Campsites in London (for a camper van)

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sooper8

Campsites in London (for a camper van)

Post by Sooper8 »

I've had a Google but wondered if anyone has personal knowledge...?

I found Lee Valley - is it the nearest campsite to centre of London?

We won't be in a tent, we will be in camper van with bikes.

Are there any sites you may recommend?
mercalia

Re: Campsites in London (for a camper van)

Post by mercalia »

Crystal Palace there is a camp site there? south london

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk-caravan-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21863

they accept motorhomes and open to members and non members. quite a few parks close to to ride in

crystal palace BR take you to London Bridge or Victoria

never stayed there but is quite central?
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

dellwood33 wrote:Have a look on this list :)

http://www.lovecamping.co.uk/campsites/ ... ast/london

Many thanks - Just bookmarked that. Plenty of choice there!
dellwood33

Post by dellwood33 »

I have only stayed at the Abbey Wood site with the Motorhome in the past. Usual good facilities & good access to sights etc as I remember :)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the Crystal Palace camp is only a few mins walk from Crystal Palace park, by the side of it - I took a look and looks great at this time of year. some nice short rides aound it
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Thanks for those personal recommendations.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

To this thread late but i would also go for crystal palace. Crystal palace is also quite interesting these days. Three good bike shops as well, though the one near the junction near the bus station is really for perfornance racers. The other two are called I think Popl and Blue Door. The former has some nice Koga bikes.

Ps - If you have time, pop down the hill to Forest Hill's very own wonderful Horniman Museum. Free, quirky, very nice varied gardens with great views of London.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:To this thread late but i would also go for crystal palace. Crystal palace is also quite interesting these days. Three good bike shops as well, though the one near the junction near the bus station is really for perfornance racers. The other two are called I think Popl and Blue Door. The former has some nice Koga bikes.

Ps - If you have time, pop down the hill to Forest Hill's very own wonderful Horniman Museum. Free, quirky, very nice varied gardens with great views of London.

I agree. On saturday I had a nice 2 hours riding around the parks in that area some are connected by narrow wooded corridors which I didnt know about. Crystal Palace probably my favourite "inner city town"
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:
I agree. On saturday I had a nice 2 hours riding around the parks in that area some are connected by narrow wooded corridors which I didnt know about. Crystal Palace probably my favourite "inner city town"

I know what you mean.

I think it benefitted from being ignored/a bit depressed/"tatty" for so long so a range of interesting small businesses could move in with I presume relatively (everything relative in London) cheap rents.

The "corridors" you refer to may possibly have been on the Green Chain walk which passes through there. I have a guide to it somewhere and if the OP is interested/in that sort of thing I could maybe have a hunt and dig it out.

The Crystal palace museum is also worth a look - maybe slightly odd hours - run by volunteers I think.

And then of course Dulwich Woods - part of that old Highwayman haunt - The Great North Wood - and even has a small folly.
Sweep
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Make sure you book for Crystal Palace especially at busy times.
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

Not really that on topic but having lived in Clapton for the past five years, which is by the river Lea I can highly recommend the canals/River Lea as a way to get into london by bike.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Very true.

As you say, very nice on a bike, somewhat less so in a campervan :)
Sweep