andrew_s

Re: camping chair hunt

Post by andrew_s »

Helinox now also make the Ground Chair (560g):

and similar chairs are also available from Alite designs

Mantis: Image
Monarch:Image
Mayfly:Image
Last edited by andrew_s on 4 Jul 2016, 8:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I got a Helinox Chair One as a (very generous) Christmas present, and it's excellent.
slowpeddler

Post by slowpeddler »

I use the ergolife chair. It wraps around my tent in the rackpack and is perfect for sitting in the porch or anywhere.

It really is the most comfortable camp chair I've ever used. I have a bad back but this solves all my camp problems

http://www.ergolife.co.uk/home/product/1

John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

slowpeddler wrote:I use the ergolife chair. It wraps around my tent in the rackpack and is perfect for sitting in the porch or anywhere.

It really is the most comfortable camp chair I've ever used. I have a bad back but this solves all my camp problems

http://www.ergolife.co.uk/home/product/1

John

I got a chair that is a similar idea from Go Outdoors for a tenner. Its padded and a bit stiffer. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/anywhere-ch ... e--p152359 It has a carrying strap and a pocket on it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I've just ordered one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151345945835? ... 1497.l2649
Seems to be virtually identical to a Helinox but a fraction of the price.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

pedalsheep wrote:I've just ordered one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151345945835? ... 1497.l2649
Seems to be virtually identical to a Helinox but a fraction of the price.

Hi Pedalsheep, do let us know what you think of your purchase - the eBay one looks a really good buy. I have Helinox chairs and if yours comes up to par, you'll be well pleased (although Helinox might not be :D )
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

The Seaflo ultralight Helinox copy chair arrived yesterday and so far I am very pleased with it. I sat in the garden reading in it for about an hour and it was extremely comfortable. I don't know if its as strongly built as the Helinox but it looks fine to me and is quite sturdy. Complete with bag it weighs 900g on my kitchen scales.
As bikes4two said, I'm very happy tho Helinox may not be! :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Cheltourer

Post by Cheltourer »

Hello,

Having just returned from a touring holiday, I recommend Robens "Geographic Stool" made from duralumin 7075. it folds up neatly and took my 81kg weight. I purchased my from Cotswold Outdoors in May for £18, else where you may find it cheaper.

Cheers
ikenbikeit

Post by ikenbikeit »

Cheltourer

The problem with the Robens stool was I could not made contact with the seat as it was too far down , except when I fell after a 10 second hover -- backwards ---in the middle of Blacks in Liverpool.
I plumped for the Helinox copy online.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Maplin had some light alloy stools for aovut £10 a short time ago. A bit bulky but very light if u use a trailer. Also meant as a tiny steps so will bear a lot of weight
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

pedalsheep wrote:The Seaflo ultralight Helinox copy chair arrived yesterday and so far I am very pleased with it. I sat in the garden reading in it for about an hour and it was extremely comfortable. I don't know if its as strongly built as the Helinox but it looks fine to me and is quite sturdy. Complete with bag it weighs 900g on my kitchen scales.

I have two Helinox chairs (both excellent quality and very comfortable) and my friend bought the Seaflo copy last week. Today we put our chairs side by side and they are virtually identical in construction, material used, comfort and weight. Mrs B4t says there are minor differences in some of the stitching detail that might (repeat MIGHT) make a difference to longevity in the long term.

I weighed the two chairs - the Seaflo came in 60gms lighter (820gms vs 880gms) and the Helinox original came in at £60 heavier :roll:

If you are looking for a light, comfy char, then go for the Seaflo, currently on eBay for £27 (just search eBay on Helinox and the Seaflo comes up - for now that is, before Helinox complain or take other action).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

bikes4two wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:The Seaflo ultralight Helinox copy chair arrived yesterday and so far I am very pleased with it. I sat in the garden reading in it for about an hour and it was extremely comfortable. I don't know if its as strongly built as the Helinox but it looks fine to me and is quite sturdy. Complete with bag it weighs 900g on my kitchen scales.

I have two Helinox chairs (both excellent quality and very comfortable) and my friend bought the Seaflo copy last week. Today we put our chairs side by side and they are virtually identical in construction, material used, comfort and weight. Mrs B4t says there are minor differences in some of the stitching detail that might (repeat MIGHT) make a difference to longevity in the long term.

I weighed the two chairs - the Seaflo came in 60gms lighter (820gms vs 880gms) and the Helinox original came in at £60 heavier :roll:

If you are looking for a light, comfy char, then go for the Seaflo, currently on eBay for £27 (just search eBay on Helinox and the Seaflo comes up - for now that is, before Helinox complain or take other action).

NOT looking, so tempting to buy more kit but I don't need it and the kids will just swipe it anyway!

EDIT they do have the alite ones on display in the Picadilly cotswold outdoors shop ( no doubt in other too) if anyone wants to try them. I sank into one of the low ones quite happily but was a bit more challenged extracting myself. Lots nicer than sitting on the ground/or sitting on and puncturing your thermarest though!
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Wow- these jumped up in price!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151345945835? ... 1423.l2649
Presume they got decimal point in wrong place?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Sooper8 wrote:Wow- these jumped up in price!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151345945835? ... 1423.l2649
Presume they got decimal point in wrong place?

Probably not - I have heard that, rather than having to take down & re-list an item when the seller has run out, folk will sometimes put a silly price on it while they await fresh stock. If anyone is foolish enough to buy it at that price then it is worth their while sourcing one elsewhere.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »