New to recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
earbyphil

New to recumbent

Post by earbyphil »

I am considering my first two wheel recumbent. I still have a couple of questions to "bottom-out".
Under seat steering vs tiller vs Aerobars
I think bigger wheels will roll better over the corrigated potholed roads in the Nortwest.

Your thoughts please?
[XAP]Bob

Re: New to recumbent

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Go and try them....

Can you get to Ely?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

bigger wheels should also be more comfortable, all things being equal.

The down side will be that it can be harder to reach the floor...but this can be as much about the seat that you are using.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

USS vs AERO
My first recumbent had USS and i found it quite OK. It was very relaxed for my arms and shoulders. I couldn't fault it. However, two things happened. I went touring in N Yorkshire and found I couldn't manage the 20%+ gradients, and had to walk. Pushing the bike without a direct link to the steering was a pain. Secondly, I gained a GPS and had nowhere to mount it within sight and reach to read the map and change functions.

So, I changed to a self made OSS steering system. It's a bit like AERO, with a rigid, upright riser, but slightly taller with the bar closer. This solved my problem straight away. I had somewhere to mount my GPS, within reach and sight, somewhere to mount lights and I can push the bike up steep hills no problem. I also found that it helps me when I'm wheeling it in a tight market square, or across pavements, or when shopping. And I found that the rigidity of the riser helps me get vertical from the seat and dismount, and as I get older and more arthritic this is a bonus.

In conclusion, I didn't find any appreciable difference between the two in terms of riding (perhaps a marginally more relaxed shoulder position for USS). However, I've found practical benefits to having a handlebar and rigid riser.

I've had a short go with a tiller. I found it OK and very intuitive in motion. But I wasn't on it long enough to judge whether I'd want it long term or not. I don't think it would match the way in which I ride and use my bike, which I'd describe as touring, leisure and utility. Speed and enhanced aerodynamics aren't my priorities. But, I may be being prejudiced here and ought to keep my mouth shut until I've had some real experience on one.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I find the tiller on the Raptobike very comfortable, but I've not done anything else on two wheels.
The USS on the trike is also comfy ....

Any option is comfier than drops or flats I'd suggest
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tank

Post by tank »

I have a Streetmachine GTe which has USS. I cycle it everywhere including out on the CTC rides locally. I love it.

I have a Metabikes Metaphysics with a tiller. I dont like cycling it. I feel cramped on the bike and it will sound silly but having the tiller infront of me seems to reduce visability. When riding it I am not confident enough to take a hand off the tiller to make my turning signals

I have never riden an aero barred bike. I have thought about putting them onto the Metaphysics but never done it.

Geoff.D wrote:USS vs AERO
Pushing the bike without a direct link to the steering was a pain. Secondly, I gained a GPS and had nowhere to mount it within sight and reach to read the map and change functions.

I agree with both of these short comings of the USS. There are extensions you can get for the top of the head tube to make a place for electronic devices if you wish but I havent bothered.

Best thing to do is to try different bikes out and see which you prefer as every bike rides differently for each person
Lonely recumbent rider

HP Velotechnik Street Machine GTe
Metabikes Metaphysics
Hase Pino
HPV Velotechnik Scorpion
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Most important of all is the seat height

You MUST be able to place your feet flat on the floor whilst seated in order to be able to stop safely

Larger wheels mean a higher seat.

As above you need to try them out in order to make sure it fits
earbyphil

Post by earbyphil »

Firstly, many thanks for the replies.
Is there any one of you live in the NorthWest and would be willing to help/show/guide me toward my first recumbent bicycle?
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Have a look at the Azub website, they have some interesting comments on tiller vs USS. A 2.00x20 tyre with low pressure will cope with pretty much anything and still be pretty fast.

OB

If I'm wrong blame Tapatalk.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Go and try them....

What Bob sez.

There is far more difference IME between any two notionally similar 'bents than there is between notionally similar upwrongs, and I mean totally different feels. As a result you can't just assume you want, say, a short wheelbase underseat steering 20/26, because Brand X's may well be very different to Brand Y's.

I prefer underseat steer on a relaxed ride and superman bars on fast things, not getting along with tillers... but I also know folk who much prefer tillers to superman bars and don't like any underseats they've tried. There is no substitute for trying things out.

Also, narrow down a shortlist by function. A Speedmachine is a 20/26 SWB and so is a Streetmachine (you have a choice of bars on either). Even with the same bar types they're very much not the same sort of bike. But don't get too hung up on what the marketing copy says... When my wife wanted a 'bent we took a field trip to NL to try a load, and she ended up buying she'd rejected on paper as unsuitabe for touring. It's done a fair bit of touring since! (A Nazca Fiero Tour).

Si wrote:bigger wheels should also be more comfortable, all things being equal.

But as Dr. Moulton demonstrated, once you have a decent suspension system all things tend not to be...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

May I offer an alternative suggestion: buy a budget second hand laidbacks that "sort of" fits what you think you want. While a test ride is great 1 - if you are new to the machine you will mostly be learning to ride it; 2 - even if you do have a good test ride you will probably change your view of what you can cope with or want from a laidbacks within a year.
This was my experience with dfs, can see no reason why this wouldn't be more significant with a laidback.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd actually suggest both if you can, a second hand bent is unlikely to lose significant value if you look after it a little, and that gives you a very cheap 'long term rental' option if you decide against it...
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

As I said before, I converted my USS bike to OSS, by making my own riser and using a stem and handlebars I had knocking around. It isn't particularly pretty, but does the job for me. However, the suggestion of buying a bike as a long term "rental" isn't a bad idea. If you get an USS it is possible to buy professionally made bits and pieces to do a conversion. Have a look at this site -
http://recumbentparts.com/cat/0/96/0/0/ ... parts.html

And also this site, which is the European dealer for Terracycles in America
https://www.icletta.com/en/terracycle/t ... ex.en.html

I don't think this will be a cheap conversion, but I would imagine that the spare parts would retain a considerable part of their value should you resell them, as will your original USS bike.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Quite a few 'bents have alternative steering arrangements as a standard option, so you could just get the alternative parts from the manufacturer and either fit them yourself or have your LBS do it (nothing actually that outre about most running gear on 'bents).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...