Hi and recumbent HELP!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
aideym

Re: Hi and recumbent HELP!

Post by aideym »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Are you sold on the two wheel plan then?
If your weight is more than you'd like then actually the few pounds you can shave off the weight of a frame is of fairly low importance...

Hi Bob,
There is little in the may of rigidity in my thought as demonstrated by the wobbliness in my gut. However the slowness up hills can in no way be my fault as my positive mental attitude prevents me from blaming myself but the reality remains that something must be to blame. Therefore it must be the bike. My exhausted research has plucked a figure from the air that every gramme of bike equates to 1 kilogramme of body fat.
I am primarily considering two wheels at this time due to a couple of factors, the first being that being from the Black Country, the safest route is via the ample canal system (drunken fishermen and irate barge owners aside). The paths however are designed to dissuade vehicular users and I can think of at least a dozen local points where I would get into bother with the wider track of a three wheeler. The second point would be a logistical one, in that I am also a caravanist and regularly convey a car full of people, bikes and the van, in fact the main reason for the caravan was to get away to nice places and tour them on bike and ultimately there is the cost factor. That was three factors but what the hey.
I am not turning my back on the thought of three wheels but believe at this point the most expedient way back onto the road, doing what I love is going to be with two. I hope I am a quick learner because I hate driving into Birmingham for work and around here the other road users don't take prisoners.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Those are sound reasons for doing two wheels ;)

When you have the machine I'll organise a Draycote meet again.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kingrollo

Post by kingrollo »

Re the canal path idea....you may want to ask around ....but my recumbent (giro 20) isn't great on bumpy surfaces....i slide down the seat....sure you can change the seat ( not cheap) - but you may want to consider something with suspension...

Where shouts in the black country are you ?
aideym

Post by aideym »

kingrollo wrote:Re the canal path idea....you may want to ask around ....but my recumbent (giro 20) isn't great on bumpy surfaces....i slide down the seat....sure you can change the seat ( not cheap) - but you may want to consider something with suspension...

Where shouts in the black country are you ?

I think suspension is a necessity to pamper my behind, which has been exclusively Brooks for quite a while. I had best get some water wings just in case things get a bit squirrely.
I'm in Aldridge in case you're local and near Walsall if you aren't. Whereabouts are you?
kingrollo

Post by kingrollo »

I'm over in Halesowen
phonlife

Post by phonlife »

Stradageek wrote:
Kevin Dunseath is the best bet but he's a somewhat eclectic character who's sometimes hard to tie down. If trying any of my little collection (Kettwiesel Trike, HP Velotechnik Speedmachine and Bacchetta Strada) would help just send a pm. I'm in Northampton

Cheers

Stradageek

Hi Stradageek, Is that kind offer of a trail on your collection open still - I live just down the train line from you and looking at the moment to purchase a Recumbent (2 wheel) from Kevin, and your machines are certainly on the wishlist? I'm an experienced cyclist but a recumbent novice - so not sure if you want to risk it ;-) Don't seem to be able to PM?

Thanks in anticipation

Phonlife