Stabbing CTC in the back!

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
meic

Re: Stabbing CTC in the back!

Post by meic »

Ah that is why he was too busy to do anything about the coming bill to make helmets compulsory in Northern Ireland.

I hope that we remember that ALL cyclists includes those as far away from London as Northern Ireland
Yma o Hyd
glueman

Post by glueman »

David Cox wrote:[... These incidents are fortunately rare but I am willing to give time to CTC Council because I firmly believe that all cyclists need to stick together and take care of each other.

As an unreconstructed old pinko I find myself disagreeing, surprisingly, with the sticking together bit. I even believe a little free market wouldn't go amiss for a cyclist's coin and fealty. Currently there is no competition for work and leisure rider representation, which has allowed the CTC to occupy a monopoly position in the fear and loathing business. As a long term bike rider I'm as aware as the next fella of the dangers of the highway but suspect CTC overstate how much 'cyclist protection' actually occupies head office's day. I also wonder how many sign up for membership on the 'something ought to be done' angle but don't really care who does it.

If another organisation came along offering group rides, campaigning and 3rd party ins. at around half the price would CTC stick to the high financial ground or find new ways of appealing to the hoi polloi?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote:Ah that is why he was too busy to do anything about the coming bill to make helmets compulsory in Northern Ireland.

I hope that we remember that ALL cyclists includes those as far away from London as Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland tends to be the testing ground for various bits of legislation - presumably on the thin-end-of the-wedge principle, A recent example was the introduction of driving disqualification for things unrelated to driving. Perhaps the politicians over there are so engaged with an agenda that they don't bother too much about things that are not on it. :?
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

glueman wrote:As an unreconstructed old pinko I find myself disagreeing, surprisingly, with the sticking together bit. I even believe a little free market wouldn't go amiss for a cyclist's coin and fealty. Currently there is no competition for work and leisure rider representation, which has allowed the CTC to occupy a monopoly position in the fear and loathing business. As a long term bike rider I'm as aware as the next fella of the dangers of the highway but suspect CTC overstate how much 'cyclist protection' actually occupies head office's day. I also wonder how many sign up for membership on the 'something ought to be done' angle but don't really care who does it.

If another organisation came along offering group rides, campaigning and 3rd party ins. at around half the price would CTC stick to the high financial ground or find new ways of appealing to the hoi polloi?

An astute post that misses a vital benefit (shop discounts) a couple of vital questions

- Is the CTC able to campaign? The local networks are shot, and the HQ staff are few in numbers - perhaps two fulltimers, some volunteer help and a Comms person
- Is there the means to compete against a newcomer? Could the CTC drop the price of membership if the need arose?

Here are the figures. If you believe the accounts (I don't) campaigning apparently costs about £3 a member. Insurance costs under £4 a member. Group rides cost diddlysquit. Shop discounts cost not very much.

Current subs are £37. My guess is that they're going to go up in 2012 to as much as £40 (if anybody knows better, they can correct me on this). Now, if the ACT started selling a bike club (or bike clubs) at £12 a go (the price of affiliate membership to the CTC) how might the CTC resist the competition?
irc

Post by irc »

Well, I'm not paying £40 to renew. What I want is a bit of campaigning, especially on proposed helmet laws, and maybe the 3rd party insurance. If there was an alternative "club" to represent non racing/competative cyclists for £12-£15 I'd join.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
sadjack

Post by sadjack »

The affiliate membership does look attractive when compared to full membership. As far as I can see you get all member benefits apart from the right to vote, lead rides and the magazine.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I voted Yes and no one is going to cyper-bully me. My view is that if someone wants to leave the CTC then leave. Actions speak louder than words. If someone wants to start another cycling group, then get on and start it. :(
jonty