CTC 2012 AGM Motions

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Si

Re: CTC AGM Motions URGENT HELP NEEDED

Post by Si »

Did anyone, in giving the chair their vote, actually think that the discretionary votes would be be cast in accordance with the 'real' votes? No one I have spoken to thought this - rather they assumed that the chair knew best and would use their vote as he saw fit. They were trusting the chair's judgement, and there was no subterfuge involved. Thus I see nothing wrong with the process, even if the vote did go the wrong way in my view.

If we are up a gum tree without a paddle because of this vote and the chair's use of discretionary votes then I think a proportion of the membership have to hold their hands up and admit that it is their fault. If they were happy for their votes to be cast 'randomly' on a subject that they hadn't bothered trying to understand just so that they had a slight chance of winning a jacket then can they really complain?

Of course, we can see the introduction of prizes for voting as being a bit of a sneaky trick: on the one hand you had an equal chance of winning the jacket which ever way you voted, but on the other, one might suggest that people who wanted the jacket but couldn't be bothered with the details of the proposals were most likely to cede their votes to the chair. Again, as much these voters' fault due to their apathy and greed as it was N.O.'s.

Perhaps in future, if a higher turn out is wanted an extra option could be added to the ballot: "Abstain because I don't care about the future of the club and only want to win a jacket"? BTW, if you did cede your vote to the chair because you had a genuine belief that it was for the good of the club then please don't be insulted by this - it is those who were only interested in the prizes that I'm talking about.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discretion

dis·cre·tion   [dih-skresh-uhn] Show IPA
noun
the power or right to decide or act according to one's own judgment; freedom of judgment or choice: It is entirely within my discretion whether I will go or stay.
the quality of being discreet, especially with reference to one's own actions or speech; prudence or decorum: Throwing all discretion to the winds, he blurted out the truth.

All said and done when you give your vote to the chair they will not vote at their discretion but vote what the view of the Council.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd suggest there are two reasons for somebody appointing the chair of a meeting (or anybody else) to be their proxy:-

So that their vote may be cast on their behalf:

(a) in accordance with their own expressed wish

(b) at the proxy's discretion (which may be particularly useful in the case of votes on amendments.)

I can't see anything sinister in this. As I posted during the earlier charity debates, the CTC Chair of Council has a distinguished career in local politics and this was a prominent part of his personal election address when he was elected to this position. I'm sure he has a lot of experience in running meetings to get through the business and reach decisions in accordance with the rules of an organisation so it seems to me to be both unrealistic and rather unfair to expect him to act differently to what he was offering when elected. (In other circumstances, there would have been the potential for grumbling if no decisions were ever taken because of a wishy-washy chair.)

Put another way, the ship has sailed. There's little to be achieved now by jumping up and down on the quay and waving - the captain is looking out to sea.
Si

Post by Si »

(a) in accordance with their own expressed wish

Yes,I should have made the distinction in my previous post that I was talking about people who had let the chair decide which way the vote was to be cast rather than those who instructed the chair or another proxy which way to cast their votes.
Philip Benstead

CTC AGM 2012 motions ver. 7.doc

Deadline for submission of motions is 1 February 2011

I have had comments made on these motion and request for reports

Many thanks for all contributions.

Please make your comments on the principal and the wording including proposer's note.

What do you think?

I am looking for proposer and seconder for some of these motions. It is not a good idea for the same proposer and seconder to submit all of these.

ANY TAKER?

MOTIONS/REPORTS TO CTC AGM 2012

Motion 1

Articles of Association

Any change(s) to the current Articles of Association will not be changed without the consent of all member(s) by a vote at AGM. (words 23)

Proposer's note: At the AGM last year a motion was passed to allow the council to change the Articles of Association to enable the company to become a Charity, that motion was open ended. This motion seeks to restrict that motion, and enable any changes to be fully considered and agreed by the members.

Motion 2

Chair of CTC national AGM

General Meetings shall select such persons from its number to be chair of the meeting. (words 15)

Proposer's note: This motion aims to increase transparency and democratic accountability to member by calling the executive to account at the AGM.

Motion 3

AGM Chairman’s Discretionary Votes

All chairman’s members discretionary votes shall be cast in proportion for or against for a particular motion in proportion to those cast by members both attending the AGM and postal votes. (words 31)

Proposer's note: This motion aims to implement a more accurate voting system, in the belief that the members that have personally voted accurately reflect the wishes of the members, and believes that proxy votes should be cast accordingly. This would give equal weight to all votes cast both at the AGM and by post.

CTC MEMBERS REQUESTING REPORTS AT THE AGM 2012

Asking for reports will get round the need to pass a motion.

Charity Commission Rejection Letter

CTC Council to provide by AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter. It shall explain the reasons for the withholding of this publicly available information from directors and members and the implication on the constitutional, structure and service to all stakeholders and the provision of mandated activities such as campaigning. The report is to published on the members part of the website with a summary in the next publication of “Cycle”.
Website Project.

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 a report on a full audit and cost report on the CTC website project with a critique on what went wrong and the outcome. The report is to published on the members part of the website with a summary in the magazine as soon as practicable.

Payments to CTC Charitable Trust

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 a detailed report on all payments agreed in council and elsewhere made by the CTC the club to the CTC Charitable Trust over and above the amounts agreed in the service agreement (of in the region of £120k) and on what authority. The report is to be published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.

Project Accounting

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 a detailed as to reason for the failure to implement the council agreed policy of the introduction of a proper project accounting system, along with full disclosure to members at the AGM reporting of all projects with a cost of more than a certain sum, say £50,000 (actual). The report is to be published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.

IF THE REQUEST FOR THE REPORTS IS REJECTED THEN

Motion 4

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter. It shall explain the reasons for the withholding of this publicly available information from directors and members and the implication on the constitutional, structure and service to all stakeholders and the provision of mandated activities such as campaigning and the provision for Country wide Member Groups. The report is to published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (words 87)

Proposer's note: This aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to member as to any possible change to the nature/aim and objective of the CTC

Motion 5

Website Project.

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a report on a full audit and cost report on the CTC website project with a critique on what went wrong and the outcome. The report is to published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (words 56)

Proposer's note: This aims to understand what went wrong and to reflect on the lessons learned.

Motion 6

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on all payments agreed in council and elsewhere made by the CTC the club to the CTC Charitable Trust over and above the amounts agreed in the service agreement (of in the region of £120k) and on what authority. The report is to be published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (words 75)

Proposer's note: This aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to members to the financing of a non-member activity from members funds.

Motion 7

Project Accounting

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed as to explanation for the failure to implement the council agreed policy of the introduction of a proper project accounting system, along with full disclosure to members at the AGM of all projects with a cost of more than a certain sum, say £50,000 (actual). The report is to be published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (words 80)

Proposer's note: This aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to financial diligence by the council with member monies.

END
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

They were trusting the chair's judgement, and there was no subterfuge involved.

I would tend to agree with this statement but it may be impossible to prove.

It may be worth having a motion to draw the issue to full consideration of the CTC.

Motion
That all AGM votes to be cast for or against a motion.

Reasons
1) This would mean there would be no uncertainty about the way a member wished to vote.

2) Allowing discretionary or proxy votes means voting for a position or person, like the Chair or probably indirectly CTC Council via the Chair, but not voting directly on the motion presented. This complicates the issue by the option of voting for a group such as the CTC Council and is not directly responding to the motion.

3) It would mean only where a clear intention on the motion is provided that it is included.

The above motion would allow the CTC and members to consider if it wished to change/modify the current system or continue as is. It would sort out one avenue of possible conflict that may arise on occasions.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Philip Benstead wrote:Motion 2

General Meetings shall select such persons from its number to be chair of the meeting. (words 15)

Proposer's note: This motion aims to increase transparency and democratic accountability to member by calling the executive to account at the AGM.

Please be aware that this will involve a change to the current Mem and Arts, so requiring a 75% majority of those voting.
10.4 0 The Chair of the Council shall when present preside at all General Meetings. In the absence of the Chair the Vice Chair of the Council shall preside. In the absence of all such persons the meeting shall elect a Chairman from among its own number.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

Philip Benstead wrote:MOTIONS/REPORTS TO CTC AGM 2012

Motion 1

Articles of Association

Any change(s) to the current Articles of Association will not be changed without the consent of all member(s) by a vote at AGM. (words 23)

Proposer's note: At the AGM last year a motion was passed to allow the council to change the Articles of Association to enable the company to become a Charity, that motion was open ended. This motion seeks to restrict that motion, and enable any changes to be fully considered and agreed by the members.

all? 100% turn out voting 100% in favour of the change. Did you perhaps mean the existing arrangement of a 75% majority of those voting?

Inicdentally I expect the 75% rule is part of Company Law rather than CTC regulation. Proxy voting rules are covered by a bit of both, i.e. the law says we must provide for proxy voting and CTC's Mem and Arts set out how we handle it within the law.

More importantly I can't see anything open ended about Motion 1 at the 2011 AGM.
Special resolution: Charity vote
1 Proposed by B Flood on behalf of the Council, seconded by A Spurr

This AGM agrees that the revised Memorandum and Articles of Association as circulated with the Notice of the Annual General Meeting in the April/May issue of Cycle magazine be adopted as the new Articles of Association of the Club in substitution for and to the exclusion of all existing Articles of Association.

The revised articles were adopted, there is no provision for future revision without a further vote on such revisions at a General Meeting, requiring a 75% majority of those voting.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

we forget that CTC staffers, acting on written instructions, were handing out voting forms and saying 'don't bother filling them in, just tick the proxy bit'.

All this stuff about the 2012 AGM is a bit beside the point. Councillors are set on their course, and nothing is going to change their minds. If the appeal is successful then it's game over, but if it's rejected we're in to something new.

I think that a rejection will kill it - there's not the spine there to go back and get another change in the Mems and Arts, particularly since they know that people like me will be laughing like drains and saying 'told you so'.
Philip Benstead

CTC AGM 2012 motions ver.9.doc

Many thanks for all contributions. Can anybody spot any typographical errors?

Can I submit it NOW?

I know Kevin Mayne will try to change them.

Motion 1

Articles of Association

Any change to current or future Articles of Association are to be carried out with a vote of the members at an AGM. (Words 23)

Proposer's note: At the AGM last year a motion was passed to allow the council to change the Articles of Association to enable the company to become a Charity that motion was open ended. This motion seeks to restrict that motion, and enable any changes to be fully considered and agreed by the members.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 2

AGM shall select such persons from its number to Chair the meeting. (Words 14)

Proposer's note: This motion aims to increase transparency and democratic accountability to members by calling the executive to account at the AGM.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 3

Chairman’s discretionary votes shall be cast in proportion to those cast by members attending the AGM and postal votes.

Proposer's note: This motion aims to implement a more accurate voting system, in the belief that the members that have personally voted accurately reflect the wishes of the members, and believes that proxy votes should be cast accordingly. This would give equal weight to all votes cast both at the AGM and by post.

Charity Commission Rejection Letter.

CTC Council to provide by AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter. It shall explain the reasons for the withholding of this publicly available information from directors and members and the implications for the constitution, and structure of the CTC and service to all stakeholders and the provision of mandated activities such as campaigning. The report is too be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in the next publication of “Cycle”.

Website Project.

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 a report on the CTC website project with a critique on what went wrong and the outcome. The report is too published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in the magazine as soon as practicable.

Payments to CTC Charitable Trust.

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 a detailed report on all payments agreed in council and elsewhere made by the CTC the club to the CTC Charitable Trust over and above the amounts agreed in the service agreement (in the region of £120k) and on what authority. The report is to be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.

Project Accounting.

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 an explanation of the failure to implement the council- agreed policy to introduce proper project accounting system, along with full reporting to members at the AGM of all projects with a cost of more than a certain sum, say £50,000 (actual). The report is to be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.

Motion 4

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter. It shall explain the reasons for the withholding of this publicly available information from directors and members and the implications for the constitution, and structure of the CTC and services to all stakeholders and the provision of mandated activities such as campaigning and the provision for countrywide Member Groups. The report is too be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 90)

Proposer's note: This aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to members as to any possible change to the nature/aims and objectives of the CTC.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 5

Website Project.

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a full audit and cost report on the CTC website project with a critique of what went wrong and the outcome. The report is too be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 53)

Proposer's note: This aims to understand what went wrong and to reflect on the lessons learned.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 6

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on all payments agreed in council and elsewhere made by the CTC the club to the CTC Charitable Trust over and above the amounts agreed in the service agreement (in the region of £120k) and on what authority. The report is to be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 75)

Proposer's note: This aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to members to the financing of a non-member activity from members’ funds.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 7

Project Accounting.

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 an explanation for the failure to implement the council agreed policy to introduce a proper project accounting system, along with full disclosure to members at the AGM of all projects with a cost of more than a certain sum, say £50,000 (actual). The report is to be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 75)

Proposer's note: This aims to increase the transparency and democratic accountability of the council to members.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

END
Last edited by Philip Benstead on 27 Jan 2012, 9:45pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

Philip - why don't you propose them yourself if you think they are such a good idea?

Or take heed of my previous post? You're wasting your time.
Philip Benstead

CTC AGM 2012 motions ver.9.doc

We have inserted an other motion to get rid of Discretionary Votes completely.

Can I submit it NOW?

Motion 1

Articles of Association

Any change to current or future Articles of Association are to be carried out with a vote of the members at an AGM. (Words 23)

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 2

AGM shall select such persons from its number to Chair the meeting. (Words 14)

Proposer's note: This motion aims to increase transparency and democratic accountability to members by calling the executive to account at the AGM by having an independent chairman.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 3

Discretionary Votes.

Discretionary votes for the chairman and members should no long be permitted at CTC AGM’s
(Words 15)

Proposer's note: This motion aims to implement a voting system that accurately reflects the wishes of the members. In the belief that votes should be used by members who have clearly express a view at either the AGM or by post and reduces the possibility of block of discretionary votes being used to hinder the wishes of members.

This would give equal weight to all votes cast both at the AGM and by post.

This motion does not take away the casting vote of the chairman.

Motion 4

Chairman’s discretionary votes shall be cast in proportion to those casts either by members expressing a view at the AGM or by post. (Words 23)

Proposer's note: This motion aims to implement a voting system that accurately reflects the wishes of the members. In the belief that votes should be used by members who have clearly express a view at either the AGM or by post and reduces the possibility of block of discretionary votes being used to hinder the wishes of members.

Proposer
Eric Gill

Seconder
Philip Benstead

CTC Council to provide by AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter. It shall explain the reasons for the withholding of this publicly available information from directors and members and the implications for the constitution, and structure of the CTC and service to all stakeholders and the provision of mandated activities such as campaigning. The report is too be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in the next publication of “Cycle”.

Website Project.

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 a report on the CTC website project with a critique on what went wrong and the outcome. The report is too published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in the magazine as soon as practicable.

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 a detailed report on all payments agreed in council and elsewhere made by the CTC the club to the CTC Charitable Trust over and above the amounts agreed in the service agreement (in the region of £120k) and on what authority. The report is to be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.

Project Accounting.

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 an explanation of the failure to implement the council- agreed policy to introduce proper project accounting system, along with full reporting to members at the AGM of all projects with a cost of more than a certain sum, say £50,000 (actual). The report is to be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.

Motion 5

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter. It shall explain the reasons for the withholding of this publicly available information from directors and members and the implications for the constitution, and structure of the CTC and services to all stakeholders and the provision of mandated activities such as campaigning and the provision for countrywide Member Groups. The report is too be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 90)

Proposer's note: This aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to members as to any possible change to the nature/aims and objectives of the CTC.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 6

Website Project.

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a full audit and cost report on the CTC website project with a critique of what went wrong and the outcome. The report is too be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 53)

Proposer's note: Website Project is been over budget and late in its implementation, This motion aims to understand what went wrong and to reflect on the lessons learned.

Proposer
Eric Gill

Seconder
Philip Benstead

Motion 7

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on all payments agreed in council and elsewhere made by the CTC the club to the CTC Charitable Trust over and above the amounts agreed in the service agreement (in the region of £120k) and on what authority. The report is to be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 75)

Proposer's note: This motion aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to members to the financing of a non-members activity from members’ monies.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 8

Project Accounting.

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 an explanation for the failure to implement the council agreed policy to introduce a proper project accounting system, along with full disclosure to members at the AGM of all projects with a cost of more than £50,000 (actual). The report is to be published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 75)

Proposer's note: This aims to increase the transparency and democratic accountability of the council to members, this policy has already been agree by CTC council but has not been implement, this motion hopes is to make it a reality.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

END
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

We have inserted an other motion to get rid of Discretionary Votes completely.

3 and 4 would no longer be included?

Would it help to have 2 volunteer financial inspectors of CTC and independently report any concerns? A motion asking that 2 volunteers could be allowed could be put.

Motion 3

Discretionary Votes.

Discretionary votes for the chairman and members should no long be permitted at CTC AGM’s

Motion 4

Chairman’s discretionary votes shall be cast in proportion to those casts either by members expressing a view at the AGM or by post. (Words 23)
Philip Benstead

CTC AGM 2012 motions ver.10.doc

We have inserted a new motion to get rid of the Discretionary Votes completely.

Can I submit it NOW?

Motion 1

Articles of Association

Proposer's note: At the AGM last year a motion was passed that gave the impression it permitted the CTC Council to change the Articles of Association without reference to the new AGM vote. This motion is to reaffirm the normal practice under company law that states that all changes of the Articles of Association have to be vote on at an AGM.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 2

AGM shall select such persons from its number as it so choice to Chair the meeting. (Words 16)

Proposer's note: This motion aims to increase transparency and democratic accountability to members by calling the executive to account at the AGM by having an independent chairman.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 3

Discretionary Votes.

(Words 15)

CTC Council shall provide by AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter and posting it on the members’ part of the CTC website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.
It shall explain the reasons for the withholding of this publicly available information from directors, members, and the implications for the rejection for the future of the CTC constitution, and structure and of services to all stakeholders and the provision of mandated activities such as campaigning and the provision for countrywide Member Groups.

Website Project.

CTC Council shall provide at the AGM 2012 a report on the CTC website project with a critique on what went wrong and the outcome. The report is too published on the members’ part of the website with a summary in the magazine as soon as practicable.

CTC Council shall provide at the AGM 2012 a detailed report on all payments agreed in council and elsewhere made by the CTC the club to the CTC Charitable Trust over and above the amounts agreed in the service agreement (in the region of £120k) and on what authority and posting it on the members’ part of the CTC website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.

Project Accounting.

CTC Council shall provide at the AGM 2012 an explanation for the failure to implement the council agreed policy to introduce a proper project accounting system, along with full disclosure to members at the AGM of all projects with a cost of more than £50,000 and posting them on the members’ part of the CTC website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 75)

Motion 4

CTC Council shall provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter by posting it on the members’ part of the CTC website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.
It shall explain the reasons for the withholding of this publicly available information from directors, members, and the implications for the rejection for the future of the CTC constitution, and structure and of services to all stakeholders and the provision of mandated activities such as campaigning and the provision for countrywide Member Groups. (Words 93)

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 6

Website Project.

CTC Council shall provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a full audit and cost report on the CTC website project with a critique of what went wrong and the outcome by posting them on the members’ part of the CTC website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable..(Words 52)

Proposer's note: Website Project is been over budget and late in its implementation, This motion aims to understand what went wrong and to reflect on the lessons learned.

Proposer
Eric Gill

Seconder
Philip Benstead

Motion 6

CTC Council shall provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on all payments agreed in council and elsewhere made by the CTC the club to the CTC Charitable Trust over and above the amounts agreed in the service agreement (in the region of £120k) and on what authority by posting it on the members’ part of the CTC website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 72)

Proposer's note: This motion aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to members to the financing of a non-members activity from members’ monies.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

Motion 7

Project Accounting.

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 an explanation for the failure to implement the council agreed policy to introduce a proper project accounting system, along with full disclosure to members at the AGM of all projects with a cost of more than £50,000 by posting them on the members’ part of the CTC website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (Words 75)

Proposer's note: This aims to increase the transparency and democratic accountability of the council to members, this policy has already been agree by CTC council but has not been implement, this motion hopes is to make it a reality.

Proposer
Philip Benstead

Seconder
Eric Gill

END
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Philip Benstead wrote:Motion 3

All chairman’s members discretionary votes shall be cast in proportion for or against for a particular motion in proportion to those cast by members both attending the AGM and postal votes. (words 31)

Proxy voting is permitted because it is the only way, in many cases, to meet a minimum number of votes. The rules on proxies are quite clear & I don't have a problem with it. However, I do think it should be clear on ballot/poll papers that someone who is appointing a proxy can also direct him/her how to vote. Also, a member can appoint anyone as proxy, as long as the form is submitted 48 hours in advance. If members feel that a change is appropriate, perhaps it should be that when the council prescribes a form for the appointment of proxies, they should include a space for member to write the name of alternate proxy and/or allow them to appoint their national councillor (with a tick box or something) instead of the chair.
Philip Benstead wrote:CTC MEMBERS REQUESTING REPORTS AT THE AGM 2012

CTC Council to provide by AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter. It shall explain the reasons for the withholding of this publicly available information from directors and members and the implication on the constitutional, structure and service to all stakeholders and the provision of mandated activities such as campaigning. The report is to published on the members part of the website with a summary in the next publication of “Cycle”.
Website Project.

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 a report on a full audit and cost report on the CTC website project with a critique on what went wrong and the outcome. The report is to published on the members part of the website with a summary in the magazine as soon as practicable.

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 a detailed report on all payments agreed in council and elsewhere made by the CTC the club to the CTC Charitable Trust over and above the amounts agreed in the service agreement (of in the region of £120k) and on what authority. The report is to be published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.

Project Accounting

CTC Council to provide at the AGM 2012 a detailed as to reason for the failure to implement the council agreed policy of the introduction of a proper project accounting system, along with full disclosure to members at the AGM reporting of all projects with a cost of more than a certain sum, say £50,000 (actual). The report is to be published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable.

It might have been better to submit a petition, signed by members, but it's probably a little late for that...

Philip Benstead wrote:IF THE REQUEST FOR THE REPORTS IS REJECTED THEN

Motion 4

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter. It shall explain the reasons for the withholding of this publicly available information from directors and members and the implication on the constitutional, structure and service to all stakeholders and the provision of mandated activities such as campaigning and the provision for Country wide Member Groups. The report is to published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (words 87)

Proposer's note: This aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to member as to any possible change to the nature/aim and objective of the CTC

I think this should be two motions.
1) CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on the Charities Commission rejection letter. The letter shall include the implications to the structure, M&A, and the activities of the club. It shall also describe in detail the actions to be taken in order to obtain charity status for England and Wales.
2) described at the end
Philip Benstead wrote:Motion 5

Website Project.

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a report on a full audit and cost report on the CTC website project with a critique on what went wrong and the outcome. The report is to published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (words 56)

Rather than saying 'what went wrong', which sometimes gets people's backs up, it might be better to just request a 'lessons learned' report. Also, if the report is to be in depth, one month might be too aggressive a target.

Philip Benstead wrote:Motion 6

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed report on all payments agreed in council and elsewhere made by the CTC the club to the CTC Charitable Trust over and above the amounts agreed in the service agreement (of in the region of £120k) and on what authority. The report is to be published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (words 75)

Proposer's note: This aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to members to the financing of a non-member activity from members funds.

Motion 7

Project Accounting

CTC Council to provide by one month after this AGM 2012 a detailed as to explanation for the failure to implement the council agreed policy of the introduction of a proper project accounting system, along with full disclosure to members at the AGM of all projects with a cost of more than a certain sum, say £50,000 (actual). The report is to be published on the members part of the website with a summary in “Cycle” as soon as practicable. (words 80)

Proposer's note: This aims increase transparency and democratic accountability to financial diligence by the council with member monies.

END

There are several areas where information hasn't been disseminated to members. I think that it may be appropriate to offer a motion requesting council to establish a policy for this purpose:

CTC Council shall create and implement a policy describing the distribution of information to members when the Council or its appointees are unable to fulfill a motion as approved at a previous AGM. The policy should include the requirements for a proposal to correct the situation.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom