sunday Best: ...2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
Foul Weather: .2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
Commuter:.......1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
F70100

Re: Budget Sleeping Bag Recommendations

Post by F70100 »

I had a similar requirement to you and bought a Vango Ultralite 600. I haven't used it yet so can't definitively say if it fits the brief but might give you somewhere to start.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

F70100 wrote:I had a similar requirement to you and bought a Vango Ultralite 600. I haven't used it yet so can't definitively say if it fits the brief but might give you somewhere to start.

+1 (Well sort of) I got the 900 for about £80. Very happy with it so far although yet to try it in warmer weather.......b
CaptainSlow

Post by CaptainSlow »

Thanks guys, I'll check the Vango range out at my local camping kit emporium over the weekend - they look spot on.

Cheers.
Touring Rig: .....2013 Surly Long Haul Trucker 700c
Sunday Best: ...2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
Foul Weather: .2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
Commuter:.......1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Looking second hand may be worth it. Well looked after, a down bag should last for decades and there are definitely bargains to be had. We got an ME Frostline (new would have been north of £250) for £80 and it was pretty much as new and we sorted the kids with reasonable down bags for a fraction of the new price.

If you are buying new try a test-lie. You want snug enough that heat doesn't get lost to convection currents and loose enough that you can scratch an itch anywhere.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I found my vango 300 ultralite warm at 15C and it virtually the same model.
£58 posted. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Ultrali ... 3f4229838d
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

do u really need a sleeping bag? maybe a budget duvet from Tesco will do ( about £8) Thats what I use now, also works well within a bivvy bag.
NATURAL ANKLING

NATURAL ANKLING

pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:do u really need a sleeping bag? maybe a budget duvet from Tesco will do ( about £8) Thats what I use now, also works well within a bivvy bag.

Clearly the absence of sleeping bags from the kit inventory of millions of people across the world who don't sleep in a bed at night suggests that "need" would be a bit over the top for them... What you do get with one, on the other hand, is a very good mix of warmth with compact carry size and low weight. While a budget downie will undoubtedly work, personally I'd sooner rather the bulk was taken up with e.g. nice nibbles, a comfy chair etc.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

I've used a Decathlon €15 summer bag for a few years. Small pack size too.
thayer19

Post by thayer19 »

Noticed DD Hammocks sell a sleeping bag (Jura 2), its designed for hammock use but I don't why you couldn't use it in your tent. It appears pretty well priced as well. Does anyone have any experience of using it? Seems like there should be a hitch with it for the price, maybe the weight as it is 1700g.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd-ju ... eeping-bag
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pjclinch wrote:
mercalia wrote:do u really need a sleeping bag? maybe a budget duvet from Tesco will do ( about £8) Thats what I use now, also works well within a bivvy bag.

Clearly the absence of sleeping bags from the kit inventory of millions of people across the world who don't sleep in a bed at night suggests that "need" would be a bit over the top for them... What you do get with one, on the other hand, is a very good mix of warmth with compact carry size and low weight. While a budget downie will undoubtedly work, personally I'd sooner rather the bulk was taken up with e.g. nice nibbles, a comfy chair etc.

Pete.

well my budget duvet compresses to the size of a basic "typical" sleeping bag, much less than my normal sleeping bag m which admittedly is quite large. And weighs much less.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mercalia wrote:
pjclinch wrote:

Pete.

well my budget duvet compresses to the size of a basic "typical" sleeping bag, much less than my normal sleeping bag m which admittedly is quite large. And weighs much less.

I guess all things are relative - my duvet weighs @ 3kg and takes up about a full backroller pannier, my C2S Spark SP1 sleeping bag weighs @ 350g and packs just a bit bigger than a bag of sugar!

I've used a duvet for car camping - no issues but on a bike - size and weight do matter to me even if i have to shell out some hard earned mullah, my budget was £250!

My advice is to not skimp on your sleeping kit - if its not up to the job you won't sleep - lack of sleep, less enjoyment! whatever your budget make sure the bag (or duvet if you prefer) is rated for where you'll be camping - Spain in summer doesn't need the same as Scotland at the same time, sea level is warmer than up a mountain. :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

£8 v £250 thats a hard one! The reason I use a duvet is that I am too big for (most) mummy bags so I doubt your choice an option for me. I was thinking of a half bag from Phd then use my normal top wear - That would work for me, tried the idea