Azub Origami test ride

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Azub Origami test ride

Post by UpWrong »

I dropped in on BikeFix yesterday to briefly test ride an Azub Origami, the folding short wheelbase bike from Azub. I only went round the block on it 3 times but I was impressed. Mounting and unmounting was easy because of the modest seat height – low enough to get on and off easily but still high enough to give good presence on the road and visibility. I'm 5' 8” so often have difficulty with tall bikes, but this was straightforward. I found it to be stable and easy to ride. The tyres were Marathons of some sort rather than Big Apples, I forgot to check precisely, nonetheless it seemed pretty smooth over the bumps. The seat angle has a wide range of adjustment. I had it fairly upright and yet I wasn't sliding off the hardshell seat. The bike seemed to respond well when pushing hard on the pedals, a possible benefit of having no idler, no suspension and the hardshell seat.

I'm definitely interested but I have a couple of bikes to sell first if you would like to help me out – a Bacchetta Giro 20 and a one year old Thorn Audax Mark 3. Thanks to Stuart at BikeFix for the test ride.
Rob Archer

Re: Azub Origami test ride

Post by Rob Archer »

This is a bike I'm quite interested in. On going back problems mean that I'd like to go for an 'all-recumbent' fleet and the simplicity appeals for an 'about town' bike. I might have to find one for a test ride!
neil earley

Post by neil earley »

Glad you liked your new bent, read some reviews and it seems a well sorted ride, mm just need some videos of you ride!! :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I don't have an Origami yet, this was just a brief test ride. The reason I'm interested in the model is because it folds, so putting it in the back of the car should be straightforward. Like my Giro 20, it is a stick bike with no suspension.

If folding is not a requirement then I would definitely point potential riders in the direction of my unsold Giro 20 which is a bit lighter and has seat options :) I found the "T" handlebars on the Origami acceptable, but the 'tweener bars on the Giro provide better control. Neither bike gave me heel strike.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

(EDIT: old thread resurrected. No longer have Giro, Metabikes etc)

Just found a new video which shows the folding better, https://youtu.be/r5_nPO90LTg . That's really, really neat.

I still don't have a bent bike that'll go in the car easily and this looks to make folding simple enough that I'd actually use it.