Report on the progress of CTC charity application 2012 Jan 6

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Simon L6

Re: Report on the progress of CTC charity application 2012 J

Post by Simon L6 »

the thing is, Steady Rider, the present Club/Charity arrangement could be made to work. All it would take is a bit of transparency and the will to offer the members something approaching value for money.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Home page CTC
CTC Charitable Trust, registered as a charity in England and Wales number 1104324, Scotland number SCO38626. Cyclists’ Touring Club, registered as a charity in Scotland no SC042541, application for registration in England and Wales currently subject to review.

It appears to me that members wanting to be listed as a charity could join the CTC Charitable Trust and have full CTC benefits, the details of the Trust may need some attention.

Other members could just continue as is.

This may avoid the risk of reapplying for a full charity status. If this is granted some members may or should it be 'will', not be happy. If it is not granted the CTC image may be discredited to an extent as a worthy cause. In both cases the CTC may not have gained much ground. Other sporting clubs may say we want to be charities, social health benefits, tennis, golf, football, cricket etc. These are worthy causes but in some ways not considered charities.

As things now stand I would suggest a step back and try a dual membership approach, lower risk approach.

Kevin is leaving and to minimise going over old issues, not a lot to say. the Chair, possibly it goes with the job of likes and dislikes, as in politics. Both difficult jobs perhaps as the forums show the number of issues that can arise.
cyclamity

Post by cyclamity »

I believe that the next meeting of the CTC National Council is in 2/3 days time, this Saturday, 21 January 2012. No doubt the implications for the CTC of the rejection of its application for registration as a charity in England and Wales will be on the agenda. We read on the website that:

"Agendas for all meetings will appear on the website one week before the meeting....."

I have looked in vain for an agenda at: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5535

Is it there? If not, where is it please?
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

cyclamity wrote:I believe that the next meeting of the CTC National Council is in 2/3 days time, this Saturday, 21 January 2012. No doubt the implications for the CTC of the rejection of its application for registration as a charity in England and Wales will be on the agenda. We read on the website that:

"Agendas for all meetings will appear on the website one week before the meeting....."

I have looked in vain for an agenda at: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5535

I am going to this meeting. I email the CTC HQ in December and then this year to remind them I still have received an agenda.

Are they trying to tell me something???
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

I understand that at the Council meeting this weekend, which is open to all members, the Chair decided that any discussion of the charity application should not take place in front of the members in attendance - but in the 'closed' session of Council.

Not exactly open and democractic...
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

I just find this odd. What on earth are they trying to hide?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Philip Benstead wrote: ... Are they trying to tell me something???
Perhaps the exact opposite. :mrgreen:
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Simon L6 wrote:I just find this odd. What on earth are they trying to hide?

Perhaps they've lost their appeal..?
Philip Benstead

from yacf
amg

Re: Report on the progress of CTC charity application 2012 Jan 6.doc
« Reply #68 on: Today at 23:00:01 »
The latest edition of Cycle hit the doormat today. I looked for a more detailed, and balanced, explanation of the situation following on from the Chair's stop press piece last time. No such luck, in fact not a word on the charity issue could I see. I am genuinely puzzled by this. Doesn't Council think that they should provide members with an update on the progress implementing an AGM decision, even if it is to explain why the problem is just a speedbump not a roadblock? Or do they hold members in such contempt that they see no reason why members should be informed?

Whatever, our family membership is up for renewal at the end the month. BC here we come. If the Arab Spring ever reaches Guildford we may return, but the current regime has exhausted my goodwill.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

well, that's a very great shame, and if there were anything I could do to persuade people not to move to BC, I'd be doing it.
Philip Benstead

Report on the progress of CTC charity application 2012 Jan 6

Progress CTC application charity 2012 Jan 27.doc

Cyclists’ Touring Club

Dear CTC Members

I have place at the link below documents in regard to:

London Cycling Campaign

Friends of the Earth

Greenpeace

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7xjRG ... M5MTJhNDcz

They may help you decide if the CTC is suitable to become a charity?

It is lot of reading and I have split the documents up into manageable segment with names that should be self evident as what they are.

END
gaz

Post by gaz »

Thu 19 Jan 2012
cyclamity wrote:I believe that the next meeting of the CTC National Council is in 2/3 days time, this Saturday, 21 January 2012. No doubt the implications for the CTC of the rejection of its application for registration as a charity in England and Wales will be on the agenda. We read on the website that:

We’ve been here before. Quotes below from pages 2 and 3 of this thread.

Thu 27 Oct 2011
stewartpratt wrote:Also, FWIW I googled "ctc council meetings" and eventually found my way to the Meeting page which says "agendas for all meetings will appear on the website one week before the meeting". Not a sausage on there for October, though. Or even July.

Sat 29 Oct 2011
Kevin Mayne wrote:....

Publication.

Thanks to the posters who have highlighted the lack of papers on the web site. I had missed that, when the person who does the posting come back from holiday I will find out why and get them reinstated.

Perhaps the person who does the posting only returned from holiday after the 19 Jan 2011. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

I see that the agenda for the Council meeting on 21 January finally made it on to the web-site on 25 January - but not the supporting papers (which are supposed to published at the same time).

Nice lack of transparency there folks... perhaps the new Chief Executive could address this as a matter of some urgency?
Philip Benstead

CTC website will 

be available to members in May

Also CTC is too submit a fresh application to become a charity

The charity Commission requires the constitution to be changed

this will need to go before AGM 2013?

The process will take around 18 month
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Philip Benstead wrote:CTC website will 

be available to members in May

I'll believe it when I see it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom