Chain Cleaning

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
kingrollo

Chain Cleaning

Post by kingrollo »

Ive only had my bacchetta a few weeks - but the chain is gunking up pretty quickly. I am not the greatest mechanic but in the past have used the 'chain bath' things (i really don't fancy cracking the link etc)

The chain baths vary wildly in price - but those with the handle on look good ? ......any thoughts ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40
Bill Reynolds

Re: Chain Cleaning

Post by Bill Reynolds »

The chain bath with the handle is great. When my handle on the bath-side broke I contacted the makers in America as there is a life time warrantry on it and they took me on face value and arranged with their English importer to send me another. If you want to save money.... white spirit cleans the chain just as well as regards to those citrus smelling and expensive cleaners!
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

OH Lordy, here we go again :)
jayjay

Post by jayjay »

Consider with a 'bent whether you can actually hold the handle type whilst turning the pedals; I can't reach both on my trike.
I use one which hooks over the derailleur.
Built f' comfort.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Simply use it by the boom rather than at the rear cassette...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

Or use it at the rear end and turn the rear wheel...I slap mine in a turbo trainer to do this with my el-cheapo halfords bath.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

[youtube]ACC_PX-GHxc[/youtube]

Happy user of a Park Tool CM-5 Cyclone chain scrubber. I have been using mine since 2010. Plus I like that I can get replacement internal parts (brushes etc).

Andrew
kingrollo

Post by kingrollo »

OK - I have ordered a cleaner ...what's a reasonable lube ?
BlackPanther

Post by BlackPanther »

Aushiker wrote:[youtube]ACC_PX-GHxc[/youtube]

Happy user of a Park Tool CM-5 Cyclone chain scrubber. I have been using mine since 2010. Plus I like that I can get replacement internal parts (brushes etc).

Andrew

That's the one I use. Got it when it was 1/2 price at Chainreactioncycles a couple of years ago. I use 'Gunk' engine degreaser (big tins are quite cheap from Halfords) in it and on the trike it just sits on the floor, a few turns of the pedals and jobs a good 'un. It's worth putting a few rags under the chain line whilst using these tools though to avoid spills on the patio/or killing the grass!
The photobucket images don't work !!!