Up for a ride?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Indeboat

Re: Up for a ride?

Post by Indeboat »

Hello Will
Sorry i never made it to your last ride, weather forcast of heavy rain put me off :oops:
Do you have any plans for another soon ?
Hope so. :)
Richard
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Indeboat wrote:Hello Will
Sorry i never made it to your last ride, weather forcast of heavy rain put me off :oops:
Do you have any plans for another soon ?
Hope so. :)
Richard

Hello Rich,
completely understandable you couldn't make it, if I didn't arrange for that ride I would have given it a pass myself. I'm going to message the usual suspect today, but providing they're free I'll arrange something on the 28th. How's that sound for you?

Sorry for the slow response, been a bit busy with little projects.

Will
Only dead men have seen the end of wars

Pashley PDQ, Performer 922
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

28th is a go, I'm working up a route now.

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Here's the map for the ride on the 28th of June. I'm going to make the Show time 0900 unless anyone has reservations, if so I'm happy to push it back 10 or 1030. I've also added a beer stop at the Elveden Inn. Something to look forward to about 32km in. The total ride is 69km/43 miles and as usual the pace will be set by the slowest rider. We're out for a good time not a fast one. Davyboy and Brian have already informed me they're coming so hopefully some others can make it. As always the ride is open to anyone wanting to join us, please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Vitals
Showtime 0900 at 28 June at Angel's Café 8 Chiswick Avenue Mildenhall Bury St. Edmunds IP28 7AY which will be open for a drink or a bite before we set off
approx. 32km ride to our beer stop, I'm pretty sure they don't start serving lunch until noon so packing a snack is advisable.
37km back to our starting point

http://www.elvedeninn.com/
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z6oRe6P99rfo.kEoswV1WMu50&usp=sharing

cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Hope you guys can make it, looks like it going to be a beautiful day for a ride.

Will

davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Hello Will what a great day out Richard coming all the way from Derby Brian cycling from Cambridge to ride. For all off you who missed it the beer was great even the rain was warm. I have never ridden with such a nice bunch of guys. High light of my day I had not got around to re fixing my mudguards so the water was going up my arm to my elbow so when I lowered my arm all the water ran out. Looking foreward to the next one.
Indeboat

Post by Indeboat »

Hello Will,Davyboy and Brian.
Please to meet you all,great company and great ride,thanks to Will for the planing , makes a change to be on some new roads and not have to worry about maps and GPS then getting lost :oops: and of course great company.
I perticulary enjoyed the stop for rain :D Not many rain shelters with beer taps in them :wink: AND open at that time in the morning.
Just think if it was not raining we could have gone straight by :lol:
I also had my fair share of the water coming off Davyboy's front wheels when i got close enough to draft a bit :wink:
Just took 10 mins longer to get home,250 mile round trip,back about 5 o'clock, maybe a bit after Brian got back home by bike.
Very much look forward to coming down agian.
Will, could we have some Sun next time before and after the RAIN stop :D
Richard
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Well we pulled it off again. We set out thinking we may see a little drizzling, ha were we fooled. The rain was determined to have its way, but for some reason we had are fastest group ride to date, and I wager one of the funniest as well. I was joined by Dave on his Performer, Brian on his Bacchetta Giro, and Richard on his homebuilt AZ Warrior who drove in from Derbyshire (2hrs each way) I really appreciate that. Dave ended up doing over 65 miles, and Brian road over 80 before the day was over. Well done to both of them. I'm a bit disappointed in myself. I'll have to plan the next ride a bit further away from home so I can get in some extra miles. Thanks to the rain opening up as we stopped for our pint, one pint turned into 2. No complaints there, all in all a great time, hope you can make the next one.
I'm quite impressed with the spec of Richards (indeboat) Warrior. For the weight he got it moving quite well, well done Sir. Wish we would've seen a few more faces, but this won't be the last ride and the Mildenhall Rally will fast be upon us. Anyway I hope you enjoy the video, thanks again Rich, Dave, and Brian.

oh yeah please like and subscribe if you enjoy the videos on youtube, thanks.

Will

[youtube]tSceUMoR4PA[/youtube]

Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

Another excellent video Will. I’m particularly impressed by the little speed/elevation graphics and the ‘dot-on-the-route’ map’ - also, I picked up some automated speech re. the speed on the audio. How did you do all that? :?

Rich’s trike looks very impressive.

I really must make more of an effort to join you on one of these rides. Mildenhall is about 50km north of me, so I couldn’t easily get there in time on t’trike (no car transport available that day). I guess I’ll have to get up earlier next time! :D
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Summer Rain ! Love it ++ Thanks for the video, Will. There seems to be some mid-ride footage missing - was the lack of coverage of the "pint" due to low battery, insufficient memory or perhaps the rain lasted longer than just the "2" pints ? :wink:
I'll likely be joining you again for the next one - rain or shine. :D
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Tortoise wrote:Another excellent video Will. I’m particularly impressed by the little speed/elevation graphics and the ‘dot-on-the-route’ map’ - also, I picked up some automated speech re. the speed on the audio. How did you do all that? :?

Rich’s trike looks very impressive.

I really must make more of an effort to join you on one of these rides. Mildenhall is about 50km north of me, so I couldn’t easily get there in time on t’trike (no car transport available that day). I guess I’ll have to get up earlier next time! :D

First, thanks for watching it's worth the effort if others are watching and enjoying. I know the videos are a tad long sometimes but I have a hard time trimming done the footage. I want to upload it all, which would be boring to watch and take up a boat load of space.

Far as devices I'm running a Garmin Virb Elite for video which happens to interlace all the GPS data you see. It'll give more but I try not to load the screen up with unneeded telemetry. I use my Smart phone to record my ride telemetry via the Mapmyride app. The voice you hear through the bluetooth speaker I use comes from that app giving me updates on the ride on a 5 minute interval. I like having a bit of music playing while I ride. I ride alone mostly so it helps to keep me drifting off to La La land.
[youtube]gj0d_RdgcWM[/youtube]

I hope you can join us on one of the rides, but don't worry they won't be going away. This is a year round function for Dave, Brian, Jon and I. Lucky for me/us we all live within a 20 mile radius of one another. I will continue to plan and hope people join so thanks everyone for watching and or joining.

Will

Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

Thanks Will. The technology looks very impressive. All way above my head I'm afraid; I have enough trouble coping with my GPS units!

I know what you mean about having music on lone rides. My mp3 player is a constant companion, although these days it tends to be audiobooks or Radio 4 rather than 'the tunes'. :D
TastyBreakfast

Post by TastyBreakfast »

haha these look so fun!
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

TastyBreakfast wrote:haha these look so fun!

They are, I'm planning the next ride for the 19th so check your schedules.

Will

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Hey Will, if you're planning a new route - and want to test it out - I'll be up for an early one on the 12th ? (a family commitment on the 19th rules me out, yet again :( )