Hobie Mirage Kayak, Pedal Powered

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Woody

Hobie Mirage Kayak, Pedal Powered

Post by Woody »

Anyone got experience or knowledge of the "Hobie Mirage Pedal Powered Kayak". Its a sit-on kayak with two fins operated by foot pedals in the boat. The rider sits in the recumbent position and works two pedals back and forth to operate the fins under the kayak http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/miragedrive.html It looks great fun and perhaps easier than paddling, in fact you could do both at the same time and really move!
yakdiver

Re: Hobie Mirage Kayak, Pedal Powered

Post by yakdiver »

"well it's sort of cycling Jim, but not as we know it" :roll:
KevSoCal

Post by KevSoCal »

I haven't tried one myself, but I have a coworker that has one. He says it's brilliant. You can peddle and paddle, but peddling alone moves along quite nicely.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Is this cycling as we know it? http://rowbike.com/
gendoline

Post by gendoline »

Is an inflatable kayak good for surfing or should I look for a sit on top? I want to start kayak surfing but I am not too sure what type of boat I want. I have read that inflatables are good (and cheaper) but I don't want to get something that might not work as well just to save a few bucks. Any suggestions?
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I always found that paddling moves you along quite well :D plus your paddle can turn you gently, spin you on the spot, help you stay upright and if all else fails it'll help you roll up again. Oh, and you only need enough water to float the boat.
I imagine this kayak could be an enjoyable toym but for my money I'd rather have the real thing.

Gendoline: I doubt you could get "on" a wave with any inflatable kayak I've ever seen. They arent fast enough to make a serious attempt and they dont have a nice sharp edge to grip the water. I would also observe that if you found yourself haeding broadside towards the beach at approx 30mph there would be a significant risk of getting it wrapped around yourself.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you search on "Kayak" there are 50+ previous posts including this from Jac (sorely missed on the forum)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6601&p=45964&hilit=kayak#p45964
stevew

Post by stevew »

Seem to remember that there was something about these in an old Velo Vision mag.
1999 ICE Classic NT
Fort s/s
Brompton
26" Thorn (converted to E-Bike)
The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity. Robert Anthony