The process, the CTC AGM, voting etc.

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
thirdcrank

Re: The process, the CTC AGM, voting etc.

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote:...Why do subscriptions have to go up when the Charity vote has been won and the club will have all the millions of extra money that were the original reason given for becoming a charity? ...

To be fair, it was never likely that the expected benefits of the change would be available within a couple of days of the enabling vote and I don't think anybody claimed they would be. Gordo's waterfall of public bunce has well and truly dried up but the other prize - Gift Aid on the charitable portion of subscriptions - should eventually still come through.
meic

Post by meic »

I agree the gift aid will not be instant in arriving, it should take a little while.
About the same length of time as the proposed subscription increase will take to come into effect, I would say.
Yma o Hyd
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

As part of the majority of members whose reason for joining was the insurance and legal aid I'll be moving to BC's Rider membership for £24.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Grandad wrote:As part of the majority of members whose reason for joining was the insurance and legal aid I'll be moving to BC's Rider membership for £24.

.... if you punt around there's usually a half-price first year for £12 offer from BC ....

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
sadjack

Post by sadjack »

Simon L6 wrote:
Motion 7 - the comedy motion. Passed overwhelmingly. That's fine, chaps. You're welcome on our rides..... http://fnrttc.blogspot.com/

Why do you call it the comedy motion?

If I read it right there is a legitimate concern here. With the rising costs of full membership, what is to stop large parts of the club starting their own "club" and availing themselves of affiliate membership saving considerable sums? Havinng saved themselves such funds they are prevented from sitting on committees and leading rides. Best of the fun bits none of the hard bits.

I dont understand how we can set up a method like this to undermine full membership. If the costs involved actually encouraged full membership I could understand it but £12 as opposed to £39? Plus a £50 admin fee if shared between enough is not a great deal. You only need enough member groups to think this way and we will all be affiliates :D

Personally I would welcome and encourage anyone on a ride but to me there seems some inbalance here.

PS - No I am not the proposer of the motion 8)
meic

Post by meic »

I would have agreed with that comment when we were a CLUB with members.
Now we are a CHARITY with donors and the aim of the charity is to promote cycling.
This is what the club just voted itself to be, if people dont wish to pay to help others go out cycling, they should just join a club and not donate to a charity!

It seems to me that everyone who voted against the Charity has a perfect moral right to opt out of the charity bit and just be in an affiliated club.
Those who voted for the Charity bit should put their money where their vote was!

Also you dont get the wonderful magazine if you only pay £12 as an affiliate.

If the CTC decides to reject affiliates that would be very odd and I would say in direct contradiction of their aims, letters to the Charity Commissioner please, after all HE now decides what is allowed NOT the members.
Then some other organisation will offer a package and CTC just got smaller.

This isnt the only way that single cyclists get squeezed as a money source, you could almost think that the only contribution that NO want from the membership is a financial one.
Our family are already on a similar rate to the affiliated members at £15 each and we do get a magazine to share. Family rates didnt get a rise at the AGM either. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
sadjack

Post by sadjack »

Hi Meic

I agree with much of what you say. We should, whether we are a charity or not, encourage people to ride. But I also think that the affiliate membership should be a stepping stone to full membership rather than undermine full membership. Maybe people will not see the saving sufficient to jump ship from the CTC, time will tell.

Affiliates do get a magazine I think, but only one copy so it maybe a bit dog eared by the time you get it. Question is, are the things you loose as an affiliate worth the £27 you save?

Anyway I digress from the theme of this thread. Apologies.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

meic wrote:I would have agreed with that comment when we were a CLUB with members.
Now we are a CHARITY with donors and the aim of the charity is to promote cycling.
This is what the club just voted itself to be, if people dont wish to pay to help others go out cycling, they should just join a club and not donate to a charity!

It seems to me that everyone who voted against the Charity has a perfect moral right to opt out of the charity bit and just be in an affiliated club.
Those who voted for the Charity bit should put their money where their vote was!

If the CTC decides to reject affiliates that would be very odd and I would say in direct contradiction of their aims, letters to the Charity Commissioner please, after all HE now decides what is allowed NOT the members.

This isnt the only way that single cyclists get squeezed as a money source, you could almost think that the only contribution that NO want from the membership is a financial one.
Our family are already on a similar rate to the affiliated members at £15 each and we do get a magazine to share. Family rates didnt get a rise at the AGM either. :wink:

But the Family Membership will go up. They don't vote on the rise to the other membership types at the AGM, just the full membership. The other rates go up pro rata. So you will see a rise from 1st October just like everyone else (except commuted memberships with time still to run- like mine) :D
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

meic wrote:I would have agreed with that comment when we were a CLUB with members.

well, quite. I'm not sure how the CTC has helped people go out cycling, but you're right, I started a club which, as luck would have it, is the fastest growing CTC affiliate.

I can do without the mag, which is stuffed with ads for mail-order outfits who do nothing for cycling

And, yes, if the CTC decides that it can do without affiliates, then we'll go elsewhere.
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Still no response from Council about what they're going to do, given that the proxy votes at the AGM were invalid. One wonders why all Council members haven't been told about the problem...
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Regulator wrote:Still no response from Council about what they're going to do, given that the proxy votes at the AGM were invalid. One wonders why all Council members haven't been told about the problem...

..............and some wondered why the Titanic hit the iceberg and why it sank. We know now, but it's too late ..................
drossall

Post by drossall »

Regulator wrote:...given that the proxy votes at the AGM were invalid. One wonders why all Council members haven't been told about the problem...

:?: :?: :?:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

To be honest, to me it's all descended into the realms of farce.

I can only interpret it all as some people who want their own way not knowing how to accept not having their own way. The only saving grace for me is that one of our regional councillors, whom I personally trust and respect, is in favour of charity-isation and, although it's against my judgement, I respect his judgement.

I do a voluntary duty for the club, and I will see how this all pans out, but I think it probable that I will cease and write the whole thing off. I will remain active at local level as long as the club survives as a club with local activities, but "this great family of ours" that my parents and their generation knew, and I grew up with, is no more and what a dreadful shame..........
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

John,

Those are my sentiments exactly. As far as I'm concerned we have to accept that the Cyclists' Touring Club as we knew it has gone.

I, like you, have a voluntary role in my local Member Group. I suspect that at the AGM in the autumn I will stand down. I will possibly continue to ride with the Group on occasion. However other things are more important in my life now; and due to the changes in CTC I no longer have the inclination to give so much of my time to it.
JT

Post by JT »

Regulator wrote:Still no response from Council about what they're going to do, given that the proxy votes at the AGM were invalid. One wonders why all Council members haven't been told about the problem...

Greg - Could you explain here or in a PM or email how the proxies were invalid? This is news to me.

Karen Sutton wrote:I, like you, have a voluntary role in my local Member Group. I suspect that at the AGM in the autumn I will stand down. I will possibly continue to ride with the Group on occasion. However other things are more important in my life now; and due to the changes in CTC I no longer have the inclination to give so much of my time to it.

And me. I only got my group going 18 months ago and apart from a lot of help with Ride Leading, I do most of the work involved in running the group. I'll probably give it until November 2012 then quit.