Drums on a disk equipped trike?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Neilo

Re: Drums on a disk equipped trike?

Post by Neilo »

hercule wrote:I suspect the dual lever arrangement is for someone who only has the use of one arm or hand. UK regulations specify that pedal cycles (includes trikes) must have (at least) two independently operated brakes. You could fit a single lever with twin cables but that wouldn't strictly be legal. I've also heard that twin cable levers are a pig to set up. Some upright racing trikes have two rim brakes operated by separate levers on the front wheel for

I've got one of these on my trike, wasn't diffficult to set up

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyramid-Alloy-Mountain-Cable-Brake/dp/B000AO7H16

Rear brake just for parking, It locks up really easily if used when in motion.

I think with a tadpole you can get away with just one brake lever on two front wheels, due to the seat height rule.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If the highest part of the 'seating area' of a bicycle or tricycle cannot be raised above 635mm from the road surface, the minimum requirement falls to just one efficient braking system. This is clearly intended for (very) small children's cycles, but inadvertently lets most recumbents under the bar!
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations/construction-use

I wonder if the headrest is "part of the seating area"
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mrjemm wrote:On your upper pic there, Cunobelin, is that not a disc mount on the underside of the arm?

I thought that, but the way the brakes work it would be upside down (see the other picture)

Most trikes have the brakes opposite ways up, and this side is uppermost as in the second picture.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Be a devil, don't conform and use a single lever. Why not, your pedal reflectors won't be legal after all...

No, please don't go there! Urgh.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Cunobelin wrote:
mrjemm wrote:On your upper pic there, Cunobelin, is that not a disc mount on the underside of the arm?

I thought that, but the way the brakes work it would be upside down (see the other picture)

Most trikes have the brakes opposite ways up, and this side is uppermost as in the second picture.

Perhaps OK if the cable goes around the cross member? Or using a mirrored (hydraulic) system.

The below seem to have them on underside (though Sprint rather than Trice, and please excuse the massive pics! :oops: )-

Last edited by mrjemm on 20 Apr 2014, 7:30pm, edited 3 times in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mrjemm wrote:Be a devil, don't conform and use a single lever. Why not, your pedal reflectors won't be legal after all...

No, please don't go there! Urgh.

Why not - the law says they have to be visible, doesn't specify anything about what height from ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I wonder if the headrest is "part of the seating area"

I for one don't sit on my head :wink:

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Right caliper underneath, left caliper on top.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Right caliper underneath, left caliper on top.

Unless intended for mirrored hydraulics (Auriga Twin etc.) only... :?:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mrjemm wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Perhaps OK if the cable goes around the cross member? Or using a mirrored (hydraulic) sy

On the left wheel it the discs are still above the mount

This is where I have the issue
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Not quite sure what you're saying C (typing on phone?) but guess you mean "on the left wheel 'if' the discs are still above", as in your 2nd pic, rather than talking about the upper pic.

Yes, if like in the 2nd pic, then I guess there's nowhere to mount a drum brake (what you're referring to?). On Sprints, the disc mounts are both below (IIRC).

Bob, what type and where are the mounts are on your's? Only disc mounts, underneath? Or...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Disc mounts, one over, one under - as on the ICE stock photo posted above
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Was starting to doubt myself, but found in the desciption of braking options, the following-

"Our front suspension is only compatible with drum brakes and mirrored disc brakes, these are disc brakes which are a mirror image of each other for the left and right side and as such both sit below the kingpost. The mechanical disc brakes are not available in a mirrored configuration and so are not compatible with the suspension...".

So only mech/non-mirrored discs have diagonally opposing mounting, which most are likely to have I guess (believing BB7 to be most popular disc option), and current drum set-ups appear to have disc mounts, as per Cunobelin's upper pic, on the underside on both side. Presumably to save on fabrication/tooling.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd have to 'uograde' to hydraulic discs to get suspension then - IIRC it was a drum only option when I was looking...

I'd quite like to go for front bounce and drums with dynamos on both sides - Combined with the 3*9 at the rear and 22-48 up front, or the 31? with the e assist up front. drool...
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd have to 'uograde' to hydraulic discs to get suspension then - IIRC it was a drum only option when I was looking...

Or 'downgrade' :wink: to dynohub drums...

I'd quite like to go for front bounce and drums with dynamos on both sides - Combined with the 3*9 at the rear and 22-48 up front, or the 31? with the e assist up front. drool...

I think you'd need the e-assist for the hills if you loaded it up with that lot! Maybe need to strip it if you do the WWC again.

When you say 31, do you mean a single ring?