Another Councillor Resigns...

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Regulator

Another Councillor Resigns...

Post by Regulator »

John Meudell, one of the Councillors for the South East and someone who has campaigned against the charity proposals, has resigned from Council. He has become so worried about the obstructive behaviour of senior staff at National Office, the lack of support and services to members, and the lack of transparency within CTC that he feels he cannot ethically continue as a director of CTC.

His resignation letter is below:

I have become increasingly concerned at not only the the reluctance of CTC management to provide directors with robust financial information on CTC’s activities, but also the quality of that information and associated interpretations when and if supplied.

Following the last National Council meeting it was clear to me that, despite a clear and unambiguous request, CTC Management had, not for the first time, withheld information essential to support full and informed discussion of the CTC activities and reports. My interpretation of the CTC’s financial and delivery performance does not accord with the view CTC management and the board seeks to project in the annual report shortly to be presented to members, hence my reluctance to sign off on both accounts and report at that meeting.

In addition, the continuing lack of will to resolve issues of service delivery, volunteer support and financial transparency suggests little respect for the CTC’s obligations to paying members and, perhaps more importantly, members that volunteer in the name of CTC. To continue to support CTC management without a credible commitment to real improvement means undermining my personal ethics and values in respect of paying customers, whatever the organization is.

This has caused me to take stock and question whether, under the present arrangements and relationships in council and with management, I can discharge both my statutory obligations as a company director and my obligations to act in the best interests of CTC members. The answer has to be no.

Whilst I continue to support the aims and objectives of the Cyclist Touring Club in its current form I must reluctantly conclude I cannot, on the current basis, continue as a director of the CTC.

I am therefore informing you I am resigning from the board of CTC with immediate effect.

John Meudell
CTC Councillor for the South East

That's 3 members of Council who have resigned in 4 months ...
AndyB

Re: Another Councillor Resigns...

Post by AndyB »

Interesting. I saw that the resignation of Greg (am I right in thinking that's you?) was noted in Cycle with the implication that it was due to a change of location. Was this the case, or was it more to do with the charity and related financial issues? My memory was that it was the latter, in which case the paragraph was deliberately misleading.
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

AndyB wrote:Interesting. I saw that the resignation of Greg (am I right in thinking that's you?) was noted in Cycle with the implication that it was due to a change of location. Was this the case, or was it more to do with the charity and related financial issues? My memory was that it was the latter, in which case the paragraph was deliberately misleading.

My resignation was nothing to do with a change in location (I've been living in the same place for over 18 months).

Like John, I found myself in a position where I could no longer rely on National Office to provide accurate and timely information in a manner that allowed me to meet my legal and fiduciary obligations as a director of CTC.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Thanks - that was what I remembered. The statement in Cycle by David Cox is a shocking misrepresentation of the facts.
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

AndyB wrote:Thanks - that was what I remembered. The statement in Cycle by David Cox is a shocking misrepresentation of the facts.

To be fair to David Cox, who wasn't Chair at the time I resigned, I wasn't explicit in my reasons for resigning in the email that he was copied into.

Being circumspect in my resignation email about the reasons for it was a deliberate act - I resigned before the Article 36 vote in December, as I was particularly concerned about how that process was being abused, and I didn't want my resignation to be misused by those supporting the charity conversion, or to be painted as 'sour grapes'. I have been explicit with those councillors who have been in contact with me since, and with members.

I have been asked by quite a few members to stand again. I have made it clear that I will only do so when there are changes at the top in CTC.

In my current job I cannot afford to be linked to an organisation that is so badly managed.