is my tent concidered heavy

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
HowardW

Re: is my tent concidered heavy

Post by HowardW »

The hoolie 2 looks a lot like my van go gamma 200 (a go out doors special last year) is nice to camp and carry
robing

Post by robing »

My Vango 100 blade is 1.5kg and I love it. It's roomy for a one man tent, has a good porch and have used it on tours of Spain, Wales and Ireland. It coped with some serious downpours and wind in Ireland with no problem at all.
jags

Post by jags »

thanks lads appreciate all the advice .
im in no hurry to buy just want to get the right one .
the hillies are great no doubt but way out of my league.
a look a like will do me as long as it does what its supposed to do doesnt cost an arm and a leg and is light/ roomie sinch to pitch.
please dont think i'm dismissing all the choices im not but i'll know my pivk when i see it. :roll:

jags.
PH

Post by PH »

Two things your tent might be too heavy for - Your bike or your legs. After that the only opinion that matters is yours, no one else is doing the pedaling for you. I wouldn't have such a heavy tent, but neither would I criticize anyone who did. Even with that tent you could still go lightweight camping, just cut down on other kit. But if you start thinking an extra kg on this doesn't matter, you may start thinking that an extra kg on that doesn't matter either, before you know it you could be carrying much more than you want.
jags

Post by jags »

PH i'm ok when it comes to peddling not 100% sure on the bike audax 853, should be fine tho but seen as its the last bike i'll ever buy i'm taking no chances. :wink:
my set up will be Thorn Audax 853/2 rear ortlieb classic panniers/.barbag.thats it well all attached to tubus rack new tent will live on top of rack.
at the moment i'm riding mavic sups on open pro tyres but when i tour i'll change to mavic 319 with ribmo 28 mm tyres.just neee to adjust mudguards so as the wider tyres fit..

jags.
RonK

is my tent concidered heavy

Post by RonK »

Yes, your tent is heavy.

All well meaning encouragement I'm sure, but I've never been able to understand the baffling logic that if you are overweight (implying unfit), then it doesn't matter if you carry extra baggage.What I wonder would be the corollary of this thinking?

It take just a little discipline to keep the load reasonable, and just a little indiscipline to have it verging on the ridiculous.

It's touring, not camping. The tent is merely overnight shelter from the elements. It doesn't have to be a canvas Hilton.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

RonK wrote: It doesn't have to be a canvas Hilton.

you obviously dont tour with my mrs!!! :D
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

thatruddyvicar wrote:I'd rather have a cheap tent and money to go out, than an expensive tent and no money to go anywhere.

But are those the only options?
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
jags

Post by jags »

ah lads its to heavy for my liking even if i lost 2 stone in weight fact remains i still have a heavy tent. :roll:
i dont need a tent until next year when hopefull i join up with my buddy bikepacker and get a weeks touring in.i also want to get over to the UK for a few fellclub meets, last one was a few years back with biepacker it was the best tour i've ever done met up with some cracking people its what keeps me interested in touring.

i'm by no means a seasoned toured, if i can get away with going light but still be comfy warm and dry then that will do it for this kid. :wink:
i'm having serious back problems so lighter the better.
anyway thanks for all the replys.

jags.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

RonK wrote:
It's touring, not camping. The tent is merely overnight shelter from the elements.

Again as in all things - a matter of opinion - typically when touring my tent is pitched longer than the time I spend cycling (and I rarely take rest days)

Yes - the OPs tent is heavy relative to many - but the question the OP should be asking is it heavy with respect to his needs/expectations

I used a relatively lightweight tent (for light read small) for a while - managed - but in bad weather it was not a very comfortable place - I bought a bigger tent for a couple of spring/autumn tours where the percentage chance of rain was higher/daylight was going to be less - never went back to the smaller tent
jags

Post by jags »

looking for lighter not not smaller,if i could shave off 2kg from the tent i have it would be the perfect tent for me.
with all the makes and models of tents out there theres bound to be one that will suit my needs ,thats why i keep asking stupid questions , :wink:
still its good to see what you guys that camp a lot use on your tours.

jags.
PH

Post by PH »

Depending on where and when you're touring, consider taking your tent without the inner, that'd save you some weight without any expense.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

psmiffy wrote:
RonK wrote:
It's touring, not camping. The tent is merely overnight shelter from the elements.

Again as in all things - a matter of opinion -

Exactly. I don't go out to Go Camping, or to Go Cycle Touring... I go out to have a Good Time. Exactly what degree of that will be founded on the camping, or the touring, or the cake stops, or whatever, is not a fixed thing.

My wife and I have a selection of tents (My name is Pete, I am a terminally sad gear junkie) and we'll choose light or spacious or strong according to need. Our spacious (but still reasonably light) tent is a Hille Kaitum 3. It's 3 Kg (now listed as heavier, but current one has heavier pegs and guys so that could be trimmed if needed), and it genuinely has enough room for 3 people. And when I say room that's not just room to lie down motionless but room to sit out a cloud of midges or a rainy morning and not always be in one another's way, possibly including cooking breakfast at the same time.

4 Kg on a one or two person tent is rather excessive these days unless you need a true bunker class performance, and on a cycle tour you don't. 2-3 Kg will give you a reasonably strong, spacious portable cave for a reasonable amount of money. You can tune the compromises between strength, space and weight as you like, but you can have reasonable amounts of strength and space without needing to cart 4 Kg around. Our 4 Kg tent is our Hille Tarra: it can reasonably expected to stand up to storm force winds with no shelter perched on a small rock where tent failure is not an option. Only take something like that cycling if you're riding to that sort of place! (we use it out of a sea kayak, weight is a non issue, bulk not much of one, we might have to park on a shingle beach in a storm).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I would not take a tent that heavy. I don't like heaving a lot of weight around. I often end up on trains or buses and that involves a lot of stairs. No fun with a heavy load. My good [spacious to me] tent when I am definately camping weighs 1.8kg. I am not a big fan of camping. I do it but it's not my first choice. So on a B&B tour I take my emergency kit. This involves a £17 800g tent which I have upgraded slightly and now weighs in at 1kg. I've used it when I've been stuck for a room and for a shelter for the night, or I won't pay for an expensive B&B. It works fine.
If the weather is that bad that a cheap tent will not work then thats fine. I'm off to find a roof. I would not want to be in any tent in stormy weather. Been there done that. No thanks.