Bragging about being a charity.

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
regoak

Bragging about being a charity.

Post by regoak »

I wasnt enamoured with the accountancy wheeze of becoming a charity in the first place.
I am even less pleased about the CTC logo etc being accompanied with the proclomation about being the National Cycling Charity.
Exactly what is this proclomation supposed to convey?
It is also a bit demaeaning for charities that operate for welfare and health purposes, having an organisation primarily operating for leisure purposes having themselves parade as an equal.
OK the accountants have succeeded in getting the CTC a tax break etc, but dont flaunt it in such a banal way.
gaz

Re: Bragging about being a charity.

Post by gaz »

regoak wrote:I wasnt enamoured with the accountancy wheeze of becoming a charity in the first place.
I am even less pleased about the CTC logo etc being accompanied with the proclomation about being the National Cycling Charity.
Exactly what is this proclomation supposed to convey?

It conveys clearly and simply that the CTC is now a Charity.

regoak wrote:It is also a bit demaeaning for charities that operate for welfare and health purposes, having an organisation primarily operating for leisure purposes having themselves parade as an equal.

Charities are voluntary organisations which benefit the public in a way the law says is charitable. Charities do not just operate for welfare and health purposes.

Here are a few examples that you might be readily familiar with:

The National Trust, Registered Charity Number 205846
YHA (England and Wales), Registered Charity Number 306122
Canal and River Trust, Registered Charity Number 1146792
The Cyclists Defence Fund, 1108037 (I don't recall any outcry when the CTC registered that charity in 2005).

regoak wrote:OK the accountants have succeeded in getting the CTC a tax break etc, but dont flaunt it in such a banal way.

I'm sure there would be an outcry from some if the CTC was trying to continue to pass itself off as the National Cyclists' Association, and not the National Cycling Charity, as if nothing had changed. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
John Catt

Post by John Catt »

regoak wrote:It is also a bit demaeaning for charities that operate for welfare and health purposes, having an organisation primarily operating for leisure purposes having themselves parade as an equal.
OK the accountants have succeeded in getting the CTC a tax break etc, but dont flaunt it in such a banal way.

I'd point out that many of these "welfare and health" charities see cycling (which is what CTC promotes as a charity) as complementary in helping reduce the need of their services.

Lack of exercise results in:

Poor transfer of oxygen through blood to the cells.
Increased risk of cancer. Active people face less risk.
Diabetes. Insulin sensitivity is increased due to lack of exercise.
Obesity, which leads to several health problems.
Heart diseases.
Strokes. Regular exercise lowers blood pressure, reduces the risk of blood clots and raises HDL cholesterol.
The chances of cognitive decline or dementia. These are seen less in active people.
Loss of muscle mass.
Osteoporosis.

Take a look at what that notable health charity the British Heart Foundation has to say about cycling - http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart_matters_online/april_may_2011/activity/cycling.aspx

I would suggest that the CTC, if it succeeds in increasing cycling levels to those seen in many countries on the Continent, will deliver a larger health benefit than most individual health charities.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Some people just can't accept that they lost the vote.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

But one of the good features of being a charity is that everybody is entitled to comment freely (so long as they avoid defamation, of course.)

FWIW, I thought the OP might have saved his breath, or the virtual equivalent, but I'd not want him denied his right to express an opinion.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Really?

A quick look through the CTC forum turns up no end of cyclists who have no interest in sport, touring or club runs, but use their bikes primarily as transport for commuting and/or utility. In what way does the CTC not represent these then?

The CTC dropped the idea of being primarily for tourists years ago.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster