Wild Country Zephyros 1 vs Vango Banshee 200

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

My 16 year old, 2 man tent weighing in at 4.5kg is pushing it weight wise so I'm after any genuine advice on these tents. I can't justify a spend of more than £100 I'm afraid.

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/wild-coun ... cB#tdesc_2

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/10112 ... #read_more

They are both in a similar price range which is important. The Vango weighs about half a kilo more and is a "1.5 man" tent. My 12 year old has had one for nearly 2 years and there's no way it is a 2 man tent. A decent 1 man with gear storage and cooking space. My 2 man tent is a Vango and it's fantastic quality.

The Zephyros is smaller and lighter by half a kilo. I'm 5'5" so this isn't a hindrance at all. I would only consider the older model as the £50 extra for the newer, lighter tent and smaller pack size isn't worth it to me.

Thanks for any pointers everyone..................hc
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Wild Country Zephyros 1 vs Vango Banshee 200

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Far far far superior as you can sit up and get dressed inside even at 6' tall :!:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eureka-Spitfi ... 1274wt_903
Two man has double entry (wasted on one person) but still comes in at 2 kgs.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eureka-Spitfi ... _910wt_903
Three season of course.
Spec weight are ounces.
Attachments
DSC00089.JPG
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Wow! That 1 man tent is light or has my maths gone up the creek again? [emoji4]I'm keen to find out more. Wonder how such a 'tall' tent performs in wind? Have you got one NA? I'd be interested in more opinions...hc
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Heltor Chasca wrote:Wow! That 1 man tent is light or has my maths gone up the creek again? I'm keen to find out more. Wonder how such a 'tall' tent performs in wind? Have you got one NA? I'd be interested in more opinions...hc

Yes I have the tent at 1.5 kgs.
I also have a Pro Action i man tent also known as tiger paws which is similar slightly heavyer at 1.9 kgs and a bit bigger with a mini porch too. Discontinued.
I have not used it in a storm but it stands up well in strong winds.
You might want to consider vango too.
Vango helix 100 1.52 kgs / 200 is 1.85 kgs. £110.
300 version is 2.4 kgs £100
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271479511878? ... 145wt_1125
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Helix-2 ... 126wt_1141
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Helix-3 ... 969wt_1141

Vango helix 200 has 0.9 m head room so will probably suit your height, banshee seemed low for me even when liying down the tent was on your head, not a problem with cofin tents.

Porch another thing again.........
Attachments
DSC00212-a.jpg
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Yes I have the tent at 1.5 kgs.
I also have a Pro Action i man tent also known as tiger paws which is similar slightly heavyer at 1.9 kgs and a bit bigger with a mini porch too. Discontinued.
I have not used it in a storm but it stands up well in strong winds.
You might want to consider vango too.
Vango helix 100 1.52 kgs / 200 is 1.85 kgs. £110.

Vango helix 200 has 0.9 m head room so will probably suit your height, banshee seemed low for me even when liying down the tent was on your head, not a problem with cofin tents.

Porch another thing again.........

Much appreciated NA. There's summat about that Eureka Spitfire that tickles my fancy. Roomier than the Zephyros and condensation looks less problematic because of the loft. Easier to change clothes etc and loads of space to do yoga and for bats to roost. I also quite fancy having a tent that you don't see in every field. Cool logo too[emoji779]️I think I've found a green one [emoji12]. Any other pointers on the Eureka would be gratefully received. Thank you...hc
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I used a Wild Country Zephyros 2 this summer as my Terra Nova Lazer 2 had died after it's trip around Iceland.

The pole was made of cheese, it lasted 37 days before it broke for the first time.
After that it snapped every 30 days or so, luckily I had no real windy nights because I don't think it would have stood up to one.
Unlike the Lazer 2 which survived a side on force 8 gale.

So I think it's a waste of money if you want it to last on a long tour.
But YMMV.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Tigerbiten wrote:I used a Wild Country Zephyros 2...The pole was made of cheese...But YMMV.

A funny reply [emoji1] love it. Do translate YMMV. I'm no forum guru!

My 16 yo, £80 Vango Hydra 200+ stood up to a hurricane in Pembrokeshire 7-8 years ago. Campsite had a voluntary evacuation. 4 tents opted 'in'. Me: a bit noisy; 2 climbers from Israel: fine; 2 students: too busy kanoodling to know anything else was happening; Scottish couple: tent ripped off them, their dog ran away and slept in the car for the night...hc
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

YMMV = Your Mileage My Vary.

Mine as also in Pembrokeshire, 3 years ago.
Pitched it end on to the wind, by it swung around by 90 degrees during the night, so woke up to the tent being flattened a bit in the morning.
Pole got slightly bent when I took it down, but apart from that the tent was fine.

Luck ......... :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yeh I think that the Wild country is a bit Mountain Marathan like.
As small and as light as it only needs last one night.
The vango helix looks good on paper.
The thing about the Eureka is that its long end to end and despite the one man tent desciption you can stow all your gear top bottom and each side of your bag.
The sit up height which is a boon if your a six footer and then some means you can dress easily in the tent without your head hitting the tent and the insides dont touch your head and feet when sleeping.
Small non exitant porch just room to stow your bottles and cooker.

The tent is three season and its light because the inner is mostly mesh so could prove drafty.
Also the spitfires fly does not come that close to ground for ventilation but is no problem when iot rains.
Very unbeatable for usable space and its 1.5 kgs, you do have side guy lines too for stability.

If its four season you are after then this space comes at a premium price.

I would recomend the tent happily, you will see bigger tents at over 3 kgs and smaller tents which ressemble a bivvy with a twig.
The duo spitfire is stretched sidways so will be a bit of a hotel and at the extra one pound in weight might temp you.

American in foot and ounces so not many available over here used.
Taunton leisure used to list it but not stock it.
Beware that they also make an extra light spitfire so check specs first.
PH

Post by PH »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Also the spitfires fly does not come that close to ground for ventilation but is no problem when iot rains.
Very unbeatable for usable space and its 1.5 kgs, you do have side guy lines too for stability.

The short fly is a feature on many American tents, European tents do tend to be designed with bad weather protection as a higher priority than ventilation.
Rivendell Cycles, those USA sellers of eye wateringly expensive bikes and kit, used to sell and recommend this tent, so it's not all about price.
Only problem for me would be the inability to get in one and see how it felt before buying, I wouldn't buy a tent without doing that.

I know several people with Wild Country tents who have been pleased with them, maybe Tigerbiten was just unlucky, I doubt the Wild Country poles are any worse (Or better) than any other tent at that price point.

A little over your budget and not currently in stock. But if you like slightly different ideas, this might suite you;
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF101.html
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm very grateful for these great replies. Tents ignite quite a passion in people [emoji95] I'm fairly certain I know what I will get. Translate to Mrs HC as 'need'.

I'm 40 now and although I can still sleep on a clothes line, through experience I'd rather spend a wee bit more to get really comfy.

My 4 season sleeping bag is testament to this but too big for touring. My 1 season is too light for anything but warm summer nights. And I gave my 3 season to my 12yo. Mistake [emoji16] Guess what I'm shopping around for? Quite fancy down for a change.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Theres always a fine line between need and desire, me I try to get by on what the minimum I need so I can carry a better range of what I might need on a trip.
Hence I study the weather closely and take one of the four sleeping bags I use today out of a stable of say six, very difficult to get by on just the choice of two I.M.O. Started camping in the mid seventies so know what fits.
Good luck.
cnb

Post by cnb »

Could you not push the boat out a bit and have a look at the Luxe mini peak that Backpacking light uk are selling...I had one and think its a fine shelter..I just upgraded to another Mid style tent...
don1

Post by don1 »

Apparently the vango banshee 200 is 'Designed for anyone who requires a banshee 200 tent' :-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417038276.395947.jpg

In the Decathlon Stockport branch.
don1

Post by don1 »

I quite like the Vango Blade 200 instead of the banshee though, albeit I don't own either.