Large front disc wheels for ICE trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Large front disc wheels for ICE trike

Post by UpWrong »

Excuse the "for sale" plug, but may be of interest to you. Listed on this forum under bike bits, http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=85266
mrjemm

Re: Large front disc wheels for ICE trike

Post by mrjemm »

'Ey up Up,

Just been looking at Peter Eland's site about trike steering geometry- http://www.eland.org.uk/steer_intro.html, and looking at the bit about trail reminded me of your wheels.

Do the larger front wheels make a noticeable difference, through trail/caster(?) increase, in steering feel and handling? I was wondering if they would lead to more directional stability. I know there is lots on the subject no BROL, but the thread I've looked at in the past was rather off the rails and opinionated. Bloomin' long too.

Looking at the pics of the trike 'wearing' them, I can't make my mind up as to whether they make it look good or odd... The height makes it look unusual in a way, but that's probably out of being used to looking at normally clad trikes. :)

Cheers, Jem.
p.s. Did you have any luck in selling them?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Yes, I did sell them thanks. The steering was heavier with the increased trail. ICE trikes usually have light steering so this made it fell more akin to a Catrike with its direct steering. However I can't say it was any more stable in a straight line. I wonder if this is because the large wheels introduce negative scrub radiius at the expense of the centre-point steering. Everything was fine with hands on the bars, but when riding hands off there was a slight shimmy going on when hitting bumps. It could have been that the tracking was less than optimal though.

I had no problems riding it. It all felt very secure but if you prize sporty handling then better to stick with the stock wheels. They did make me faster though: both maximum speed and average speed.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Thanks Up. Interesting.

When I've ridden a Sprint 26 (not sure about a regular one) it has indeed felt light, and a bit twitchy; going downhill fast I'd be controlling speed so as not to let it get beyond me.

Cheers.