Simple camping recipes

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Simple camping recipes

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
All my efforts are very basic heat the water normally because I have just camped on the moor and its getting dark.
I sit in the tent and get it down as by then I am starting to shiver, its down to my undies and straight in the bag.
Sometimes I cant be bothered and sometimes just need something not flat tastless and cold.

No town to explore so its ride untill 1/2 an hour before dark and make a decision on which square metre of grass to pitch, costs nowt too.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Deevoy88

Post by Deevoy88 »

For me i like cooking some mushrooms in a pot or pan.when they start softening i add in some bacon/ham. Cook it untill the bacon has cooked or ham has warmed through. Finally add some cheese to the pot until melting. Put it all into a nice soft roll.
Sort of a pizza in a roll. I love it. :D
I may go slow, but I am happy
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

In East Africa where available, water, salt, tomatoes, onion, peanuts, garlic, biltong (dried cured beef steak like jerky but better) curry powder, then add rice and pasta to same pot after boiling for a while. Loads of calories and delicious.

West Africa - water, salt, onion, sardines, tomato paste, curry powder, rice and pasta. Less tasty but still lots of calories.

Tea with every meal :-)

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mrs Beaton's specials / French Toast / Eggy Bread / Gipsy Toast

ALl names for a very simple and magnificent breakfast.

Egg with a small amount of milk and beat

Now add spices or cinnamon to your taste

Take a thick slice of quality bread and dunk in the mixture to coat and soak in slightly then fry

Simple and very, very tasty
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Lidl do "Instant Noddles in a selophane wrapper for 18 p.

Just heat 500 ml of water with flavoured sachet add noddles and simmer for 3 - 5 mins till water is absorbed.
Spicey is tasty and hot, Barbeque and Chicken is blander but edible, Same as super noodles but dirt cheap.

I bought a pkt today and very good value for just 18p. On my pack though said 300 ml of water. certainly worth taking a few pkts. I tried the chicken - was bland as said above but still strangely I ate the lot with no trouble, so may be the taste just not obvious? . good one Natural Ankling
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

Yes 300ml per pack, I normally do two for us at home and use 500ml, perhaps the older packs were 250ml.........
18 p good value.
Spicy Prawn Flavour is a bit hot.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote:
My favourite 'cooking' would probably be precooked frikadel (widely available from the likes of Lidl).

I must admit to a weakness for the Aldi ones. Fine as pre-cooked burgers or can be fine sliced/
chopped to add a bit of meat to anything.
Sweep
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The cooking time of pasta n sauce (12 minutes) is enough to cook most small veg at the same time. Or add a tin of mixed beans towards the end. Packets of vegetable rice provide a similarly useful base.

The water from cooking pasta can be made into sauce with a packet sauce.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

one of my favourites is veggie burger mix...add cold water wait 10 mins(setup tent time)...voila burgers...heat on stove for 6-8 minutes.add to bun with ketchup and salad...
i usually have a side dish of chunky vegetable soup to drink... and some brown bread with seeds in.

If i ever take a packet noodle with me thats when i know its time to stop touring...Im partial to good food...
Heltor Chasca

Simple camping recipes

Post by Heltor Chasca »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:...If i ever take a packet noodle with me thats when i know its time to stop touring...Im partial to good food...

[emoji106]Happy, energetic people usually have good, ethical food inside them (or cider). I never have understood why people suddenly downgrade to 'orange' food just because they are camping, backpacking or touring and wonder why they feel so tired and every chore is a mission. Usually they blame the mattress and the owls [emoji1]
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

What is orange food? Do you mean the fruit? Or is it just food snobbery?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

ipswichcycler wrote:What is orange food? Do you mean the fruit? Or is it just food snobbery?

Blatant food snobbery! [emoji48]
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Eggy bread / Gipsy Toast / Mrs Beaton's special and a host of other names......

Egg and milk whisked together with seasoning to taste
Then soak bread and fry in a pan.

A classic
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
ipswichcycler wrote:What is orange food? Do you mean the fruit? Or is it just food snobbery?

Blatant food snobbery!

HoHo - know what you mean!! There's a world of difference between real cooking, of which Gypsy Toast is a great example, and reconstituting industrialised processed food, usually by adding warm water to some sort of dehydrated GodKnowsWhat, of which PotNoodle is the popular cliché...
Having said that, MacNcheese makes a mighty fine sticky tasty carb. loaded filler! Touring food don't get more Orangey than MaC!! 8)
NomNomNom!
NomNomNom!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

Gypsy toast is good but some people cook it with a MASSIVE KNOB of butter... whereas others just use a little oil. :wink: