Pockets

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
c0d3x42

Pockets

Post by c0d3x42 »

Or Rather, what do you do for pockets about your person while riding laid back? I was out on a ride the other week and trying to eat a half baguette while on the move. Munching was easy enough and i kinda managed to stuff it inside my jacket on my chest for the parts when two hands on the handlebars was needed. That wasn't really an ideal situation.

I'm wondering about getting a fly fishing vest, they seem to have plenty of front facing pockets for gadgets, food and other things you want easy access to. The normal pockets on my trousers just aren't any use without stopping and standing up. Cargo pockets on trousers aren't great either as things will fall out of them. Likewise coat/jacket pockets for your hands are mostly angled towards terra firma and the land of dropped items.

So what does everyone else here do for storage of things that you can access without stopping?

Recumbent specific panniers might be OK, but i'm not forking out £200 on some Radical bags.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Pockets

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bum bag is another option.

I have some banana bags, and they are very good - but they were a gift ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
c0d3x42

Post by c0d3x42 »

oops.

i should have started my clothing search by googling "recumbent clothing", then i might have found this sooner:
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61724
c0d3x42

Post by c0d3x42 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Bum bag is another option.

I have some banana bags, and they are very good - but they were a gift ;)

Do you find it stays in place rather than rotating around?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes, I do.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
c0d3x42

Post by c0d3x42 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Yes, I do.

Cheers for that. Now time for some new ebay searches i think...
tank

Post by tank »

It is possible to get clothing that is designed for wearing whilst riding a 'bent.

Here is a link http://www.benditcycling.com/Recumbent_Jerseys.html.

Just so you know you will need deep pockets as they come from America (its the postage that costs).

Hope I haven't made you too green eyed.
Lonely recumbent rider

HP Velotechnik Street Machine GTe
Metabikes Metaphysics
Hase Pino
HPV Velotechnik Scorpion
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

It is one of the banes of recumbent cycling that "they" seem to think, "cycling jacket, it'll need a back pocket!".

No it bloody won't, I don't use them on the upwrongs either. Luckily some jackets are made with decent front pockets, though you may want to look at walking kit rather than "cycling specific". My cycling rain shell (upright or laid-back) is an OMM Kameleika Race (see https://www.theomm.com/products/clothing/kamleika-race-jacket-2/ and in the wind there's plenty of walkers' windproofs with A-line or Napoleon pockets that do the trick.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
hercule

Post by hercule »

+1 for the OMM Kamleika... I have the "smock" version (lighter and more colourful) and it has done sterling service in blizzard conditions on the Northumbrian fells this week. Waterproof and breathable - I usually sweat too much for Goretx to keep up, but this works fine for me. The over trousers are excellent too. Haven't used them for cycling - but most of my running gear easily does double duty on the bent, no reason why this won't equally well cross over.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

+1. Just make sure that the buckle is not in the middle of the strap :wink:
"42"
c0d3x42

Post by c0d3x42 »

squeaker wrote:
+1. Just make sure that the buckle is not in the middle of the strap :wink:

I got a leather bun bag off eBay in the end, and yep, the buckles could have been better situated for bent needs. Having the bag center front in the stomach defo didn't work. But rotating another to the side I was able to find a good spot.

So yeah, buckle location is of paramount importance.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I have a fly fishing vest that I bought for using on the trike. Mesh back and lots of pockets on the front, all zipped, but I haven't actually used it yet so can't report on it's effectiveness. :oops:

I can report that I thought it was a good idea at the time. :lol: