Raptobike video report / road trial

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
squeaker

Re: Raptobike video report / road trial

Post by squeaker »

Cool :) And thanks for the effort in making the vid. :D
"42"
byegad

Post by byegad »

Great video! Thanks for the show.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

No problem!

To cap it off, just before I left work today I got an email to say that our Bike to Work scheme has been finalised, so my voucher is on its way. Woo-hoo! :)

I just have to make a final choice on the finishing kit, and then try not to be too impatient...
banjokat

Post by banjokat »

Excellent video, cheers!
RaptoBike

Re: First impressions of the Raptobike low-racer

Post by RaptoBike »

byegad wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I'm interested by the front-wheel drive. I don't suppose this is the first to have it but whenever I've looked at recumbents, one of the negative things for me has been the mile and a half of chain. I suppose there must be some history to the choice between rear-wheel and front-wheel drive. Can anybody from the horizontal world enlighten me?

I've heard it said that front wheel drive can lose traction on poorly surfaced or wet hills. It'll depend on the weight distribution of course.

I think this rumor originated at the higher Flevobike racers. In the RaptoBike the weight is on the front wheel, also through the position of the rider (down and in front). As you can see in the video even uphill starts on wet roads are not an immediate problem. You can get the front wheel to spin when you leave in full attack mode, however this can happen on rear wheel drive bikes as well.

Arnold
bicycledoctor

Post by bicycledoctor »

Hi,
Getting into recumbents was the best thing I have ever done re my cycling experience especially over long distances. I have cycled for nearly fifty years now and suffered bad backs and stiff necks on a whole variety of uprights, not to mention sore bum. Currently riding a Challenge Hurricane which weighs in at a staggering 46 lbs with day bag for tools etc, however despite being relatively unfit I can easily do 25 - 30 on the flat , freewheeling next to my mates on upright racers down hill I pull away even without pedalling - bearing in mind the Hurricane seat is about 42-45 cm off the ground , really looking forward to trying a RaptoBike at Cycle Vision if I can make it.
Get one now ! Sell all your uprights !