Fundraising, grants, contracts etc.

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Regulator

Re: Fundraising, grants, contracts etc.

Post by Regulator »

gaz wrote:I've never given them mine. One advantage of this is that I am not bombarded by e-mails from local councillors seeking to influence my views on the club's future. :wink:

That's what you think. I'm preparing to hack the forum... :twisted:

*Wanders off to locate hacksaw*

:D
gaz

Post by gaz »

And they accuse the Yes campaign of underhand tactics. :lol:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Regulator wrote:That's what you think. I'm preparing to hack the forum... :twisted:

*Wanders off to locate hacksaw*

Oi! I've got my eye on you, young man... ;)
workhard

Post by workhard »

gaz wrote:However in terms of this being an extremely conservative interpretation of he 'rules' I'm not sure that it was. JT was approaching HO as a member, not an official. HO publish figures on national membership. So at what level should we stop disclosing data to avoid a DPA breach, county, borough, town, street, house?

What "substantial unwarranted damage or distress" would be caused to any individual if HO shared the numbers at county, borough, town, level?

DPA does not institute some form of general privacy law for individuals. CTC has a DP policy that clearly states that it will under some circumstances share data within the scope of the act and to invoke DP as a reason NOT to tell a member how many members there are in Peterborough is a nonsense. ime. perfectly reasonable use of data in this context.
I have some DP concerns with HO passing on member details to member groups. Firstly the accuracy of the information provided seems to be in doubt. Secondly how securely do member groups keep the info?

The forum admin have my email. They haven't passed it to HO. They've held it properly in accordance with the forum DP statement. Some of my local member groups have my e-mail. They haven't held it properly. A number of "notes to all group members" have gone out without using "blind copy" to conceal the e-mail addresses of the other recipients.

But if you've given your email to HO you given consent for it to be shared.... in line with HO DP Policy. The point about not bcc'ing people is often quoted. In this context sharing an email address is a privacy / courtesy issue which doesn't generally fall under the scope of the DPA unless you can show that the "substantial unwarranted damage or distress" test applies. Which I doubt.

YMMV
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Don't forget that the DPA has just changed, workhard, and the new powers for the Information Commissioner brought in under the Coroners & Justice Act 2009 are likely to lead to a wider and, in some respects narrower, interpretation of the existing legislation.
gaz

Post by gaz »

workhard wrote:But if you've given your email to HO you given consent for it to be shared.... in line with HO DP Policy.

The past unintentional disclosure of my e-mail by a member group has not caused me "substantial unwarranted damage or distress". However I had supposed that I could reasonably expect my member group to hold my data in accordance with the published CTC Data Protection Policy.

4.7.5 Release of Data
Users of CTC data must not release any data to a third party in any circumstances.

IMO Not bcc'ing is sharing my data with third parties and is in breach of HO DP policy.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

gaz wrote:IMO Not bcc'ing is sharing my data with third parties and is in breach of HO DP policy.

sorry - I'm not with this. Surely nobody has sent an e-mail 'cc'd' (as opposed to 'bcc'd')? Or have I missed something?
workhard

Post by workhard »

gaz wrote:4.7.5 Release of Data
Users of CTC data must not release any data to a third party in any circumstances.

IMO Not bcc'ing is sharing my data with third parties and is in breach of HO DP policy.

yes you can interpret the policy (conservatively imo) in that way if you so wish it is poorly written imo and capable of a wide degree of interpretation. No doubt you will have taken appropriate action to report the breach accordingly.

The policy is written in such a way that equally it can be interpreted that other members of the CTC do not necessarily count as 'third parties' in the context of 4.7.5

DPA is pretty clear on what your rights are in respect of your email address; don't think the act has been breached by your local groups actions per se.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Simon L6 wrote:sorry - I'm not with this. Surely nobody has sent an e-mail 'cc'd' (as opposed to 'bcc'd')? Or have I missed something?

Sorry on my part. My comments were somewhat off thread, irrelevant to the issue of becoming a charity (or not) and haven't added anything to the debate.

Feel free to move on.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

http://www.everyclick.com/ctccharitabletrust/info

If anybody's got 16 p we have a fiver. :mrgreen: I see somebody has missed a trick and not registered :roll:

:wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17249026

A lot of the reason for the charity conversion really does seem to have gone awol.

In the meantime. I'm still bemused by this:

http://www.everyclick.com/ctccharitabletrust/info