Delta or Tadpole

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
MuirSR

Re: Delta or Tadpole

Post by MuirSR »

[XAP]Bob wrote:And it's not as if tadpoles can't do trailers - they look like a normal rear end, so the normal trailer hitches are fine...

In general, but not always: when I converted my Carry Freedom trailer to the "new" lollipop hitch, the first time I connected up to my Scorpion, I wondered what the knocking sound was I kept hearing from the back whenever I went over a bump. On investigating, I discovered it was the left hand rack side that was bumping against the top of the hitch. The solution, for the rest of the ride, was to lock out the suspension, a simple flick of the lever on the shock absorber.

A friend who has an ICE fitted with the "modular rack" (the one with side bits which you can remove) had an even worse time: I don't think he can fit the hitch at all without removing the side of the rack. The "new" Carry Freedom hitch is a pretty big chunk of metal.

The HPV Gekko trike, with or without rack, has no trouble at all with the Carry Freedom trailer.

Cunobelin wrote:I also run a carry freedom which works in standard form with all except the Kettwiesel, In this case I have forked out for the arm, bit the actual bike hitch fits directly the frame without the adapter

Interesting! Have you seen it done?

What if you have that "hook" mounted which comes with the Kettwiesel Ortlieb bag, the thing which engages on the tab on the underside of the bag? (And that's another thing about the Kettwiesel: if you want to use the standard bag [the one Ortlieb makes for Hase], you have to attach the metal "hook" to the back of the trike. If you fail to do this, the bag rubs against a machined edge of the frame and gets mauled in surprisingly quick order.) So, are the Hase/Ortlieb "hook" and the Carry Freedom "hitch" compatible (without also using the Hase universal hitch -- I know the three together work)?
hercule

Post by hercule »

No experience of the Ortlieb bags - I have the small and large Radical Design bags - the CF hitch doesn't interfere with them. As demonstrated - not the best photo. And the trike's a bit dirty too!

Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

MuirSR wrote:

Cunobelin wrote:I also run a carry freedom which works in standard form with all except the Kettwiesel, In this case I have forked out for the arm, bit the actual bike hitch fits directly the frame without the adapter

Interesting! Have you seen it done?

What if you have that "hook" mounted which comes with the Kettwiesel Ortlieb bag, the thing which engages on the tab on the underside of the bag? (And that's another thing about the Kettwiesel: if you want to use the standard bag [the one Ortlieb makes for Hase], you have to attach the metal "hook" to the back of the trike. If you fail to do this, the bag rubs against a machined edge of the frame and gets mauled in surprisingly quick order.) So, are the Hase/Ortlieb "hook" and the Carry Freedom "hitch" compatible (without also using the Hase universal hitch -- I know the three together work)?

Not until I get the trike

However the photos and correspondence with Nick confirm this can be done.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My trailer hirch looks smaller than the CF hitch, and angles backwards (still rubs on the rack though)

Eventually I'll need a new side, but I don't notice it when towing.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

Cunobelin wrote:However the photos and correspondence with Nick confirm this can be done.

hercule's photo certainly does prove it can be done.

However, it also shows that, if you have the Hase universal hitch attached on the back end, you'd either have to remove it to attach the Carry Freedom hitch as depicted, or you'd have to attach the Carry Freedom hitch to the universal hitch in a similar way to a normal bike and using the quick release.

hercule's photo also shows the top of the attachment point, which is what rubs against the Ortlieb bag if you don't have the "hook" thingy. If you have the universal hitch attached (and no "hook"), it's that which rubs instead.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Have to say I'd love a go on a Kett...

Anyone care to bring one to Draycote ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Have to say I'd love a go on a Kett...

DO NOT DO IT!!!!

Foolishly I went to London Recumbents and tried one out on the park
Foolishly I had a talk to them about the trike and options
Foolishly I was seduced bythe machine and it's sheer fun and rideability

I made this mistake, and am now expecting!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I keep trying to come with a delta tandem hitch...
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

Turns out the Carry Freedom bracket can be fitted to a Kettwiesel with the Universal Adapter, as shown in the picture below.

The picture also shows the "hook thingy" (albeit cut off at the top of the picture) used to secure the bag Ortlieb makes for Hase.
Attachments
Kettwiesel Bracket
Kettwiesel Bracket