What happens now?

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Edwards

What happens now?

Post by Edwards »

Some time ago I asked questions about the way the Trust works.

Now there is this merger or takeover, what is the position for the members and do the CTC council have more or less say in how the new organisation headed by the Trust works.

I had better explain by thought the CTC merged with the Trust, no changes have been made to the Trust only the CTC. So I feel the Trust has got all the power and goods of the CTC.
I would love to be wrong but in the past I have been right to be wary of the Trust despite some assurances on this forum.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Karen Sutton

Re: What happens now?

Post by Karen Sutton »

Edwards wrote:Some time ago I asked questions about the way the Trust works.

Now there is this merger or takeover, what is the position for the members and do the CTC council have more or less say in how the new organisation headed by the Trust works.

I had better explain by thought the CTC merged with the Trust, no changes have been made to the Trust only the CTC. So I feel the Trust has got all the power and goods of the CTC.
I would love to be wrong but in the past I have been right to be wary of the Trust despite some assurances on this forum.

This is my main concern now that the vote has been passed.

I think the best way to try to see what the Board may be able to change is to look at the changes they are going to make to the Memorandums and Articles of Association. They are detailed in the AGM supplement included with the April/May issue of Cycle. (Probably on this website somewhere as well).

Depending on those changes and the power given to the Board by them it may be that the way the old "Club" part of the new CTC Membership Charity is run might be changed. Hopefully it will not go the same way as the YHA did when their structure altered and Management took over the entire running of the YHA.
The Bard

Post by The Bard »

To be, or not to be? - that is the question http://touringcyclistsclub.org.uk/
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I think that the best thing to do is wait and see how this impacts on:
* You as a member
* Your local group
* National campaigning.

Hopefully that will be "not at all"; "not at all" and "much improved"; but who knows.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
iron legs

Post by iron legs »

I've made my mind up. After over 25 years membership of the CTC it is time to leave. I don't agree with the direction the CTC has been taken, it was a late player defending cyclists in the Northern Ireland helmet debate. The lobbying/campaigning structure is London based and doesn't reflect the current reality or legislative dangers posed by the devolution of political power to the regions. I also don't like Cycle - a poor imitation of the magazine when I joined over 25 years ago. I have decided to save my money and not renew my membership.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I have been thinking that it has all gone very quiet on this subject.

Does anybody know what the aims and aspirations of the new CTC charity are?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Exactly. What happens now:

See viewtopic.php?f=38&t=56857