Bikes stolen in North Manchester

Heatonpark

Bikes stolen in North Manchester

Post by Heatonpark »

I've just had my black Orange Pure 7 mountain bike and black Brompton P6R stolen from out of my garden shed. The thieves left behind a Cannondale drop handlebar tourer, no ready secondhand market I suppose. The thieves ripped out the door hinges to get to the bikes which were chained together through a Kryptonite ground anchor. A £50 Masterlock so called hardened chain was cut through with boltcroppers as if it was string. The bikes were replacements for three bikes that were stolen from the shed last year. I'm seriously considering keeping the next replacement bikes inside the house. Any advice for upgrading shed security? A battery alarm system perhaps?
chris3vic

Re: Bikes stolen in North Manchester

Post by chris3vic »

What type of shed you got? How about bolts instead of screws on the hinges, or those anti vandal hinges. Sheds are a nightmare to secure, but I've done OK for several years with bolted hinges, mortice lock rather than a padlock, and luck I guess. In north Manchester also.
Heatonpark

Re: Bikes stolen in North Manchester

Post by Heatonpark »

I've now bolted the hinges through the door frame. I've also bought a Kryptonite chain which I assume is bolt cropper proof and threaded it through a Kryptonite ground anchor. There is also a steel bar across the door to prevent it opening. Plus a battery powered alarm. These measures should slow down and discourage any thieves returning.