Membership, Groups, services etc.

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
Jimmy The Hand

Re: Membership, Groups, services etc.

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

patricktaylor wrote:
workhard wrote:... Same old same old.

What's the average age of the membership I wonder, and the average age of CTC Councillors. Getting on a bit I suspect. I imagine if there were more younger people involved, harnessing the benefits of email addesses would be taken as read, as would a modern website. There's no reason the CTC website shouldn't be as enticing as, say, the National Trust's, with a 'donate' link on every page. These shortcomings have nothing to do with funds - only awareness.

Having said that, there must be youngsters in there somewhere, to have set up CTC on Facebook and Twitter. Staff perhaps.

As far as I know a new website is being designed at the moment and should be online by Easter, but don't hold your breath as for Facebook & twitter we are there already see newsnet or the ctc homepage
workhard

Post by workhard »

ctc on twitter. oh yes. the tweeter who doesn't know how to use hashtags like #cycling to reach a wider audience, and who, when this was pointed out responded "I'm new to all this and don't really understand it". So hire or train someone so they do know what they are doing.

I'm nearly 50 and I 'get it'. Age has nowt to do with it.

A new web site is coming. What? Does the club have a strategy of being late adopters of technology like Web 2.0 or do they think the website should reflect the members' apparent conservatism.

And, if redeveloping the website has been slow due to lack of funds stop giving so much money to the trust and spend it on member facing things like the website.
Jimmy The Hand

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

workhard wrote:ctc on twitter. oh yes. the tweeter who doesn't know how to use hashtags like #cycling to reach a wider audience, and who, when this was pointed out responded "I'm new to all this and don't really understand it". So hire or train someone so they do know what they are doing.

What, and have people on here screaming about the waste of membership money. BTW - I take it you offered to help?

workhard wrote:I'm nearly 50 and I 'get it'. Age has nowt to do with it.

Well I'm over 60 and I don't! or maybe it's because I have better things to do with my time
workhard

Post by workhard »

J wrote:What, and have people on here screaming about the waste of membership money. BTW - I take it you offered to help?
But of course, the offer was politely declined.

Jimmy The Hand wrote:Well I'm over 60 and I don't! or maybe it's because I have other things to do with my time
FTFY. I do such stuff for a living btw :lol:
gaz

Post by gaz »

Not continuing from the above but a new question on the topic of member groups.

Currently a non-member is expected to join after participating in 5 rides or events, see the Guest Entry Form for confirmation.

If someone were excluded from subsequent rides for not joining the Welfare Officer and Head Office would back the group.

How does this work if we become a charity?

My own view, which may be wrong, is that since we would be providing charitable services to the general public a club ride or event would come under this umbrella. That would mean that a member group could no longer insist upon a new rider obtaining membership after a free trial period. The Welfare Officer and Head Office would back the non-member.

If new riders can't be excluded from club runs for not joining won't it become harder for member groups to recruit?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

It's my feeling that a rider who was interested enough to ride regularly with a group would probably not object to joining the CTC and enjoying ALL of the ancilliary membership benefits - as often discussed here!
Retired and loving it
Si

Post by Si »

Out on a twig, I'd guess that the rule of 5 would continue: It was originally introduced due to insurance issues IIRC. If people who were not members were allowed to continue on our 'charity' rides then it might be considered there would be risk to the charity should they come-a-cropper and blame the ride for it. The risk to the charity would probably override the need to benefit all cyclists? All just conjecture of course, but then again we are talking about the charity conversion aren't we :wink: .
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

To mw3230
Our MG (used to be a DA!) - has found that some want all the pleasure of lead rides and good company but balk at dipping into their pockets. Enforcing the insurance rule has lead to subsequent non appearance - no accounting for spending habits.