AGM voting form bias

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Boltzmann

AGM voting form bias

Post by Boltzmann »

The voting form appears to be carrying a subliminal message as follows:

All the "For" text is approximately 30% heavier type than the "Against" and "Abstain".
The type has the same point size so that this is not very obvious.
Will "Electoral Reform Services" invalidate any postal vote which attempts to influence voting in this manner?
This would damage the reputation of the Club and needs to be urgently addressed.
gaz

Re: AGM voting form bias

Post by gaz »

Vote "yes" to motion 1!

Whatever next! :shock: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Boltzmann

Post by Boltzmann »

Well, the designer of the voting form would not like to be thought of as gerrymandering surely?
meic

Post by meic »

I dont think they care a hoot, just so long as they win the vote.
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

Boltzmann wrote:Well, the designer of the voting form would not like to be thought of as gerrymandering surely?

OK, I'll pop my serious hat on for a moment.

How large a sample of forms has been examined to determine the difference in type font?

I don't know

What evidence exists that a difference in type font would produce an actual change in voter behaviour re the vote they choose to cast?

I don't know

Now I'll take it back off again.

Have the subliminal messages in this post affected your answers? :wink:
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

vote no Subliminal messages? Nonsense. Devote not a moment more time to such thoughts. vote no
gaz

Post by gaz »

I usually try to be more subtle with subliminal messages. However I like your style.

I cast my vote yesterday, so your message is too late to affect my choice.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I voted NO.

Sorry, not very subtle, but I'm a plain-speaking sort of person.

I'd made my own mind up yonks ago, and no amount of subliminal shenanigans would make me change my point of view.
Mick F. Cornwall
Boltzmann

Post by Boltzmann »

gaz wrote:
Boltzmann wrote:Well, the designer of the voting form would not like to be thought of as gerrymandering surely?

OK, I'll pop my serious hat on for a moment.

How large a sample of forms has been examined to determine the difference in type font?

I don't know

What evidence exists that a difference in type font would produce an actual change in voter behaviour re the vote they choose to cast?

I don't know

Now I'll take it back off again.

Have the subliminal messages in this post affected your answers? :wink:

Clever stuff gaz. There is much evidence to support the use of heavy typeface when the message is "This is important".

When the typeface emphasis is so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable then the "This is important" message becomes subliminal.

The required change in voter behaviour could be quite small so long as it makes the difference between a 74% and 75% yes vote.

With regard to the size of the forms sample I regret to say that I have only been sent one form but this form contained 9 examples of exaggerated For text.

I don't suppose that my form was any different from those sent out to the rest of the Club membership. Perhaps someone with a form could confirm my observation with regard to typeface differences.

If you didn't notice this on your form then you may have already been subjected to it's influence.

You can see that I haven't been influenced by your "I don't know" messages. 8)

Stay cool man.