Buying fuel for a multi-fuel stove in Europe

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
hufty

Re: Buying fuel for a multi-fuel stove in Europe

Post by hufty »

FTLOY how about "I wouldn't think a multifuel stove filled with Coleman Fuel is inherently safer to use than one filled with petrol?"
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
tucker

Post by tucker »

I've never really had any trouble buying petrol for my MSR Dragonfly, some vendors cant be bothered selling a small bottle full but just fill up yourself and then pay, small garages are the best.it is always better buying the lower grade of petrol as it has less additives.A great alternative , much cleaner and cheaper,costing about £1.30 per ltr., is was benzine, sold in most supermarkets in holland belgium and south western germany.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

I'm getting confused now. So white spirit is not suitable for burning in a multi-fuel stove? What is the difference between our white spirit and that on the continent?[/quote]

read this for someone in france looking for naptha (petrol aka white spirit)

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default. ... ts&t=36463

there is a reply that suggests Essence C.

If you look at the link for international fuel names at

http://www.homeofpoi.co.uk/lessons_all/ ... es-1_2_517

it is called one of these

Essence filtree
Blanche sans plomb
Essence C
Essence a l'usage domestique

if you follow this technique depending on which country you go you should be fine.[/quote]
But is white spirit sold in the UK naphtha and hence suitable for multi-stove burning?[/quote]

Yes, use it all the time and works great. You just have to ensure you use all safety precautions.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've posted in another topic on stoves recently that Trangia have conveniently published a list of what equivalent fuels are called in many countries - the PDF version can be found here.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The additives in car petrol are carcinogenic, which is one of the two reasons why I use parafin in my multifuel stove in the bigger Trangia (the other is the risk of explosion). On most tours, and certainly on solo tours when I take the smaller Trangia 27, I use a Trangia with the meths burner, however. Meths is easy to use and easy to buy in most of Europe.
hufty

Post by hufty »

willem jongman wrote:The additives in car petrol are carcinogenic, which is one of the two reasons why I use parafin in my multifuel stove in the bigger Trangia (the other is the risk of explosion)

Sounds like dodgy reasoning there, Willem. I take it you make sure not to ride behind any motor vehicles on the way to your campsite?
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
gplhl

Post by gplhl »

If you want to use petrol and run clean and avoid the soot this is possible by carrying both petrol and a cleaner burning fuel like white spirit or meths. Most of these multi fuel stoves burn relatively cleanly once fired up and heated to the point the petrol is vaporised as it comes out of the jet. To get to this point you normally let some fuel out, light it, let it heat the block or tube the fuel runs in then turn on. Nice clean blue flame, but after a sooty pre warm. To pre warm use a teaspoon/cap full of the clean burning meth or alcohol then when you let petrol through it burns cleaner from the off.

Gary
www.longbikeride.co.uk