Tyre question for the two wheelers.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Joe.B

Tyre question for the two wheelers.

Post by Joe.B »

I’ll be getting my hands on my first two wheeled bent at the weekend, a Challenge Sieran 26. It will be coming fitted with Marathon Pluses, tyres which I’ve had before on a DF but disliked and changed for Panaracer Pacela’s as soon as my commute moved away from the glass littered path that necessitated then in the first place. On the DF bike I found myself being rattled to bits by the Marathon Pluses, will they feel much the same on the bent? If so what’s a good recumbent tyre?
I have 26x1.5 Pacela’s on my knock about on bike and 26x1.75 Pacela’s on our tandem and have always thought them to be a superb multipurpose tyre. I’ve also used regular Marathons (26x2 and 700x32) at various times over recent years and found these ok but not as nice as the Pacela’s.
I’ve noticed that Marathon Races and Marathon Supremes are a popular choice for recumbents, anyone have any experience of these?
hercule

Re: Tyre question for the two wheelers.

Post by hercule »

For a two wheeler a good upright bike tyre should also be a good recumbent bike tyre: the forces involved are pretty much the same. I think. I'd personally have Paselas and have them on my upright bikes. Unfortunately they don't make them in 20" size which means I have to look elsewhere. Schwalbe has a good selection of 20" tyres, hence their popularity. With 26" wheels you can cast your net wider.
alant82

Post by alant82 »

I have 26x1.5 Marathon Racers on my Bacchetta Giro 26. They seem fast enough but don't have anything to compare them with because they are certainly durable: 3200 miles later and they look barely worn. Can't remember having had any punctures with them either.
Alan
ICE Sprint 26
Bacchetta Giro 26
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Only a 3 wheel bent here.
But ..........
What I have found out is that, where possible, you're best running wide tyres very slightly soft.
That way you can damp a lot of the road buzz out and get a lot better/smoother ride.
I run Marathon Supremes, 42-406, and I've found that around 65-70 psi gives me the best ride.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes, and of course you don't stand over road "imperfections" as you do on one of those precarious high up things ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I run standard Marathons on my Streetmachine. I get remarkably few punctures so I don't really see the point of the extra armour in the "plus".

I keep them at about 100 psi but then I've got suspension forks at the front and rather more sophisticated rear sus setup at the back compared to the Challenge so while that might work on a Sieran, it might not.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Rubino Pro Slicks would be my preference, if you have the clearance / rim width. Note that Wiggle's description is wrong as it has a kevlar bead: I like the high tpi for a comfortable ride and the dual compound for a hard(er) running surface.
Not tried M-Racer in 559 (but like in 406-folding); suspect Supreme would be slower but more durable than the Pro Slick / M-Racer.
"42"
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

Given the vast number of sizes and diameters available I have been running Marathons, Duranos and Kojaks for many years with no complaints so far. My choice is often governed by end of season discounts, two for one offers and closing down sales. The tyres tend to start on my two wheeled recumbents then migrate to my trikes as tread disappears (enthusiastic trike riding destroys them). The main thing with two wheeled recumbents is volume to give a more cushioned ride (on non-suspended machines) and consider running a larger volume tyre on the front to lessen the chance of wash out on the less weighted wheel.

In the end a tyre is a tyre and it often comes down to personal preference. A tyre you have confidence in often gives you a perceived advantage that cannot be quantified (the red bike effect).
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

I've always had M+ tyres front and rear on my 2 wheel bents. Even on the suspension-less Bacchetta Strada (fitted with 25mm width front and rears)I found the ride comfortable enough. The seat spreads the weight of your body, so you dont get the same seat jarring that you get on a df bike.

To date, in 5 years I've never had a puncture on M+ tyres (5,000 miles per year) but Marathon Racers, Durano etc do puncture. The last thing I want to do when commuting is spend 10 mins swapping tubes so I'd take slightly less ride quality any day over a slightly comfier (?) tyre.

If the bike's coming fitted with M+ tyres, give them a chance, you probably won't be disappointed as it will be twice as comfy as your old df bike anyway! :)
The photobucket images don't work !!!
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

For what it's worth I've marathon +'s on my HP GT & I have no issue with them.

I'd be surprised if you were "rattled to bits" on a recumbent with rear suspension as your whole back/bum takes your weight rather than mostly just your bum as on a DF.

Give it a whirl & if you don't like it swap to the Panaracer Pacelas.
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

Thanks for the comments folks. As it happens I’ve just been given a set of supremes by someone who had gone and switched from a 26” to a 700c bike having barely used them so I’ve got a nice choice of tyres now.

Squeaker,
I have Rubino pro’s (700x28) on my Audax bike and while they seem just as good as the previous Pacelas in warm dry conditions I’ve found them to be terrible in wet or frosty weather. When I fitted them at the tail end of last winter I immediately suffered a couple of offs and a few slides which I recovered. I thought that perhaps they would bed-in and get better but recent wet rides have suggested otherwise. I’ll have to replace them for the winter as I’ve lost all confidence on them, they can go back on the bike next spring though, I’ll get my money’s worth from them.

Back to the new bent;
It has been easier than I imagined becoming basically competent on it. Within minutes of rebuilding it I was successfully doing laps around the block, a bit wobbly at first but no falls initially. The only fall I’ve had was on Friday evening. After becoming competent on local streets I rode to a large local park to practice slow speed maneuvering, and use SPD’s for the first time. My fall occurred when I tried to start off clipped in not realising that I was in too high a gear, (very dark). Apart from that all is well, I rode the bike to work this morning which for me involves a ride to Newcastle station and then a train to Helensburgh in Scotland before another seven mile ride. Again no particular problems except that the high winds resulted me being a little anxious and therefore quite tenses. Oh and that I’ve got no recumbent muscles at all.
hercule

Post by hercule »

That's quite a commute!

Were there any issues with the bike on the train?
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

I don’t do it every day, just Sunday nights and Friday afternoons normally. On a Sunday night I’ll get off in Glasgow and ride from there, it can be a pleasant 30 miles on a quite Sunday night.
The train was an East Coast Inter-City with a traditional guards van for cycles, I’m not sure how I’d get on if I’d booked onto a Crosscounty train with more modern (crap) cycle provision, (I try and avoid these). No problems on the ScotRail train from Edinburgh to Helensburgh, although it only has space for 2 cycles at one point there where 6 of us, they always seem very cycle tolerant on that service.
The only problem I can identify is that the Sieran is not as easy to carry up stairs as a DF bike. I can easily pick up a heavy DF tourer with loaded paniers and carry it up station stairs, the bent not so easily.