Help please! Have I killed my trike?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Help please! Have I killed my trike?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

What's your house insurance like?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

And are you in trouble already?

Flowers and chocolate...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

THat is not a broken frame... This is a broken frame

Failed weld on the Gekko where the joint is for folding.... but they were superb, I had the machine back on the road with a new frame within 10 days and at no cost
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

With all the other stuff this is the last thing you needed.

Wait and see what Kevin says, He should be able to get the tubes replaced using the parts as fitted. But it would need a respray.
So seen as you are already in trouble purchase the good Lady a new frame, then keep the out one the repair later for you using the parts from your Trike.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Edwards wrote:So seen as you are already in trouble purchase the good Lady a new frame, then keep the out one the repair later for you using the parts from your Trike.
Like it: turn a potential disaster into an upgrade opportunity 8) I used to do the same when my wife 'dusted' the stylus on our hi-fi deck :roll: :lol:
"42"
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Cunobelin wrote:THat is not a broken frame... This is a broken frame

Failed weld on the Gekko where the joint is for folding.... but they were superb, I had the machine back on the road with a new frame within 10 days and at no cost

Typical German flimsy build quality 'ey? :wink:

Quite astounding that.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Can you find if it is cracked by using blueing? .It could be through welded but any brazing material would need removing from the weld area. I bought a trike but the seller didn't tell me it was cracked. Luckily a local welding firm did it. No charge as 'it was a pleasure to work on something different'
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I think the comments about house insurance is important. Personal possession away from the house.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

mrjemm wrote:A bit disturbing that this could occur from a curbing. Rather more damage than I'd expect.

Wasn't there some sort of material quality control problem with some ICE cruciforms a while back? I'd certainly ask ICE about the damage and give them the serial number, if you haven't already.
"42"
byegad

Post by byegad »

Looks bad! How hard did you hit??
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

squeaker wrote:
mrjemm wrote:A bit disturbing that this could occur from a curbing. Rather more damage than I'd expect.

Wasn't there some sort of material quality control problem with some ICE cruciforms a while back? I'd certainly ask ICE about the damage and give them the serial number, if you haven't already.

Yes there was a batch of cruciforms which used the wrong steel treatment. Can't remember how to tell which is which now...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I don't know about a bad batch of a frame parts. Neither did I contact my insurance as it is very basic, the only items of value we own are the trikes which are covered for theft from the property only I think.

Both Kevin of Dtek and ICE have been very helpful. I have a new cruciform (adventure HD) winging its way to me. ICE gave me a generous discount though even without this the part was less than expected/feared. Without the discount I wouldn't have been able to afford it though. Hopefully the change over goes smoothly.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Home insurance is still worth checking, and ICE would have mentioned the batch if it were relevant -- iirc they all failed in a similar fashion, fatigue related, not impact.