New here: Dog and I planning on buying a 'bent trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Vorpal

Re: New here: Dog and I planning on buying a 'bent trike

Post by Vorpal »

[XAP]Bob wrote:My child trailer is a solid plastic base, and I think it's better for it. The consequences of feet being protected by nothing other than cloth wouldn't make me a happy pilot

Mine has an afixed rubber mat in the foot well. And the foot well is protected by the metal frame and the trailer hitch. I think it's a good design, and similar to what Burley does, only theirs is adjustable on some models.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RandomNinja

Post by RandomNinja »

Tigerbiten wrote:
RandomNinja wrote:I think I am looking at buying a used trike without power - and modifying it myself (well, I'm thinking my son might enjoy powering it up).

This thread -> https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=77833.0 from the YACF is about modding a trike with a motor.
It goes into reasonable good detail about how Kim did it.
Hope it helps ....... :D

Thanks, I'm off to check that out. :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Vorpal wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:My child trailer is a solid plastic base, and I think it's better for it. The consequences of feet being protected by nothing other than cloth wouldn't make me a happy pilot

Mine has an afixed rubber mat in the foot well. And the foot well is protected by the metal frame and the trailer hitch. I think it's a good design, and similar to what Burley does, only theirs is adjustable on some models.

The ones I've seen have the frame at shin level. That's why I was pleased to find a moulded plastic version. It's a not something's ng I've really thought about since...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd suggest a two wheel trailer behind a trike, they don't lean

This is correct advice, do NOT use single wheel trailers with a "Tadpole" Trike

I have ridden trikes for some 20 odd years and several manufactures specifically state that one wheel trailers should NOT be used

ICE state the reasons clearly in their brochure:

Trailers
If you plan to attach a trailer to your trike we strongly recommend using a two wheeled trailer. One wheeled trailers have no lateral stability unlike the trike itself, so when cornering are able to transmit large twisting loads into the trike,possibly enough to cause serious damage to it.Two wheeled trailers are naturally stable and so do not cause this problem.

HP Velotechnik also specify double trail (two wheel) trailers for their range:

Usage allowed for double trail trailer up to 66 lbs
[/quote]
Last edited by Cunobelin on 7 Mar 2015, 12:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Typo - one wheel trailers shouldn't be used?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Typo - one wheel trailers shouldn't be used?

Thanks - sorted