CTC Charity Application Rejected

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Si

Re: CTC Charity Application Rejected

Post by Si »

One might say that the mists are slowly clearing (to reveal the fog bank behind?). At least we now know why it was rejected (so panic would seemingly be justified to a slightly greater extent) but, alas, we still don't know what we can do about it (and I'm guessing that they that are doing the doing (or not as the case may be) don't either and so are not yet broadcasting the fact).
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Why the CTC can't be a charity

1.7 The objects for which the Club is established (the Objects) are:

1.8 To promote cycling, cycle touring, and fellowship IMHO member benefit = banned

1.8.2.4 taking appropriate action to advance this charitable aim in Parliament and in and before Government departments, local and other public authorities, bodies and officers, IMHO legal action and hence political activity = BANNED
landowners, developers and others;

1.8.4 the preservation and protection of the health and safety of the public by encouraging and facilitating cycling by any means including, but not limited to, the provision of legal assistance for the riders of bicycles, tricycles and other similar vehicles in the enforcement of their rights to use the public roads and public rights of way; IMHO legal action and hence political activity = BANNED

1.8.5 the promotion of cycling, including cycle touring, as an amateur sport by catering for the needs of cyclists by collecting and furnishing information for the planning and conduct of cycling tours, publishing and supplying books, routes, guides, brochures, accommodation lists, maps, periodicals and newspapers, badges and emblems, by arranging for insurance and any necessary documentation, and to organise and conduct cycle tours both at home and overseas and make all appropriate arrangements for participants therein, and to promote and safeguard the interests of cyclists in all such ways as the conditions of the times may render desirable; IMHO member benefit = banned
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As any number of very (self) important people (who I' won't name for legal reasons :mrgreen: ) will tell you, even a super injunction is useless for suppressing the spread of info because somebody who isn't answerable to the English High Court will put it on the internet, if it's even remotely interesting.

Mmmm. I don't think we are likely to see Private Eye fearlessly running a scoop on this one. :lol:
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

thirdcrank wrote:As any number of very (self) important people (who I' won't name for legal reasons :mrgreen: ) will tell you, even a super injunction is useless for suppressing the spread of info because somebody who isn't answerable to the English High Court will put it on the internet, if it's even remotely interesting.

Mmmm. I don't think we are likely to see Private Eye fearlessly running a scoop on this one. :lol:

Don't place money on it... I am aware that questions have been asked by that august organ. :wink: