Are we looking forward to being a membership charity?

A place to discuss the issues relating to the proposed change in the national CTC’s structure.
gaz

Re: Are we looking forward to being a membership charity?

Post by gaz »

thirdcrank wrote:I thought that the idea was that being pedalled - sorry peddled - during the charity conversion debate was that in due course, Gift Aid would result in a reduction in subs.

I have no recollection of any official suggestion that receipt of Gift Aid could lead directly to a decrease in subs, only an increased income with figures ranging from the realistic to the wildly outrageous. Of course information was coming out from all manner of sources at the time, much of it spinning at cadences I would struggle to maintain.

The various bits of official information from Council to the membership at that time are getting harder to find. Much of it is linked from here, I have no desire to dig further.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Post by Si »

I thought that the idea was that being pedalled - sorry peddled - during the charity conversion debate was that in due course, Gift Aid would result in a reduction in subs.

Not sure that anyone said that subs would be reduced did they? Rather that GA might limit the increase in subs, or would allow the CTC to do more based upon the same number of members paying subs.

I think CTC should consider offering a membership covering insurance only, on a not for profit basis.

Being an affiliate rather than full member could bring you closer to this. But, of course, if you don't pay the full whack, you don't get all the benefits - which is fine for some people who don't need them all.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

http://www.money.co.uk/bicycle-insuranc ... urance.htm

just googled and found this link.

Why is the CTC not listed?
gaz

Post by gaz »

CTC Cyclecover is a "members only" policy. That in itself is probably enough to keep it out of any comparisson tables.

CTC Cyclecover is provided through Butterworth Spengler, who also provide other club based policies and a general cycle insurance available to anyone.

The websites behind comparisson tables are in it for the money and charge for a company's policies to appear on their listings. So at a guess Butterworth Spengler decided against a listing on that site for their general policy.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade