Schwalbe Big Apples

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Geoff.D

Schwalbe Big Apples

Post by Geoff.D »

Has anyone fitted Big Apples to a (3x20") ICE? Any comments?
yakdiver

Re: Schwalbe Big Apples

Post by yakdiver »

Not to an ICE, but last night I fitted them to my KMX, 2 X 20 1 X 24 went on real easy too, I'll take it for a spin today to see what there like
hercule

Post by hercule »

Yes, on a 2007 QNT. Tyres fit fine, plenty of clearances. The front guards are at their maximal setting with this tyre size and don't fit as nicely as they do over, say, Marathon Racers or narrower tyres. The ride is very comfortable, goes fine for me at 40 psi all round without too much of a speed penalty. Good traction up steep hills too. They do roll a bit more in corners and I was always aware of the greater rotating mass when accelerating. They didn't feel quite as sharp in corners. Ultimately I went the full suspension route because I thought they took the edge off the QNT's fine handling but the BAs are a reasonable and much cheaper compromise. Still a fan of BAs though - I have them on my Kettwiesel and wouldn't swap them.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Sure one of the early Draycote rides had a few sets of big apples around - discussions implied comfort without too much penalty,mouth I'm pretty much wedded to trykers now...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Thanks for these comments, folks.

I used both Marathon Racers and Trykers. I started on the Racers because that's what was on the trike when I bought it 2 years ago. They were fine, as far as I could tell having had no previous experience to compare them to. The ride was a bit harsh, but the steering was spot on. I was in the first flush of excitement in owning and riding the trike, and everything about it was good.

But, I was entered into a sportive in the Highlands last year. The first I've ever done. So, I thought I'd try a set of Trykers. They give a crisper steering feel. A bit more responsive. But also a bit of a harsh ride. But, they didn't change my average speed. I'll have to change them sometime in the medium term. The original Racers are remain available (part worn), but I'm toying with going for more comfort.

I think I'm beginning to recognise an ageing process sneaking up om me. The urge to go faster (except downhill, of course) seems to be receding. I'm thinking that my full days out, and tours, could well have comfort in-built.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

yakdiver wrote:Not to an ICE, but last night I fitted them to my KMX, 2 X 20 1 X 24 went on real easy too, I'll take it for a spin today to see what there like

Well impressed on my TSO (trike shaped object) I set the pressure at 30psi and did 13 miles pure comfort it just bounces along, downhill was a lot faster without even trying and quite grippy on the corners. Best £50 I've spent.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Interesting - I felt that the ride on the Trykers was better than on the M racers - and it was a shade faster (may have been new boot syndrome)

Whenever I change the trykers at the front I feel like an F1 driver coming out of the pits - it takes several thousand miles before I do - but the difference going onto new rubber is lovely...
PS - I ride like a hooligan for various sections of my commute - hard braking, fast cornering.
As the trykers age (3-4k miles) I start to understeer a fraction, particularly on wet/greasy roads - and that just completely disappears with the new boots ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

My wife has a Big Apple on the rear wheel of her ICE Adventure. It came with 3 Schwalbe Marathon Racers but she found it a bit 'tooth rattling' on Norfolk's awful roads. I swapped the rear for a BA at about 40psi and it's significantly better. Probably not as good as proper suspension but a lot cheaper! She doesn't notice any difference in the rolling either.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

hercule wrote:Yes, on a 2007 QNT. Tyres fit fine, plenty of clearances. The front guards are at their maximal setting with this tyre size and don't fit as nicely as they do over, say, Marathon Racers or narrower tyres. The ride is very comfortable, goes fine for me at 40 psi all round without too much of a speed penalty. Good traction up steep hills too. They do roll a bit more in corners and I was always aware of the greater rotating mass when accelerating. They didn't feel quite as sharp in corners. Ultimately I went the full suspension route because I thought they took the edge off the QNT's fine handling but the BAs are a reasonable and much cheaper compromise. Still a fan of BAs though - I have them on my Kettwiesel and wouldn't swap them.

Ran a pair for about 500 miles on the front of my Sprint 26 - similar experience to hercule above. Changed back to the Trykers (just to wear them out, which won't take long as they cut up horribly IME) and the BAs went onto my Dahon folder where they are working well. Will probably get another pair of BAs for the Sprint, unless Schwalbe change the Trykers to a more durable compound.
Note: Trykers and BAs seem to use the same compound ('Endurance' - sic) so must be another aspect of the design that doesn't work for me :roll:
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think the trykers are more resilient to deformation across the flat top of the tread, so anything sharp can dig in rather than the tyre deforming round it. That's good for grip on roads, but less good for off road tracks where there are sharp stones around.
The Big apples don't have that extra strength across the tread, since they are round in section, and so get cut less??

Maybe?
hercule

Post by hercule »

I've posted this photo before but this shows that there isn't a lot of clearance under the mudguards with 2.0" Big Apples fitted. If you want to go really big you won't fit the 2.35" tyres with mudguards though I think there should be enough room at the rear for a mudguard. The width is just enough to cover the 2.0" tyres though for some reason I couldn't align my guards exactly over the wheel.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Nice. I think the old ICE curved swing arm is much nicer visually than the newer triangulated affair.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Not on a trike but I have put Big Apples on my Circe Helios tandem. I did have 55-406s but the rear got sidewall damage & were a bit tight for clearances so I've replaced them with 50s. I can't tell much difference between the 50s & 55s but they feel better & seem to roll better than the 47-406 Marathons that were on originally (& temporarily back on between sets of BAs).

I got mine from Bike24 in Germany (link) where they are currently 19.90 Euros (c.£14.50 each plus a flat rate delivery of 5.95 Euros ~£4.30) which seems to be half the price, or less, of UK based suppliers. Trykers are only 1 Euro more there too.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

Just back from 375 miles through Wales on my Cannondale Badboy fatty 29er which came with Big Apples on.

I'll definitely be adding them to my GT street-machine re-build as they performed faultlessly carrying a very substancial load. 7 days not one issue.

The only slight negative thing I have to say is they were not very grippy (who'da thunk it? Urban slicks not being grippy!) when I went off-road & used the whole loaded rig as a mountain bike on a path similar to this one, which I also went on:

Actually I even then the front wheel only had one minor bit of slip, just once. Damned good tyres.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

dakari-mane wrote:Just back from 375 miles through Wales on my Cannondale Badboy fatty 29er which came with Big Apples on.

I'll definitely be adding them to my GT street-machine re-build as they performed faultlessly carrying a very substancial load. 7 days not one issue.

The only slight negative thing I have to say is they were not very grippy (who'da thunk it? Urban slicks not being grippy!) when I went off-road & used the whole loaded rig as a mountain bike on a path similar to this one, which I also went on:

Actually I even then the front wheel only had one minor bit of slip, just once. Damned good tyres.

Nice sounding ride. I'm a big fan of Wales. I run 2.35 Big Apples on my Surly BD. Fine pair of rounds. When I first had them they squealed when you cornered on Tarmac [emoji350] Lots of fun...b